Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Stardust
This topic is about Stardust

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (last edited Sep 05, 2008 11:09AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
Have you read any other Gaiman books? How do they compare/contrast to Stardust? If you haven't read any, does this book make you want to try any of his other books?

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Just Coraline for this group. I liked both but didn't love either. I have quite a few of his books on my to-read list; I've heard they're all different. A few people I know have suggested that I read American Gods next.

message 3: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

The only book I couldn't get into so far is The Sandman Series. I don't know if I read far enough into it but it was a little off for me. I have loved his other books so far, Neverwhere, Coraline, Stardust, so I am interested in reading more.

Sandi (sandikal) Actually, I think I've read quite a lot. I don't read graphic novels, so I haven't read Sandman. I have read "American Gods" twice. I didn't really get it the first time. I've read "Neverwhere" and "Coraline" and "Good Omens" and "Inter World". All of these books were so different from the others, you probably wouldn't guess they were by the same author.

Zarinthia | 9 comments I tend to group his books. Neverwhere seem to belong with Stardust in that fairytale feeling but in a more modern context while Anansi Boys and American Gods belong to another. Similarly to Sandi, took me some time to figure out the meanings hidden in the stories.

I preferred Neverwhere and Stardust. I couldn't finish Good Omens, I think Terry Pratchett might have something to do with it heh.

Inter World is a nice YA book and Coraline.. is just darkly gorgeous. I haven't gotten a hold of his Sandman series though I enjoyed Eternals.

He has so many different voices but I love his stories :) So much variety too so its fun to sift through all his books.

message 6: by Valerie (new) - added it

Valerie | 16 comments I love his Sandman series. Coraline was dark and thought provoking, along with MirrorMask. His poem in The Green Man was beautiful and his short story in Gothic was also very good.
I like his mind and the way he writes.
The Wolves in the Walls is another children's story that I enjoyed.

message 7: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:40AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I would like to read The Graveyard Book , that book looks great! I think it comes out Oct 1st???

Zarinthia | 9 comments Angie: Thanks for the info! That's the next Gaiman I'm getting yay!

message 9: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Just reserved my copy at the library!

message 10: by Lisa (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa | 7 comments I've only read "Stardust" and "Coraline" but that was enough for me to recognize Gaiman's brilliance. I am officially a huge fan and plan to read every bit of his work, Sandman series included. I am also very much in love with Dave McKean's artwork and really feel like the marriage between the two of these geniuses is awesome---they really compliment each other's work quite beautifully.

message 11: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Neverwhere is free for 30 days (probably 20 more days now). If you have been wanting to read it, here is the link:

http://www.harpercollinsebooks.com/9E...

message 12: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gaiman is a Goodreads author and will add you as a friend! You can leave a little message for him!

message 13: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

I am sure most of you saw this in your newsletter, but if you didn't:

http://www.goodreads.com/interviews/s...