Vampire Lovers discussion

Your favorite vampire books?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 95 (95 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Crystal (new)

Crystal | 13 comments I know that there are different books out there about vampires. What are some of your favorites?

message 2: by Crystal (last edited Sep 03, 2008 05:55AM) (new)

Crystal | 13 comments I loved the following:

The World On Blood by: Jonathan Nasaw
Twilight series by: Stephanie Meyer
Blue Boods by: Melissa de la Cruz

These 3 books have different styles of vampires. I think that is why I like them. Reading different ideas about vampires and how they live really opens up your idea to the immortal creatures.

The World on Blood - Is about a rare group of humans that get "high" on blood drinking. They all start out in VA (Vampires Anonymous) because it's like a dryg to them.

Twilight - Is about a "vegan" vampires that only kill animals for food. The "traditional" hazards don't apply to them. eg: hunt at night, sleep in the day, garlic is bad, and crucixes are harmful.

Blue Bloods - This one is very different then the "traditional" formula. They don't become blood thirsty till they mature, there are only 400 total. They don't have to drain anybody either. This concept of this book is new to me.

message 3: by Michelle (last edited Sep 04, 2008 11:47AM) (new)

Michelle Ferrel (mishabean) Well, I won't be surprised when everybody shouts out, "TWILIGHT SERIES!" The first book, in my opinion, was the only good one in the whole series. All the others I donated to my local library. Why did I continue to read them you ask? I was hoping the author would redeem herself...it just never happened.

Aside from that, there are many other vampire books that are great and even, dare I say it?, better than Twilight. *le gasp*

Here are some of my favorites.

Nina Bangs - The Mackenzie Vampires Series
Nina Bangs - The Castle of Dark Dreams Trilogy
Robin T. Popp - Night Slayer Series
Lynsay Sands - Argeneau Series
Kerrelyn Sparks - Love at Stake Series
Alexandra Ivy - Guardians of Eternity Series
Rosemary Laurey - Vampire Series
Katie MacAlister - Dark Ones Series
Jacquelyn Frank - The Nightwalkers Series
Sandy Lynn - Bloodmates Series
J.R. Ward - Black Dagger Brotherhood Series
Susan Sizemore - Primes Series
Erin McCarthy - Vegas Vampires Series

message 4: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 8 comments Well, for me the Twilight series is the best so far. But so close in second place is the House of Night novels by P.C. and Kristin Cast. They are Marked, Betrayed, and Chosen with Untamed coming out on sept. 23rd. I loved them almost as much as Twilight. As for other good Vamp books:
Silver Kiss-Annette Curtis Klause
Vampire Kisses series (5 so far)- Ellen Schreiber
Blue Bloods series-Melissa De La Cruz
Evernight-Claudia Gray
Those are all good! I am getting ready to read:
J.R. Ward-Black Dagger Brotherhood series
Richelle Mead-Vampire Academy series
Anne Rice-Vampire Chronicles
Lynsay Sands - Argeneau Series
I hope that helps with ideas for some more Vamp reading!

♥BELLA♥ vidaurri (kougar789) | 14 comments i am not gonna right that long so call could just forget it count me out

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

My first was twilight...but then I was introduced to JR Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood series (my absolute fav!!!). I have also read all of the Dark-Hunter books and now I am starting Christine Feehan's Carpathian series. Read the first one and I like it.

message 7: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (dmfriend26) | 46 comments My favs are:
1) The Vampire Chronicles
2) I am Legend
3) Necroscope
4) Twilight
5) 30 days of night- to read

message 8: by Crystal (new)

Crystal | 13 comments Teresa - How was Evernight? I have seen it in the bookstore but wasn't sure. I also just finished Blue Bloods and liked it.

message 9: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 8 comments Evernight was great! There is a HUGE twist in it that I almost fell over in my chair after I read it. It was such a page turner and I loved the whole idea of the plot and the writing was wonderful! Blue Bloods was good too but I think the second one Masq. was better. More action and it was exciting! But if you like those you really should read the House of Night novels!

message 10: by Crystal (new)

Crystal | 13 comments Teresa - I plan to read the house of night series soon. Heard good things about it.

Thanks for the telling me about masq. cause I was a little worried I wouldn't like it. I enjoyed the first book, but didn't know if I liked where I thought it was heading....

message 11: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (aesquibel25) Twilight Series- Stephanie Meyer
House of Night Series- P.C. Cast
Vampire Diaries- L.J. Smith
Kathryn Smith's vampire series
Salem's Lot- Stephen King
Anne Rice- Vampire Chronicles

I'll think of more lol :)

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

The Last of the Red Hot Vampires

and

Lady and the Vamp (Love Bites)

awesom books!

message 13: by Angela (new)

Angela (angbens) I really like Anne Rice's vampire books.

