C. S. Lewis discussion

Shadowlands

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:55PM) (new)

Meghan Not a book, but a movie about C.S. Lewis. Just wondering if anyone else has seen it, and if so, what your thoughts are on it.

Here's what imdb.com says about it:

CS Lewis is the author of the Narnia books - The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. Known as Jack, he teaches at an Oxford College, during the 1930's. An American fan, Joy Gresham, arrives to meet him for tea in Oxford. It is the beginning of a love affair. Tragically Joy becomes terminally unwell and their lives become complicated.

message 2: by Llama (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:56PM) (new)

Llama Castillo | 2 comments I really loved it. I had been wanting to watch it for a while and then especially after I finished A Grief Observed. It was touching and sweet, giving you a taste of the life Jack lived (watch the movie) and of how love touched and changed him. Some may find it boring as it is slow moving but it mirrors his way of living so well. I loved the dialogue in it and it makes you feel as if you had met him yourself and lived through that time with him, at least, that is how I felt. I think I could curl up with a cup of tea and watch it again anytime.

message 3: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:09PM) (new)

Meghan I think my favorite part is when Anthony Hopkins says that the joy we feel today helps us to deal with the sorrow we will face tomorrow.

message 4: by Dottie (last edited Jul 03, 2009 10:17AM) (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) Perfect summation of the film. I think anyone who has truly read a great deal of Lewis could appreciate the pace and content of Shadowlands. I thought Winger and Hopkins were very good.

message 5: by Mary Ann (new)

Mary Ann (maryanstro) | 15 comments I loved this movie! There is another version (BBC?) that is excellent also. The chemistry b/w Hopkins and Winger works well and makes it believable. My only dissappointment is the ending which makes it seem as if Lewis lost his faith in his grief. I am positive he questioned his faith, as we all do when grieving such profound loss, yet, I think he did not find his faith lacking but confirmed in his grief.

message 6: by Dottie (last edited Jul 06, 2009 08:44PM) (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) Mary Ann -- I don't recall feeling the film indicated he lost his faith in his grief but will have to watch it again to assess that. The book he wrote about his marriage and the loss of Joy to her illness is certainly a strong one and quite obviously comes down to faith remains even through deep sorrow so I would wonder if that didn't come through in the film.