Islam discussion

Are there books that are taboo in Islam?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karey (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:55PM) (new)

Karey (kareyshane) Hello,
I'm new to this group and I am grateful to be a part of it. I am ashamed to say I know very little about Islam. I know that Muhammed is your prophet, and that you pray to Allah who is everything to you. I saw a man reading the Quran once. What books can you read? What books are banned in Muslim countries? Forgive my ignorance!
Warm regards,
Karey

message 2: by Deena (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:55PM) (new)

Deena | 16 comments Hi Karey,

It's nice of you to have interest in Islam. For a start, you could read the Quran and find many aspecs and info of Islam in it. It's the best choice of all books.

And if your interested, you can read the biography of the prophet Muhammad SAW. Try http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/14...

As for banned books.. I never really trying to find it. It's so much books worth of reading.. why find the banned one? ^^

I hope you can find what you seek for :)

Regards,
Deena

message 3: by Karey (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:56PM) (new)

Karey (kareyshane) Thank you Deena,
Your information is very helpful. What I am seeking to know is whether The Mysteriel (my novel that comes out is 2008) would be embraced by, or rejected by the Muslim community.

My hope is that it will be meaningful to the people of Islam, just as it may be for people of other faiths.

I don't want to have anything in the book that would keep a person who holds to the dear faith of Islam from reading it. People have compared it to the writings of C.S. Lewis.

Kindest regards for your attention,

Karey

message 4: by Ayu (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:56PM) (new)

Ayu Zuraidah (azhalea) | 1 comments Hi Karey,

(just curious, if you don't mind)
May i know what kind of novel you wrote? Could you share us the overview?

Thanks,
Ayu

message 5: by Karey (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:57PM) (new)

Karey (kareyshane) Yes, Ayu. Thank you for asking. I wrote a story of pure love and redemption. Here is an overview:

Although it is strictly forbidden for wee hoomin to be seen beyond the borders of their homes and fields, Tharin Zothiker and her brother Hale set out on a quest with their dog, Sauveren, to find a particular something that nasty Harrold King lost on the edge of the road near their cottage.

The first book in The Mysteriel series entitled Drinkwater Bound is the remarkable tale of how Tharin and Hale, in the company of their dog, discover that they are part of something much larger than themselves. Unwittingly, they become wrapped up in living out the words of a legend that goes like this:

From underneath the mighty foot
Ones stepped upon shall rise
To restore the seal and lance the bull
Amidst his anguished cries.

The seeds of law lie fallow now
Yet root and stem shall form.
The planter then shall gather all
At the sounding of the horn.

Tharin, Hale and Sauveren are thrown into the caves of Osden Shorn –- a place full of red, rattling lizards – where hundreds of wee hoomin called Matternots, who are just like them, are ordered about by the loathsome Pewgen Flype. Tharin is treated as though she doesn’t matter at all, but soon, Tharin realizes that a key that she received for her 13th birthday might help them get what they want most of all…and in the end she realizes that she matters very, very much. Someone loves her enough to die for her.

(If this was interesting to you, and an appropriate subject for someone of your faith, then please be my guest and sign up to find out how you can get your own free copy of the book when it comes out. You can do that by going to TheMysteriel.com.) More information is on the goodreads group, The Mysteriel Pre-Pub Club. (Pre-Pub stands for Pre-publication)

May you be blessed.

message 6: by Morteza (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:57PM) (new)

Morteza | 24 comments Hello Karey
Carry knowing about Islum would cause you, becoming an Muslim, because no escape! when you feel the reality and understand by your wisdom, this is your conscience will be troubling for you, because leaving habits is very difficult, you have to cover your self later on, do not drink alcoholics, and so on (old habits die hard :D) everything in Qur'an is organized and everything is true according to everything! ( wisdom, Philosophy, Electronic, Logic, computer,....). this would be ridiculous for you, but its not, if you go through the details of Qur'an, you will understand what I'm talking about. I'm not Muslim, But I wont be a Christian, Juish,.... . Islum is the last one, and I'm not such an idiot to get back to history, After all Qur'an is the last Holly book, which is sent by God.
In a nut shell
Be careful, if you do not want to leave your old habits or your ex-life style and you think they are all correct do not try to understand this book, this one is diffrent! 95 pecent of our deeds, are all irrational and emotional, this book will show you the best way in your life, you will never get misused, you will never hurt your body, you will have a healthy life, you will live on a balance. of course do not look at all Muslims, these days most of Muslim People are superstitious and they try to live and love and understand Qur'an by their emotional feelings, but when they face the reality that is in opposite of their feelings and their understanding, they say that, I do not like this part of Qur'an! maybe this part is been mutilated by human and thats not true and I'll do whatever I like. and I want to apologize, that the way of my speaking is not that much understandable, thats because I'm not good at english. and I want to know your ideas, I look forward. wish you a good healthy life. God bless you

