Chicks On Lit discussion

Non Book Talk > You know you've been reading too much when...

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily (ohmagichour) My hubby reports that last night in my sleep, I rolled over, big smile on my face, sighed and said, "That was a great chapter!"

Anybody else have signs that they've been reading too much (or, perhaps, just enough)? :)

message 2: by Spencer (new)

Spencer (spencerafreeman) | 143 comments Haha, that's hilarious, Emily. I know I've read "too much" (if there is such a thing) when I have dreams about characters in the books I'm reading and we interact as if we were best friends... For example, I had a vivid dream a couple of nights ago that I was having lunch with one of the characters in Agatha Christie's "Death in the clouds" and we were discussing the details of the murder that took place. More bizarre things have happened, but that was the most recent.

message 3: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 354 comments LOL!!!
I've had a few characters creep into my dreams. Its seems to be when I am either really enjoying a book and am eager to get back to it OR just finished reading one I was sad to see end.

message 4: by Emily (new)

Emily (ohmagichour) I do that a lot, as well. Seems like it especially happens when reading about real life characters. The number of Anne Boleyn dreams I've had...

message 5: by Holli (new)

Holli I do that too Teri.....see real-life situations as a plot in a book and I invent different scenarios as to where it could go next. What i come up with is never better than what actually happens though. :)

message 6: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Hickman (bkread2) | 233 comments Oh yes the real-life aspect is something I am familiar with...how about trying to talk about someone who isn't really real but you almost swear they are...I sometimes get to talking to my Mom about a character and then realise I am talking about a book character. But she & I are even she does the same with her soaps.

Oh and trust me my book characters have a much more interesting likfe than my own!!

message 7: by Tabatha (new)

Tabatha (lylathewicked) | 67 comments I know I've been reading too much when I relate everything to whatever book I'm reading at the time. Or say hey that same things happening to me, in relation to one of the characters in a book. Also I sometimes dream about it.

message 8: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
I did dream about a book last night. I don't often do that but I did last night.

Here is how I know (and my entire family knows) that I am reading too much. After I am done or while I am reading I suddenly take on the language of the book.

When I went on my Phillipa Gregory kick my poor friends and family had to endure my take on Phillipa's take on English Tudor language at the time.
The poor lot. I was beseeching favors and delighting in frivolities all day.

Of course when I read Gone With the Wind I am suddenly addressing everyone as Sugar and Darlin and calling people mousey or dashing or a scoundral.

My husband can always tell the type of book I am reading by how I go about talking. Its a sickness ;)

message 9: by Karen (new)

Karen | 5 comments I knew I was reading too much when one day, I was in the grocery story and saw a bag of mini-limes and thought "Oh, I should get these because someone wanted some...." and then I thought about it and realized the "someone" was a character in one of Jeanne Ray's book---"Eat Cake", I think.It's hard enough grocery shopping for my family, let alone the fiction world as well!

message 10: by Holli (new)

Holli I'm cracking up Tera and Karen....HILARIOUS!!

message 11: by Emily (new)

Emily (ohmagichour) Yes, those are hilarious, Tera and Karen. Love it! I don't know if anyone else has read Twilight, but one of the characters turns into something after running a high temperature for a long time. And then a few weeks later, my husband was running a high temperature for a while and I found myself trying to remember what weird illness I had JUST read about that started that way... :)

message 12: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments LOL I know what you mean - I've taken to calling my daughter (and some of her friends, lots of them are into the series) Bellaaaaaah! It was a litte freaky the other night though, we were sitting on the deck way after the sun went down, when the bats start to come out. One went for a bug not far from my head, and just when I was calming down, another one came by and I could feel the breeze from the wings!!! I had been reading those books all day, and I took off into the house right quick!!! Oh, Bellaaaaaahhh!

message 13: by Inky (new)

Inky | 19 comments You must have a talen for accents Tera:)

I know I've been reading too much when my glasses get bent. I usually read stretched out on the floor or on my bed. Sometimes when I can't stop, I've gone face first into a book, only to wake up to glasses askew on my face...

message 14: by Holli (new)

Holli I am terrified of bats Laura...your story up there TOTALLY freaked me out!! I run inside immediately if I even think bats are getting ready to come out. I had one stuck in my hair when I was 15...I sincerely thought I would die! It was horrific.

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments Well if I ever had one stuck in my hair I'm sure I'd feel the same way LOL But my husband is really into birdwatching AND batwatching, so lately we've taken to sitting on the deck & checking them out in the evenings. The one good thing is, bats really like mosquitoes !! LOL

message 16: by Someone (new)

Someone  Youmayknow (momar13) Hello everyone! It's good to be back from the dead! Glad as well that everyone has the same "problems" I do.
When I went through a Jane Austen phase all I could do was talk like a proper English girl for weeks. Just like you Tera, same with any Southern book kick I get into.

Then the dreams, I definitely have dreams where I think I am "turning a page" to get to the next chapter of action in the dream.

Real life illness...Wait! I diagnosed my mother from a book I was reading when no doctor knew what was wrong. I kid you not!

message 17: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
Ok the kicker... and I didnt share this before because its just too strange.

My dream combined the last two books I read. Twilight and The Gurensey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.

So yeah think vampires meet post wwII.

Its official... i need to get out more.

message 18: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (sandila) | 75 comments I read the Twilight series in 2 weeks and then started dreaming of vampires. That was really weird. I starting dreaming some of my friends were really vampires and I didn't know until I read these books. Talk about wierd dreams. No I didn't tell my friends, I was afraid they would think I'd gone off the deep end. Too much reading, not enough sleep.

I have to say since joining Goodreads, joining Chicks and keeping up with my reading list this year....I've increased my books, I go to the Barnes and Noble just about every week, minus this week because of Hurricane Gustav (they didn't open back up until today) and I order a lot of used books from Amazon.

Hi, I'm Sandy and I'm not a Book-a-holic. LOL

message 19: by Emily (new)

Emily (ohmagichour) Sandy, I am totally there with you! I didn't read very much in my post-law school life until a friend of mine joined GoodReads and then didn't invite me because she only wanted people who read "good literature" to be her friends! I was mortified when we were out at dinner and she had invited most of our friends and then announced why she didn't invite me!

I said, "What?! I was an English major, I read all the time!" So then she invited me to join GR and I had to prove myself. Best lifestyle change ever. :)

message 20: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 467 comments What? I looked at your shelves. I think your literary tase is "good"!!!

hee hee

message 21: by Emily (new)

Emily (ohmagichour) Amanda, yes, well, she did have a point. At the time she said this, my subway reading consisted primarily of Entertainment Weekly. Now that I've made the switch to getting my reading material from the Brooklyn Public Library, I'm never going back! :)