Bloggers Unite™ discussion

What books are you reading right now?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Bobbie (last edited Sep 05, 2008 08:25AM) (new)

Bobbie  Crawford | 197 comments Mod
I'm reading 'Eyewitness Auschwitz: Three Years in the Gas Chambers' By Filip Muller and 'Wild Nights' By Joyce Carol Oates.

I just finished 'To Seduce A Sinner' (The Legend of the Four Soldiers) By Elizabeth Hoyt & 'Rage: The True Story of Sibling Murder' By Jerry Langton.

What books are you reading?

message 2: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 28 comments I'm currently reading Darfur Diaries by Jen Marlowe and The Cosmic Verses: A Rhyming History of the Universe by James Muirden for non-fiction. Those usually take me a while to finish.

For fiction I'm reading Always to Remember by Lorraine Heath and I'm working on a romance anthology called The True Love Wedding Dress.

message 3: by P. (new)

P. (shimizusan) | 66 comments 'The Master Forgerer' William Heaney (it's fantastic)
'The Electric Church' Jeff Somers (too many 'f' words killing the plot!)

message 5: by P. (new)

P. (shimizusan) | 66 comments One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and Esther's Inheritance

Both very different but quite satisfying.

message 6: by Cara (new)

Cara Lee (caralopezlee) I read Cuckoo's Nest years ago, Zee, and I thought it was engrossing. I'll be interested to hear if you think it stands the test of time, or if it has become dated. Zee wrote: "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and Esther's Inheritance

Both very different but quite satisfying."

message 7: by Cara (new)

Cara Lee (caralopezlee) I'm re-reading The Hummingbird's Daughter, because my book club is reading it. I gave it 5 stars the first time, and now I'm enjoying taking a closer look at how the author worked his magic.
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 8: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (eclecticreading) I am currently reading Gogol's Dead Souls, Alcott's Little Women and Bokenkotter's A Concise History of the Catholic Church =)

message 9: by P. (new)

P. (shimizusan) | 66 comments Cara wrote: "I read Cuckoo's Nest years ago, Zee, and I thought it was engrossing. I'll be interested to hear if you think it stands the test of time, or if it has become dated. Zee wrote: "One Flew Over ..."</i>

So far the Kesey is turning out a lot denser than I anticipated. He's a wonderful writer. I've decided to take my time with him and really enjoy it. I'll be writing a review of it once I've finished.

Right now I'm speeding through [book:The Lovely Bones
. Quite surprised by the negative reviews it got on goodreads, as I finf it totally engrossing. I read 150 pages yesterday in one sitting. It's THAT GOOD. I recommend it for your bookclub Cara. It deals with death and loss in a most unique way.

message 10: by P. (new)

P. (shimizusan) | 66 comments Li wrote: "I am currently reading Gogol's Dead Souls, Alcott's Little Women and Bokenkotter's A Concise History of the Catholic Church =)"

I've never read any Gogol... can you recommend any of his work for a first-timer?

message 11: by Tesni (last edited May 24, 2010 04:29AM) (new)

Tesni (ohmarcello) Currently reading: Finding Cassie Crazy by Jaclyn Moriarty

Before That I Read:Unwind by Neal Schusterman

Next I'll Read: The Book of Everythingby Guus Kuijer

message 12: by Cara (new)

Cara Lee (caralopezlee) Zee wrote: "Cara wrote: "I read Cuckoo's Nest years ago, Zee, and I thought it was engrossing. I'll be interested to hear if you think it stands the test of time, or if it has become dated. Zee wrote: "[book:O..."

Thanks for recommending "The Lovely Bones." I've long wanted to read that book. So much to read, never enough time...

message 13: by P. (new)

P. (shimizusan) | 66 comments Cara wrote: "Zee wrote: "Cara wrote: "I read Cuckoo's Nest years ago, Zee, and I thought it was engrossing. I'll be interested to hear if you think it stands the test of time, or if it has become dated. Zee wro..."

You're welcome. I was put off by its popularity at first, but I was greatly mistaken. I guess I should stop disdaining books that get a lot of hype!

message 14: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (eclecticreading) Zee wrote: "I've never read any Gogol... can you recommend any of his work for a first-timer?"

I honestly don't know what to recommend for a first-timer given that Dead Souls was my first Gogol book! He's written a number of short stories (found this one while looking at his life: The Collected Tales of Nikolai Gogol), maybe you could start there? Sorry I can't be of more help =(

I'm currently reading Terry Pratchett's Going Postal for a change of pace and Timothy Ware's The Orthodox Church: New Edition for a bit of nonfiction.

message 15: by P. (new)

P. (shimizusan) | 66 comments Li wrote: "Zee wrote: "I've never read any Gogol... can you recommend any of his work for a first-timer?"

I honestly don't know what to recommend for a first-timer given that Dead Souls was my f..."