message 7: by mona (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:58PM) (new)

mona  | 14 comments hello to everyone ..
with regard to morteza..
i think sometimes it has the worth to leave your habits..
i`m sure you,Karey agree with me with this saying ..all of us have an aim in our life..even those who have no religion..we are walking in away to be more perfect we are all attemping to get more achievement..and we wanna change to better otherwise we didn`t work we didn`t try.... do you know aperson who has said now it`s eanough i don`t want or need anything.....so all shows this fact we wanna get closer to what our creator want to be,i mean the perfect one(i`m sure no one can deny the exist of creator...).. he didn`t creat us to be avverage.he made us to excell.he created us to be victor ...not victim...so it`s unlogical that we think that God leaved us alone in this world...he showed us the way..at first he wanted us to think and choose...prophet mohammad was the last prophet who all other prophetes had told about him ...so i think no matter up to now which religion we have ,from now let`s promise to search about islam and other religion...then decide...it`s never late i`m sure if we accept and love something any difficulities will be pleasant for us..and even a day waliking in the correct way can make us closer to the holy goal..and for sure we can enjoy the rest of our life....
please think...and let me know your idea...

message 8: by mona (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:58PM) (new)

mona  | 14 comments Do you need a fresh start today?
we all make mistakes and wrong choices. But the good news is that we don’t have to stay separated from God in our sin. God wants us to come to Him so He can forgive and cleanse us and give us a fresh start. No matter what happened yesterday, or even five minutes ago, God is waiting for you with open arms. God is not mad at you. He loves you and longs to restore everything in your life. Confess your sins to God and allow Him to cleanse you today. Choose to forgive others so that you can receive God’s forgiveness. Ask the Holy Spirit to keep you close so that you can live a life pleasing to Him. As you draw close to God, He will draw close to you and show His great love and blessing all the days of your life!

message 9: by Aimme (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:00PM) (new)

Aimme | 12 comments Hi Karey....

From my first sight of your writing overview, i couldn't find any issue that become reason for negative respond (in Muslim countries).

I live in country where Muslim is majority, and you may also know that we have a heterogeneous life. We live side by side with other belief and respect each other.

If i am not wrong in making assumption, your book's genre is fiction. You may also knew that such kind of book is also welcomed in muslim country. There are numerous books which have been translated and published, such as Eragon, Harry Potter, and many else from europe, japan, etc.

I believe if your work came from good intention, there is no such worry for being rejected. Virtue and morality are universal.

Anyway, you also can share if you have any particular part from your writing which is still dubious according to you.

message 10: by Deena (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:00PM) (new)

Deena | 16 comments For the book, Karey..

I think your free to write what you want. Just as long as you respect our religion and not making fun of our Prophet SAW (and of course any element in Islam).

And another tip.. You should differentiate 'the religion Islam' and 'the people of Islam'(known as muslims). I know that there ARE some bad muslims among us but you need to see things in a broader view.. The problem is not the religion.. it's in the people :)

I hope it helps.. and have fun writing you book

message 11: by Karey (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:00PM) (new)

Karey (kareyshane) Thank you for your comments, Aimme. I wrote The Mysteriel with pure intention, and your comments help me realize that those in Muslim countries will be open to reading it. It is a story of pure and redemptive love, so I believe people will find it uplifting, even though there is much heartache and pain at some points of the novel.
Be well and may you be blessed this day and always.

message 12: by Karey (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:00PM) (new)

Karey (kareyshane) Thank you, too, for your comments Deena. There is nothing in The Mysteriel that speaks of religion, and certainly nothing that disrespects your prophet. If those topics are what would constitute making a book offensive, if not taboo, in Islam, then you can rest assured that The Mysteriel series would be alright. Of course, it isn't even translated into --why, I don't even know what the overarching language is in Islam. Is it Arabic? Farsi? -- any way, the book isn't even translated yet ;o) One day it will be, though! May you be at peace today.