Lamphere Honor Students discussion

Summer Reading Reviews > Silent Spring

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1 comments Reading Silent Spring is not a walk in the park; you need to have dedication and determination to read this complex book. This book may not be a pleasurable read, but it is without doubt a book that will spark your interest to take care of the world and everything on it. I would recommend it for college students and adults because most teenagers would find Carson’s statistical style “boring”. In the more recently published Silent Spring books, there is an introduction by Al Gore. I highly suggest reading it because he tells how this story changed the world and the people that reside in it. The first chapter, “A Fable for Tomorrow” is an exceptional beginning because she describes a perfect town, but as the chapter progresses it quickly becomes a ghost town because of the hazardous effects of pesticides. Rachel Carson has now become one of my role models because her book contributed to the start of the environmentalist movement in the late 20th century.
Rachel Carson could not tolerate the way the human race was affecting the planet. She did not like our disregard for the plants and animals that live on it. She thought people should know the truths behind pesticides, insecticides and herbicides; so she wrote Silent Spring. I enjoyed reading all of the research she compiled and all the data she collected from other scientists. It was cumbersome to digest, but through her data you learn just how strongly Ms. Carson feels about this problem. She follows her heart, exposes the dangers of pesticides and demands a course of action.
Rachel Carson writes in the first person, explaining to people what they do not know and what they do not want to know about pesticides. She warns that we may think we are only affecting one plant or one insect, but really we are hurting the entire ecosystem. Through the author’s style, we are made aware that humans and animals are born already poisoned by harmful pesticides. Rachel Carson discloses this information to enlist you as part of her team to stop this problem. Humans need to consider their environment before themselves. As keepers of the planet, we have a responsibility to protect nature. Foresight and intelligence must be used to find alternatives to insecticides that make natural species morph or die. In reality we are also using these deadly, dangerous poisons to hurt the ones we love.
The conflicts in this book are person vs. society and person vs. nature. The first conflict involves Rachel Carson (and others against pesticides like DDT) vs. people who are for and use these poisons. The second conflict would be pesticide users vs. weeds and insects they want to eliminate. The author is definitely successful at conveying her foreboding about pesticides, she uses the broken record technique, but she changes the supporting details. I really believe this technique focuses our attention on the main idea.
I have always admired the dedication of strong individuals and believed that the sharing of information can lead to great accomplishments. Rachel Carson wrote this story to improve the lives of others and encourage them to make a difference too. Her message stirred my desire to protect the environment. Silent Spring is certainly worth reading because it makes it clear that killing insects and weeds with pesticides has consequences. Before I read this book, I had no idea that we were contaminating our world without monitoring the dangerous side effects of pesticides.
Reading Silent Spring whets my interest for more Rachel Carson. Now I am looking for more of her books to learn more about humans interaction with nature. This book alerted me that pesticides are only a band-aid solution and can cause dangerous repercussions. Protection of the environment has always been near and dear to my heart. One day I hope to make as big a difference as Rachel Carson and so will you after you read Silent Spring.

message 2: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 6 comments Angela, I love your review!!
I think you might have just convinced me to pick this one up and give it a try. I love the earth too!

message 3: by Judy (new)

Judy (mrsschram) | 2 comments Angela--I can't remember if I told you or not but we have a few books about Rachel Carson that you might find of interest.
Mrs. Schram

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy Guzynski (Guzynski) | 15 comments Mod
Great review.