:) That's alright. Thanks anyway, I'll try to check out Dead Souls when I get a minute. The short stories sound good though...

message 16: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (eclecticreading) Zee wrote: "Li wrote: "Zee wrote: "I've never read any Gogol... can you recommend any of his work for a first-timer?"

I honestly don't know what to recommend for a first-timer given that Dead Souls and Charles Dickens's Little Dorrit (at long last---it was given to me as a Christmas present and I've only gotten around to reading it now xD)

message 17: by J.R. (new)

J.R. | 33 comments I just finished Tyler Dilt's A King of Infinite Space. Recommended. I'm also reading John Vaillant's The Tiger, George Gissing's Private Papers of Henry Ryecroft and Kae Cheatam's The Adventures of Elizabeth Fortune.

message 18: by Tesni (new)

Tesni (ohmarcello) Currently reading: Massive by Julia Bell

Before That I Read: Paper Towns by John Green

Next I'll Read: Monsters of Menby Patrick Ness

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) Just finished Glutton For Pleasure by Alisha Rai, very enjoyable! I'm currently reading Seneca Surrender by Gen Baily.

message 20: by J.R. (new)

J.R. | 33 comments Ijust finished Kae Cheatam's The Adventures of Elizabeth Fortune. Highly recommended if you like strong, enterprising women, historical or western fiction, adventure and/or romance.

message 21: by D.K. (new)

D.K. (dkgaston) | 8 comments I'm reading Six Easy Pieces by Walter Mosley. It's a collecting of Easy Rawlings short stories that connect into one bigger story. Pretty good so far.

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) Still reading Seneca Surrender and I'm also reading Marked by Elisabeth Naughton.

message 23: by P. (new)

P. (shimizusan) | 66 comments The Rum Diary: A Novel, Things Fall Apart, Winter Trees, Disgrace and a new novel courtesy of Ami Blackwelder The Hunted of 2060.

Long list to read!

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) Finished Seneca Surrender awhile ago and Marked as well which was great my review for that is up if you all want to check it out!

Just finished Fangs for the Memories by Cricket Starr last night, also a very good read. Going to start Moon Called by Patricia Briggs soon.

message 25: by Tesni (new)

Tesni (ohmarcello) Currently reading: Perfume: The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Süskind

Before That I Read: Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma

Next I'll Read: Make Lemonade by Virginia Euwer Wolff

message 26: by Bobbie (new)

Hey, Tez --- How is Perfume: The Story of a Murder? I watched the movie and enjoyed it; even if it was a little creepy. ;-)

I am reading Therapy: A Novel by Harrie Rose...it's really controversial so I think that it'll get people talking! :-)

Therapy, A Novel by Harrie Rose

message 27: by Maria (new)

Maria | 3 comments I'm reading The Angel's Game and The Beatle Man
Enjoying both of them :)

message 28: by Tesni (new)

Tesni (ohmarcello) Bobbie wrote: "Hey, Tez --- How is Perfume: The Story of a Murder? I watched the movie and enjoyed it; even if it was a little creepy. ;-)

I am reading Therapy: A Novel by Harrie Rose...it's really controversial..."

I couldn't finish it, actually. At one point it went for almost thirty pages without any dialogue, which made it terribly hard to get through. And I found it totally impossible to like the murderer of the title.

I'm currently reading Bonjour Tristesse, which is much better.

message 29: by Holly (new)

Holly Weiss (hollyweiss) I just finished My Name is Mary Sutter.

I was virtually mesmirized by Russian Winter by Daphne Kalotay. Really study the cover before you read it. Russian Winter

Stormi (BMReviewsohmy) (bmreviewsohmy) I am reading Damaged by Pamela Callow and The Body Finder (Body Finder, #1) by Kimberly Derting

message 31: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Youngerman (byoungerman) | 15 comments I am currently reading The Bird Artist: A Novel. I had put it down to read a different book and have now picked it up again.

message 32: by David (last edited Sep 14, 2010 03:50PM) (new)

David (wareagle) | 3 comments I am currently reading Prophecy of Swords. It's the first book I have picked up to read since I was in the Army in 1996.... yeah I haven't read a book in a long time.... and might not have ever gotten interested again if it hadn't been for Kindle. I love ebooks now!!

message 33: by Bobbie (new)

I'm reading Game, Set, Life by Wayne Street Jr.

Game, Set, Life by Wayne J Street Jr.

What an amazing guy! WOW!

message 34: by J. Rosemary (last edited Apr 09, 2011 06:24AM) (new)

J. Rosemary Moss (jrosemarymoss) I read a bunch of books at once. Currently they include:

Snowball in Hell (Doyle and Spain, #1) by Josh Lanyon Snowball in Hell by Josh Lanyon, a WWII era M/M romance and mystery.

Revelation (Matthew Shardlake Mysteries) by C.J. Sansom Revelation by C.J.Sansom, one of the Matthew Shardlake Mysteries set in Tudor England.

