Chick Lit Book Club discussion

Second Chance
This topic is about Second Chance
2007-2008 Book Archive > 10/2007: Second Chance: Chapters 16-20

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:55PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ashley Join in when you are ready!

message 2: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:55PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ashley (A) What are your opinions on Olivia's pregnancy? How do you think it will affect her and her lifestyle? Do you think she will accept it?

message 3: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:55PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ashley (B) Holly and Will continue to flirt and get together on a regular basis... What are your opinions this? Is what they have just a friendship or more? Do you think she is replacing Tom with Will?

message 4: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:55PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ashley (C) Maggie voices her concern to Holly about her relationship with Will, do you think Holly will take her advice? Do you think Maggie should have given that advice?

message 5: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:55PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ashley (D) Now that the public knows about P and Saffron, what do you think will happen with their relationship?

message 6: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:55PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ashley (E) Holly decided to voice her concerns to Marcus over dinner. He became very defensive, What do you think of that conversation and Holly's current opinion of their relationship.

message 7: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:55PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ashley (F) Saffron's thoughts that she can have a drink end with her drunk. What are your opinions about her past and her current state?

message 8: by Sally (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:01PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sally Ellingson (A) I think that it could be a good thing for her. She is still hurt from her last boyfriend leaving her and she has always felt like she wasnt as good as her friends. I think that the experience of raising a child and the love you experience will help her grow as a person and find happiness that she did not know before. Having a child will obviously change her life, she did not plan on having children (as she claims). However, I think that this claim partially came from her fear of personal relationships, but her love of animals shows how good hearted and loving she is. I think that if she decides to not have the baby, she would not be able to handle it.

(B) Hmmm...I had the feeling that she was kinda replacing Tom with Will a little bit. She could even revert a little back to her old relationship with Tom because Will was not married as well, so their was the same flirtiness from her and tom's early relationship.

(C) I think that Maggie's advice will atleast help Holly think about it more clearly, but that doesnt mean that it will change her feelings. I think that it was brave for maggie to say something. It seems like it was a really hard subject to bring up and she did it out of her love for Holly.

(D) Hopefully it will bring them together. But I think they will have a bumpy road ahead of them. I would never want to be famous and have people watching my life like that.

(E) I think that obviously there is something very wrong with their relationship and Holly is right. The fact that Marcus does not want to talk it over with her shows how little he cares about her feelings. I hope that she never backs down and learns to stand up against him.

(F) She has fallen off of the wagon and is going to need some help. And lots of it.

message 9: by Julie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:02PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Julie (jooliaaah) (a) i was happy that olivia got pregnant. she reminded me a bit of miranda in sex in the city when she got pregnant. initially, miranda resisted the pregnancy, even contemplating abortion but then ended up embracing the pregnancy and being a really good mom. i can see olivia doing the same thing. she seems like a nurturer.

(b) like i said in the past, i enjoy reading about the relationship between holly and will (and yes! in my opinion it is a relationship - definitely more than friends) but i think it's wrong. i don't think she's replacing tom with will because the author leads us to believe tom and will were very different from one another. i think it's more her trying to connect with a male because she has no intimacy in her own marriage.

(c) should maggie have given the advice? i put myself into maggie's shoes since i have a 15 year old son who will most likely be dating seriously in the next 5-8 years. if my son was a will...someone who was irresponsible and undependable but genuinely a good guy i would think it would be hard for me to say what maggie said to a girl he was interested in. especially if that girl was a holly...someone who might be good for him, that would possibly ground him and make him more mature. but i do think maggie did the right thing. maggie cares for holly and that was shown clearly through her decision to talk to holly.

(d) i thought it would make p immediately leave his wife and go public with saffron.

(e) the conversation at dinner between marcus and holly made me loathe marcus more than i've loathed any other character in all my years of reading. he is abusive. he makes holly feel small and views her requests and feelings as inferior. his whole clueless act he put on about the state of their marriage was bullsh!t. he's a crazy-maker and holly needs to get out. don't even get me started on men like marcus. bleck!

(f) typical alcoholic's behavior. i've been down this road with someone i loved very much. unfortunately most alcoholics have to hit rock bottom before they get better. she needs to help herself.

message 10: by Jessica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:06PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jessica (jessmorgan03) (a) I am a little concerned about her being pregnant and alone. I hope that it will all work out. I think she will absolutely accept AND be happy about it.

(b) In a way she is replacing Tom, meaning that she is replacing a close relationship with a man. One that she had with Tom but never with Marcus.

(c) I think it was incredibly hard for Maggie to say those things about her son, but in her mind she feels like she's doing the right thing. I actually dated a guy in HS whose dad was like that...he told me that his son didn't deserve me. haha (he was right!) So I think it's hard but I think it came from a genuinely concerned place. I don't think Holly will heed the advice though...sometimes you have to learn things on your own.

(d) I fear their relationship will end. He will stay with his wife under the guise that it would be bad timing to leave her and Saffron will need to make the decision to move on for her heart and sobriety.

(e) Grrrr! I can't stand Marcus. Someone needs to give him a good ass kicking and set him straight. He is condescending and hateful.

(f) I too have been through this with someone I love...I was so sad when she ended up drinking at the airport! I started talking to my book...haha I was like NO DON'T DO IT! Hopefully this will be the only relapse and she will start her sobriety over and realize she can't live like that. Even if it means leaving P.