Stephen King Fans discussion

The Random - Discussion Threads > Favorite Stephen King bad guy

Comments Showing 1-50 of 109 (109 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Angie | 2577 comments Mod
Randall Flagg
The Overlook Hotel! Creepy..

message 2: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 83 comments hmmm favourite bad guy!!

Pennywise the Clown or IT

message 3: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments I would have to say Randall Flagg, too. I was drawn to him and scared of him at the same time!

message 4: by alicia (new)

alicia grant (shesha34) Annie Wilkes
Pennywise
and Jack Torrence.

Abigail (42stitches) | 19 comments I loved the Low men in their ugly cars and those jerks with the scissors.

message 6: by Juliann (new)

Juliann | 8 comments Andre Linoge - (and I can't seperate Colm Feore from this character. I see him in anything - I think Andre Linoge. Fantastic casting!)

Percy Wetmore / Annie Wilkes - made scarier because they can be the *seemingly normal* folks/sociopaths next door....

message 7: by Steve (new)

Steve | 247 comments Randall Flagg. Pennywise.

message 8: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Hmm... I think I would have to go with the Crimson King, of course. He's the ultimate bad guy.

Pennywise would be my second choice, and then Kurt Barlow.

I don't think that Jack Torrance was bad, just manipulated into acting that way. ;)

message 9: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

WOW King Dinosaur your picture makes me definitely think Pennywise is one of the best bad guys!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

hmmm... Charlie Pickering

message 11: by Steve (new)

Steve | 247 comments I have recently read reviews of the film Appaloosa, starring Vigo Mortenson and Ed Harris. It is based on a Western novel written by Robert Parker...and features a villainous character by the name of RANDALL BRAGG.
A Barnes&noble.com customer noticed the same thing: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Appa...

message 12: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Whoa! and speaking of Appaloosa I want to check it out because Viggo is in it as a cowboy and that is the main person people pick to play Roland from the Dark Tower in a movie so I want to see what he is like as a cowboy.

message 13: by Holly (new)

Holly | 434 comments I'd have to say my favorite is George Stark.....Annie Wilkes is another good one.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

oh, and also, Blaine the Mono was cool.

message 15: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 4085 comments Andre Linoge- and I agree with Juliann. I can NOT seperate Feore from that character. He always gives me the chills now!
Second would have to be Joe Camber. He was so "next doorsy" and I really, really hated him!

message 16: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 701 comments Pennywise- clowns are creepy

message 17: by Elena (new)

Elena | 17 comments Pennywise (Rachel, I agree with you!!!).Randall Flagg (of course) and Leland Gaunt, the evil shopkeeper in Needful Things.

message 18: by Tek (new)

Tek | 95 comments There are so many good ones.
Randall Flagg, Pennywise the Dancing Clown, Tak, Perse, Blaine the Mono, The Big Coffin Hunters, Straker and Barlow, Roland D. Lebay and Christine.

I'd say Flagg is my favorite, but Perse scared me the most.

message 19: by Ren (new)

Ren (iirenity) Annie Wilkes or Flagg (as portrayed in The Stand).

message 20: by Chris , The Hardcase (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1117 comments Mod
Randall Flagg, the Walkin' Dude...

and the Big Coffin Hunters....

message 21: by Loralee (new)

Loralee Knudsen | 2 comments I liked the trash can man he was just plain crazy

message 22: by Kim (new)

Kim | 28 comments Definitely Pennywise. I freakin' hate clowns anyway. Tim Curry was perfectly cast to play him in the television mini-series. CREEPY!

message 23: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 67 comments George Stark. One high-toned S.O.B. The hedge animals terrified me!

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Annie Wilkes will always give me Nightmares

message 25: by Trudi (new)

Trudi (trudistafford) | 150 comments Annie Wilkes, hands down. Anyone who is going to hold me hostage and cut pieces off my body will always get my vote. Not to mention, her "Laughing Place" sent chills down my spine!

message 26: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 67 comments Oh, mea culpa, I forgot Annie! She was scary indeed.

message 27: by Sam (last edited Apr 27, 2009 03:25AM) (new)

Sam i know he shared the creation with Peter Straub ... but I have always thought Morgan Sloat was a fab baddie ... and he had neat henchmen in the Territories - Osmond, Elroy & Sunlight Gardner

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Randall Flagg and The Crimson King...

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, and Blaine the Mono.

message 30: by Cindi (new)

Cindi (cindil) | 14 comments Randall Flagg and Pennywise definately!

message 31: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) Pennywise :)

message 32: by Bondama (new)

Bondama (kerensa) | 868 comments Steve King himself once said that he thought that The Trashcan Man from the Stand was the personification of pure evil....because he'd never known anything but (evil)

message 33: by Cindi (new)

Cindi (cindil) | 14 comments While I see your point, in that all Trashy had ever known was evil, I found him to be more of a sympathic character. He was not evil just to be evil, but rather because it was all he knew. Whereas, Flagg and Pennywise both enjoyed the act of being evil. I could pity trashy for what had been dealt to him, which somehow lessens his "evil".

message 34: by Bondama (last edited Jul 07, 2009 06:55PM) (new)

Bondama (kerensa) | 868 comments Cindi wrote: "While I see your point, in that all Trashy had ever known was evil, I found him to be more of a sympathic character. He was not evil just to be evil, but rather because it was all he knew. Wherea..."

