Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Help Identify a Movie?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane (new)

Diane I have been trying to identify a movie that I saw in my youth...like, the early 60's! Here's the only scene I remember:

A group of people are being led through the city, trying to escape the Nazi troups that are on patrol. In the group is a young mother and her baby. At one point they are hiding down a dark alley and the baby starts to get fussy, the mother is told to keep it quiet. She puts her hand over the baby's mouth. Just as it looks like they might be safe, she looks down at the baby and realizes that she has smothered it, and screams...

That is all I remember. I know I was younger than 10 when I saw it, but I have never been able to figure out what it was that we were watching. It might not even be a movie...I was a HUGE fan of Twilight Zone, Outer Limits and One Step Beyond...so it might be a TV program.

Thanks!

message 2: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5484 comments That same thing happens in the last episode of MASH. There aren't any Nazis in MASH, obviously.

message 3: by George (new)

George | 951 comments Colonel Flagg came reasonably close. but, the scene has been done in a number of movies.

message 4: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) I know I've seen that exact scene - I think it's from an old episode of Twilight Zone - my mental image is of it in B/W.

message 5: by Diane (new)

Diane I definately saw it in black & white...like I said, it was in the very early 60's and I was watching it on the TV. So, I know it wasn't MASH! This has been driving me nuts for years! Thanks guys!

message 6: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 469 comments Sounds like a similar scene I remember in a TV movie.
Im not sure if it from "The Holocaust" or the "Winds of War", but it was a WWII movie.

A group of people are hiding in a celler, sewer; they are trying to escape the Nazis during the Warsaw appraising.
A baby starts to cry and a fighter/soldier offers to help the exhausted mother. She hands him the baby and after a few minutes he stops crying. When he hands the baby back, the mother discovers the baby has been smothered.

Watching that scene as a kid was very disturbing.

message 7: by George (new)

George | 951 comments Well, if I recall correctly, I think I remember this as a scene in 5 Branded Women. It starred Van Heflin and took place in Yugoslavia during the Nazi occupation. The 5 women are accused of collaborating and sleeping with Germans and have their heads shaved early on, but end up fighting with the Yugolsavian resistance. Could be wrong, it's been over 20 years since I've seen it. But, as I said before, it's been done in several films.

message 8: by Jim (last edited Sep 07, 2008 06:55AM) (new)

Jim (jim_) Diane, I may be wrong, but I think that movie could have been 36 Hours.

message 9: by Becca (new)

Becca (becca2) | 86 comments Rob--that MASH episode was one of the most influential TV episodes in my life. My uncle was a POW in Korea twice. I was not born until 1967 so I knew nothing of that war personally. The family always cautioned the children not to upset him, and it was very confusing for us. When I saw that episode, conversations that were between adults only and that had occurred during my childhood floated back and things started to click in place for me. Powerful, powerful stuff.