♥BELLA♥ vidaurri (kougar789) | 14 comments still not writting long like tall

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I enjoyed Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice,Thirsty,and Twilight by Stephanie Meyer and I've also read Dracula by Bram Stoker but it isn't one of my favorites.

message 16: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) i only read the twilight series. which other ones would a 12-year-old girl enjoy?

message 17: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (aesquibel25) Vampire Diaries- L.J. Smith

message 18: by alicia (new)

alicia grant (shesha34) Interview with a Vampire
Morganville Vampire series by Rachel Caine
Salem's Lot by Stephen King
have only read one so far in the Vampire Kisses series but I liked it.
Cirque Du Freak was good have to read the others.
Just got the House of night series.Can't wait to start those.

message 19: by embrock (new)

embrock Dracula
Salem's Lot
Interview with a Vampire
The Vampire Lestat--took me 2 tries to get through it.

I've checked out L. A. Banks books. Any comment on them.

message 20: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) k, tnx pplz.

message 21: by Cary (last edited Nov 25, 2008 08:48AM) (new)

Cary (vortigern) | 804 comments Old school Gothic Vamp all the way. Carmilla is the crown jewel of Vampire stories,word up. For a long short story it has such depth. Dracula is the vampire masterpiece and has most all of what later becomes accepted vampire lore. Mystery of the Campagna, The Mysterious Stranger, For the Blood is the Life. The Tomb of Sarah, Mrs Amworth are all good. I am not into the nice guy vampire stories it just ruins the whole vampire mythos to me. Wy people become vampires. They have commited a sin against the Catholic church. Or were evil people in life. They have occult powers of dematerialization and shape shifting. I like vampires like Carmilla best who are capable of forming relations with humans. But ultimately their attachments are self centered and evil. Some of the modern vampire stories are OK. I wish a could dredge up some old Gothic vampire stories I have not yet read however. Or a modern writer who could write in that style. Cary

message 22: by Ann (new)

Ann I am new here and the only vamp bookd I have read is Twilight and I bought Blue bloods is it any good???

message 23: by ♥ Rachel♥ (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:37AM) (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) idk, but have u read new moon and eclipse and breaking dawn?

message 24: by embrock (new)

embrock I don't like the nice guy sexy vampire stories. I like the old fashioned vampires are SCARY and not up to any good stories. The L. A. Banks books didn't do it for me. Neither did Sunshine. I did like The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova.

message 25: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 8 comments Blue Bloods is good. I liked the 2nd one in the series more than the first. I would describe it as Twilight meets Gossip Girls.

message 26: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) sounds...scary. lolz!

message 27: by Ann (new)

Ann yes to rachel and wow to teresa whats the seconde one called

message 28: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 8 comments The Blue Bloods books 2nd in the series is called Masquerade. I really liked it! And I have finished the first 3 books of the Black Dagger Brotherhood books by J.R. Ward...I just have to say I think they are the best books and series I have EVER read! But they are adult romance books and not everyone is that into those. But if you love vampires and romance books (18+) then you will really love them!!

message 29: by Ann (new)

Ann thanks alot I will have to buy them teresa did you read you suck

message 30: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 8 comments You Suck by Christopher Moore? Nope I haven't, is it good?

message 31: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (bibliosaurustext) One book I didn't see mentioned is Vampire Loves by Joann Sfar. It's a graphic novel that was originally written in French, but there's an English translation. It's totally quirky and awesome. The vampire, Ferdinand, only bites people with one fang so they'll think it's a mosquito bite, and he flies around with his cat in a satchel.

message 32: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) WAT??!! XD that sounds awesome!

message 33: by Jadeness (new)

Jadeness | 1 comments For me, besides the Twilight series I liked The Vampire Diaries, those where nice to read.

message 34: by Dais (new)

Dais | 9 comments my favorite are :

Twilight saga(of course)
Blue Bloods series
Vampire Kisses series
the silver kiss
those sookie stackhouse books
the ones by amelia atwater-rhodes
sunshine (was good, but i dont know who wrote it)
Thirsy ( was also ok)
and thats all i can think of lol

message 35: by Randi (new)

Randi | 3 comments I like the Night World books by L.J Smith although theres actually three stories in one and some of them are about witches but all the characters tie together :D&hearts

message 36: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) twilight series (d'oy)
the silver kiss
blue bloods
vampire academy

i'm ashamed 2 say those were the only vamp books i read. and i'm not done with the last 2 series. i read the first 2 of blue bloods and started the first of vamp. academy.

message 37: by Fangirl Musings (new)