<

Bondama here -- Cindi, I agree with you.... I do think that most of the Gallery of Evil on this page WAS more inherently evil than Trashy, I just thought it interesting what the Man himself had to say on the subject.

message 35: by Cindi (new)

Cindi (cindil) | 14 comments If SK really feels that Trashy is the personification of pure evil, then what does that say about his thoughts on what evil really is? And what about the other characters who thrive on evil? Wouldn't you just love to sit down with SK and pick through his thoughts? The man has the most amazing mind.

message 36: by Bondama (new)

Bondama (kerensa) | 868 comments Cindi, I think that what SK meant when he said that about Trashy is that he was (if this makes sense)"innocent evil" He didn't burn down things or "give my life for you" to Randall Flagg because he hated other people, it's just that he could not conceive of behaving any other way.

message 37: by Cindi (new)

Cindi (cindil) | 14 comments I am on track with you. Examining my concept of evil, I do think of it more as a deliberate way of acting. The greater "evil" coming from the actions of someone/thing who would knowingly bring about harm to others and derive pleasure from it.

message 38: by Chris , The Hardcase (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1117 comments Mod
I also found Lloyd Henreid to be a sympathetic character. His problem was being weak, not that he was necessarily a bad guy overall. He was loyal, if nothing else. Because Flagg was the only one to ever really give him anything, he felt that he owed the man his loyalty even to the end. His degree of evil was that he did it because "good" never got him anywhere, not because he took pleasure from evil acts...

message 39: by Cindi (new)

Cindi (cindil) | 14 comments Lloyd was not the only "new" Las Vegan to suffer from weak. It seems that flaw was the intrinsic fatal flaw for all of them, except for the Trash Can Man.

message 40: by Bondama (new)

Bondama (kerensa) | 868 comments The whole concept of Evil as being separate from the actions of a person is basically what distinguishes horror from other genres. I personally love vampires, but I don't think I'm gonna run into one soon - Now, serial killers....that's something else.

message 41: by Lori (last edited Jul 15, 2009 12:53PM) (new)

Lori (barfield) TEK- put down on 1-15 ROLAND D. How can you put him down as a bad guy? Most definitely Pennywise & Randall Flagg- along with- George Stark {not a very nice guy}-Annie Wilkes-Blaine's a pain how about- Tick Tock-Charles Pickering -by no way last is Leland Gaunt.{oh yes we're having fun now}

message 42: by Bondama (new)

Bondama (kerensa) | 868 comments At the very start of this discussion, Angie mentioned the Overlook. I don't know how many of you ever had the chance to go to Estes Park , Colorado, and SEE the hotel itself. It's actually called The Stanley, but the miniseries that King prefers so much over Kubrick's version was actually filmed there, and the entire basement is given over to a "museum" about the Overlook, and the miniseries -- you can see the Ballroom where King played the band leader, and the bar, the scene of the climax of The Shining. It's fantastic!! -- It's not really all alone up in the mountains, but part of the town, but for any King fan, it's a REAL trip!!

message 43: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Boo (betsyboo) | 195 comments I would love to go to the Stanley! A friend of my daughter's went there a couple of years ago for his brother's wedding and he took lots of pictures for me. It looks sooooo cool!

My favorite bad guy was Annie...she was a very interesting character. But for me, the SCARIEST bad guy was TAK!

message 44: by Juli (new)

Juli Cady Ryan (artnut) Randall Flagg, for sure! Who can be so cool one minute and so scary the next?

message 45: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

If you go to the Shinning thread... I have some pics from my visit to the Stanley posted there.

message 46: by Robin (new)

Robin Jack Torrence because he is an example of how people can be twisted by a collision between upbringing, choices (alcohol) and events. I like Randall Flagg but he represents supernatural evil and I find the evil within ordinary people much more freightening.

message 47: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Chambers | 2 comments The Overlook for scariness and George Stark for style!

message 48: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) Professor Woodbury -- Lisey's Story

The Ship & Aliens -- Tommyknockers

Percy Wetmore -- Green Mile

message 49: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 609 comments It's gotta be Flagg, I'm attracted to and highly repelled by him all at the same time. But I think my first introduction to him in Eyes of the Dragon when I was a child is the Flagg that sticks with me the most. Just so cruel and wicked, and the part where he's climbing the tower up to get to the prince sent my heart pounding, I wanted to shout hurry Peter hurry!

message 50: by Nilofer (new)

Nilofer (nilofers) | 83 comments Lori wrote: "Professor Woodbury -- Lisey's Story

The Ship & Aliens -- Tommyknockers

Percy Wetmore -- Green Mile"

Yeah, Percy in Green Mile was pretty awful. Other entries for me would be the bar-owner at the Tap in Talisman, Junior Rennie from Under the Dome, and Randall Flagg in Stand - an uber-bad guy.

« previous 1 3