Rebellion (Chronicles of Charanthe) by Rachel Cotterill Rebellion by Rachel Cotterill, a fantasy novel set in a repressive Imperialistic regime.

All the books are on Kindle--I buy only Kindle books or e-books now. Paper books take up too much room!

message 35: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Carlson (lauriehere) | 18 comments The Story of Beautiful Girl, A Novel by Rachel Simon and Summer Rental by Mary Kay Andrews both on my Kindle!

message 36: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannyan) | 12 comments I'm currently reading Before I go to sleep by S.J. Watson. Hard to put down...

message 37: by Unicorngirl (last edited Aug 27, 2011 02:03PM) (new)

Unicorngirl | 1 comments I just finished The Gamble of the Godless and really liked it. now I'm starting Shaman's Crossing, which has been sitting on my shelf for a while.

message 38: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Carlson (lauriehere) | 18 comments "After the Party" by Lisa Jewell. It's the long awaited sequel to "Ralph's Party" that was out during the mid-90's, if I am right?
This is a SUPER book! Really engages the reader!
Laurie

message 40: by Beth (new)

Beth I read quite a diverse set of books in August and enjoyed them all:

An Elevated View: Colorado Writers on Writing (an excellent essay anthology)
Carte Blanche
On the Wrong Track
Quick Service (a hoot and a half!)
Heaven's Keep

...and I'm currently reading
The Roald Dahl Omnibus: Perfect Bedtime Stories for Sleepless Nights, an excellent collection of faintly creepy short stories.

message 41: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Hendrix (sheilahendrix) I'm reading Chasing Fire by Nora Roberts and Harbor Lights by Sherryl Woods.

message 42: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Griffin (authorgeraldggriffin) | 161 comments Beth wrote: "I read quite a diverse set of books in August and enjoyed them all:

An Elevated View: Colorado Writers on Writing (an excellent essay anthology)
Carte Blanche
[book..."

Beth, please visit my blog, http://geraldggriffin.blogspot.com, read the review of OF GOOD AND EVIL, and if this stimulates your interes as it does most, you may enjoy reading this novel.

message 43: by Angel (new)

Angel  (gypsylibrarian) | 11 comments Currently reading:

* Paulo Freire, Teachers as Cultural Workers
* C.S. Goto, Blood Ravens: The Dawn of War Omnibus
* Conan, Vol. 5: Rogues in the House and Other Stories

And I have a couple others up next. Feel free to look over my profile page. Best.

message 44: by Farrah (new)

Farrah Currently Reading:

Factotumby DM Cornish

Appetite for Reduction: Fast and Filling Low-Fat Vegan Meals GREAT VEGAN COOKBOOK!

message 45: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (eclecticreading) I'm currently reading Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game (which I've been meaning to read for a very long time now), Bram Stoker's Dracula (I started reading this book last year but then stopped a few chapters in. I decided to start reading it again but yeah, it's a bit boring at the moment) and re-reading Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey =)

Michelle (In Libris Veritas) (shadowrose) Well I finished Fading Into Magic today but I'm waiting to post my review until it's release date on the 25th.

I'm still reading The Way of Kings, and I'm starting Aaron & Keja: Time Dragon. I won it on First-reads so I need to get a review of it done.

message 47: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (eclecticreading) Michelle wrote: "I'm still reading The Way of Kings, and I'm starting Aaron & Keja: Time Dragon. I won it on First-reads so I need to get a review of it done."

I hope you're enjoying The Way With Kings; it's on my to-read list but I love Brandon Sanderson's works so I'm looking forward to reading it =)

message 48: by Michelle (In Libris Veritas) (last edited Oct 24, 2011 01:11PM) (new)

Michelle (In Libris Veritas) (shadowrose) Li wrote: "I hope you're enjoying The Way With Kings; it's on my to-read list but I love Brandon Sanderson's works so I'm looking forward to reading it =) "

I am! It's just so long that I tend to take a lot of breaks from it. I love his writing, but I've only read one book from him and that's Elantris. Which is one of my favorite fantasy novels.

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 46 comments I'm finally reading The Nanny Diaries (Nanny #1) by Emma McLaughlin . It's been on my TBR since it came out.

message 50: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Griffin (authorgeraldggriffin) | 161 comments Right now, I'm re-reading my suspense thriller OF GOOD AND EVIL in preparation for my upcoming online book tour November 7-18. Through these dates there will be 17 excellent tour hosts with compelling blogs on my book and myself, including reviews, answered questions, and other fascinating content unique to each host.

Really, it's a sumptuous reader's feast with a party atmosphere, not to mention a blogger's delight. To join the party, simply click on my tour page, http://nurtureyourbooks.com/vbtblog/?... , choose from the hosts listed on the date of their appearance, click their blog, and presto --- your festivity begins! Dress is optional, but not the fun!

« previous 1