Modern Mommies discussion

About Books > Discussion on The Time Traveller's Wife Possible Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Here you go ladies.It might be a good idea to post spoiler in large letters on those posts that contain them.

message 2: by Mona (new)

Mona | 72 comments Thanks Sherry! :)

What did you all think of the book? Henry and Claire's relationship? The whole idea of time travel and how cool it would be!!! Or how destructive?

I liked the book a lot. I thought their relationship was quite interesting and at times it was hard to follow. But, I do remember thinking how patient Claire had to be to wait for Henry so often!

message 3: by Shea (new)

Shea | 346 comments Mona,
I also had trouble following the timeline occasionally. For much of the book I felt sorry for Clare because she was always waiting. I was sometimes a little uncomfortable with the idea that Henry, as a grown man, knew that Clare would be his wife even when she was just a child. Even though nothing inappropriate happened it weirded me out just a tad.

As an aside: It reminded me a little of the 3 part Quantum Leap episode where in the first episode Sam is Abigail's father but in the second he is her fiancee. Just a little Oedipal.

message 4: by Mona (new)

Mona | 72 comments I know exactly what you mean Shea. I used to love Quantum Leap! What a great connection. I am excited to see what they do with the movie. It's supposed to come out in December of this year. Wonder if they will stick close to the story at all...

What was your fave part of the book?

message 5: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 35 comments I also felt sorry for Clare but more so when her daughter started to time travel as well.

I think my fave part of the book was when Henry and Clare met at the library and he didn't know who she was but she knew him.

message 6: by Mona (new)

Mona | 72 comments WOW! That was also my favorite part too Suzanne! :)
I found it interesting that Clare knew him, but he didn't know her. It's like knowing such an important secret. I also liked when she was at the Violet Femmes concert and was with the Henry of that time and then went to use the restroom and saw the Henry of the future. Makes you think about your significant other and what they have been like over the years and what they will be like in the future!

I also felt very bad for Clare when her daughter started time traveling... seemed like she was shut out of that whole experience and her husband and daughter shared something very special.

It was a good story!

message 7: by Shea (new)

Shea | 346 comments As with most books that take place sometime other than the present I always enjoy the descriptions of "historical" type events, clothes, etc. It makes the story that much richer. I also liked the challenge of keeping the time line straight even though I had trouble at times. Also, I like that it always kept me wondering what would happen next. I guess my favorite part of the book was when Clare was finally able to be with the Henry of her time.

As another aside, if you want a book that jumps around in time and keeps you guessing try "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova. I really enjoyed it.

message 8: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 35 comments I agree Shea. I also liked the fact that the timeline jumps around because sometimes I can't wait to find out how the story ends and I end up reading the last few pages. It really spoils the story but if I am really enjoying the book sometimes I can't seem to help myself. With TTTW I knew I couldn't read the end until the end because it wouldn't make any sense. I'm worse than a kid waiting for Christmas sometimes!LOL!

message 9: by Sera (new)

Sera I adored this book, and I'm interested to see how the movie will capture the time travel aspects. Clare sacrificed so much for love. I often felt bad for her, too, but she was so strong and certain of things, that I couldn't help but admire her.

message 10: by Mona (new)

Mona | 72 comments I know... I am very curious what they are going to do with the movie. You are very right... Claire sacrificed a lot for love. I found myself admiring her determination in finding Henry, her loyalty to him and her patience while waiting for him. I hope that all comes through as they make the movie. We should all go see it and then comment about it on here!!!

message 11: by Sera (new)

Sera Great idea, Mona!

message 12: by Molly (new)

Molly | 33 comments Wish i could go see it with one of u guys....

message 13: by Mona (last edited Sep 19, 2008 11:30AM) (new)

Mona | 72 comments Thanks Sera! :)

I know! I wish I could see it with you guys too! :)

message 14: by Pamela (new)

Pamela I SO LOVED THIS BOOK!!! What a love story. I found myself thinking how neat it would be to know WHO you are supposed to marry in the future~~~when you are a child. I caught myself thinking of all the crushes I had on boys in my class as a little girl and of the "stupid" boyfriends I had in high school. And then NOW looking at my husband......never in my wildest dreams would I have ever believed I would marry a guy like him. I would have loved to know him before I REALLY met him for the first time. WOW!!! I was very moved by the fact that Claire had such trouble staying pregnant. It made the uniqueness of Alba much more endearing.

This was one of my favorite books of all time. One of the best love stories!

message 15: by Mona (last edited Sep 26, 2008 12:18PM) (new)

Mona | 72 comments It was quite a love story Pamela. You are right!!! :) I loved how you found out about Henry through Claire's eyes throughout her many different ages too.

I am very curious to see this movie when it comes out... I just have this image of how I want the story to be and I want to see if the movie sticks to the book's story!!!

message 16: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Does anyone know WHO will be playing Henry and Claire in the movie? I just have this image in my mind about what they look like from the book and I can't decide who I would like to play them. I hope they are actors that might not be so well-known. Henry and Claire had friends and lived in a community that treated them like people in any neighborhood. They were regular people with not-so-regular lives but still it was important to them to be as normal as possible. I hope this shows through with the choice of actors. Hmmmm....anyone have an idea or thought who they would like to see play Henry and Claire?

message 17: by Mona (new)

Mona | 72 comments Yes, I think Henry is being played by Eric Bana and Claire is being played by Rachel McAdams who I LOVED in The Notebook. I am still trying to figure out who Eric Bana is though... :)

I am happy with Rachel McAdams. I think she's a good actress. Plus she looks like what I imagined Claire to be.

message 18: by Shea (new)

Shea | 346 comments I am pretty sure Eric Bana played Henry VIII in "The Other Boleyn Girl." I didn't it but I think he was supposed to be good in it.

message 19: by Pamela (new)

Pamela OMG....I just googled Eric Bana and with Rachel McAdams......WOW!!! This is going to be great! I can't wait. LOVE the idea of Rachel McAdams. She is so beautiful and I was totally enthralled by her performance in "The Notebook." SOOOOOOOO excited! Thanks for the shout out Mona!

message 20: by Mona (new)

Mona | 72 comments You are very welcome! :) Now I can picture Eric Bana! Thanks Shea! :) I am looking forward to this movie. I am going to try and see if I can get some of my friends to go see it with me. I think it comes out around Christmas? Not sure!

message 21: by Molly (new)

Molly | 33 comments Wow... A little younger than i had imagined.. But im not complaining. He's Cute!I wonder if they'll do the scene where there are 2 of him old and young.........

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) This book was a little confusing at first, but soon I fell into the swing of things. I liked the characters of Henry and Claire, and can only imagine how hard it must have been for Claire to love Henry so much. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I hope to soon.