Fangirl Musings (fangirlmusings) I would have to say my all time favorite Vamp series isn't technically a Vamp series at all. Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark-Hunter novels incorporate a lot of ideas from vampires, but she gives it an entirly new spin through utilizing Greek and Roman mythology along with some pretty awesome characterizational qualities. Sherrilyn Kenyon

message 38: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn (LynBunny) | 1 comments I have to say Twilight. You can all look down at me snobby-like, but it just is on totally different level from all the other vampire books I have read.
I read Twilight two years ago because I was obsessed with vampires and I read the back of the book cover that said Edward was one, and then I fell in love with Edward.
So before I read Twilight I had read hundreds of vampire books, so its not because I am uneducated in the vampiric genre its just Twilight is the best :)
~~~~
The only minus for me is the fact that the author is MORMON! I live in Kirtland, NM. It is mormonvill. There's more mormons then there are catholics in this po-dunk little town, and we all know which is the biggest world wide.
I strongly believe her mormon get-married-and-pregnant-right-out-of-high-school srongly influnced her 4th book and it made it totally almost sci-fi!!!

message 39: by Blackwinterrose (new)

Blackwinterrose (ayame) | 6 comments I love Twilight. Stephanie Meyer brings a new twist on possible Vampire-mortal love story. It also proves that not all the legends are really legends.

message 40: by Tori (new)

Tori (torilynn645) My absolute favorite vampire books (so far) are the Morganville Vampires series. I LOVE these books. They're different from most vampire books and I like how its written a lot.
~Tori

message 41: by Cary (new)

Cary (vortigern) | 804 comments Dracula makes Twilight series look like a bunch of books for Myly Syrus fans. I am sorry to be so rude. I am really not a rude person. But vampires have a basic evil nature and dark occult powers by my rules, and by Slavic tradition. Dracula will be in publication when Twilight is dust. All that "The look in Edwards eyes changed to an intense ocre color. That belongs on the romance shelfnot the vampire shelf. Did anyone ever think about what Edward does when he goes to the bath room. His stomach gloated with blood like a big leach cold and clamy. How romantic. In Carmilla she sleeps in a leaden casket with 15" depth of blood soaking it it. However when she awakens and dematerializes outside her tomb she is clean and fresh and warm. She has Occult powers. I wonder what Edward does?

message 42: by Janaye (new)

Janaye Personally I completely HATED Evernight. It was absolute BS. I wouldn't recommend it anyone unless you want a book that will frustrate you on how bad it gets.

The Twilight Series are ok but definitely not the best.
House of Night is pretty good until about the 3rd one then it just goes down hill.

Vampire Diaries is really good but its frustrating because supposedly there will be another book in the series (which is really needed as the books just cut off and dont really have any good endings) but I have no idea when or if it will even come out.

Blue Bloods is a really interesting take on Vampires too.

message 43: by Cary (new)

Cary (vortigern) | 804 comments Man, single story and short story vampire books are the best. Reason being that they don't wear out the characters with the same old spatter,gore, and sex that series do. Plus you have much more depth and thought put into a single book. People want ultaviolent vampires with a scientific explanation as how people become vampires. What they really want are dark super heros. Not occult vampires with dark powers. I am Legend is a great example. It's a good book to. Not a seies just one great book instead of a string of mediocre books. Also vampires capable of love. This is a theme that Carmilla has to deal with. Falling in love with victims. Someone read Carmilla and tell me what you think? Its a short book but you have to really pay attention to what your reading. Little details slip by like the old black gypsy lady learing from the inside of the overturned carriage knowing that another family is being decieved by the coven she serves.

message 44: by Fangirl Musings (new)

Fangirl Musings (fangirlmusings) I agree with you on your earlier post, Cary, about your comment on the Twilight series. Not to be rude to the fans of Meyer's series, but I read about 60 or so pages into Twilight and could not find the appeal. It may be that after reading darker Vampire novels, such as Kenyon's Dark-Hunter seires, that I found Twilight to be just too...cushy. No offense fans- truly wish I could get hooked by it, but sadly, that'd be a no.

message 45: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina (lirriea) | 8 comments Twilight Series
Vampire Kisses
Vampire Diaries
Campanions of the Night

message 46: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (dmfriend26) | 46 comments Salem's Lot by Stephen King is like a modern day Dracula. A must read for any fan of Vampires. :D

message 47: by Cassidy (new)

Cassidy Savage (savagegy6) I Am Legend
Twilight
Sookie Stackhouse Series

I have sooo many more to read though...it's strange how addicting these types of books are, right?

message 48: by Angie (new)

Angie (angiebowen) Some of my favorite series are:

Sookie Stackhouse
Twilight
House of Night - The story is awesome, the writing is pretty bad though
The Morganville Vampires

message 49: by Bella (new)

Bella (RumanaRu) | 7 comments This one my really fave books
Bite me! by Melissa Francis is certainly page turner, i read it way too much.

message 50: by Farah (new)

Farah Ali (vampire_lover55) | 17 comments Vampire Academy!!!

« previous 1