Chicks On Lit discussion

Archive 08-19 GR Discussions > Q's and discussions for Author Chat with Ann Hood 9/10@11am! (Post here by 9/9 if you cannot attend!) *UPDATED*

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (last edited Sep 04, 2008 05:07AM) (new)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) (Tera, I'd like to keep this in the General thread section through this week to make sure everyone sees this! Thanks!)

As you all know by now, Ann Hood (Author of The Knitting Circle) is going to join us here for an Author Chat Wed 9/10@11am (eastern standard time)!

For those of you who are unable to attend but would like to ask her something or discuss something with her, please post here BY TUES 9/9!

~*If you are attending, please let me know by 9/8 in the "Mark Your Calendars Chicks" thread below under "Past Book Club" discussions! This way I can let Ann know if anyone will actually be online for the chat or if all she'll have to do is answer the questions here. Thanks, Jo.*~

***This thread is not for comments re the upcoming chat! Pls see the "Mark your calendars Chicks" thread under the "Past Book Club Selections" header below and post your comments there! Pls only post Q's and discussions for Ann for 9/10 here! Thanks so much! ~Jo***

message 2: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindylouyoung) | 105 comments Hi Jo..

I am not sure that I will be able to participate, but here is a question that I would ask.

Q) Usually in fiction there is a bit of "real life" from the author's perspective woven into each story. What part in the story "The Knitting Circle" is significant in your life? Would you share it with us?

message 3: by Holli (new)

Holli Great question Cindy and what I wanted to know also!!

message 4: by Tera, First Chick (last edited Sep 03, 2008 06:37AM) (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
I'm not sure I'll be there (I hope to be).

1) Do you knitt and if so what was the last thing you knitted?

2) What do you think helped more with each of their heartbreaks - time? or sharing with each other?

3) I appreciate the rawness with which you tackled the marriage through this horrible time. There was a lot of discussion here as to if she was being selfish for lack of a better word with her grief and not recognizing or attempting to understand his. Was that intentional on your part? Do you think there is a level of selfishness associated with grief?

4) She was so torn about not wanting people to talk to her about Stella and yet not avoiding her or treating her differently. It is so hard to know the right thing to say at those times or wonder if it's better to give them time and space. What would you say is the best approach when faced with a friend or loved one going through their hard times? Was there anything anyone could have said to her that would have been comforting or did it have to be when she was ready to hear it?

Thanks
Tera

message 5: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments I am not sure I will be able to make it either due to work load.
1. Your story was so heart wrenching and rang true to so many of us. I looked at this book as a journey to share with other women. Did you write this book as your journey?
2. Did it help you through your hard times?
3. Was your relationship similar to that of the relationship of mother/daughter in your book? If so, did it change your relationship with others?

Jo, I wonder if it might be helpful to share our threads with Ann Hood prior to her meeting if she would be willing. There is so much of all of us in that thread it might help in directing the interview.

I am very excited about this, thanx again for putting it all together,
Meg

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I won't be able to make the chat. I want to say to Ann that I loved the book. I cried and laughed. It was guy wrenching to read. I really felt their pain.

My questions...

1. How did writing this book help you with your own personal journey?

2. As I asked the group, do you think everyone has a 'story' some sort of personal drama that has impacted thier lives? Do you think that we need to share these stories in order to mvoe past the pain or can some people keep the pain to themselves and still work through it?

3. Why did Stella have to die? Could she not have been really sick and you could still tell the story?

Thank you for your time and your beautiful book.

message 7: by Kathy-Diane (new)

Kathy-Diane This is a lovely book. I won't be able to attend as I'm working, but I do have a question:

As a writer, I'm always curious as to how other writers ideas incubate and give birth. What twigged the idea for this story, and sparked the desire to put it on paper? Was it the physical act of knitting or was it an emotional tug from a character, or characters, beginning to form in your imagination?

message 8: by Spencer (new)

Spencer (spencerafreeman) | 143 comments I can't attend :( Hopefully the next one, though

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Anastasia, If you have anything you would like to ask/discuss with Ann, you can post it here and read her response when you're able to!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Ann, I had a Q that I just thought of!

How is it that you write so well about things that aren't necessarily a part of your life? For instance, Marie's relationship with her Mother and Marie's & Dylan's falling away from one another in their grief (and marriage) before coming back together?

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Not to worry Ladies! Ann will answer our Q's here just as soon as she can!

message 12: by Ann (new)

Ann Well, I too lost my 5 year old daughter. But she was not my only child, and that different served as the way to write this story fictionally. Also, I have a great husband and a great mom! In fact, just about every other detail is made up. I do live in Providence however!

message 13: by Ann (new)

Ann I think I have answered much of this already? But writing didn't help me through my loss. To relive that pain day after day was difficult. I didn't write it as part of my journey. I've been a writer for over 20 years, and so most things that happen to me do eventually find their way into my writing, either fictionally or non-fictionally.

My mom is great. The relationship is nothing like the one I made up for Mary.

message 14: by Ann (new)

Ann If Stella didn't die, this book wouldn't exist. That loss is at the heart of Mary's character and her journey! The story of a really sick child is a different story.

I think everyone has a story, and I think telling stories is a way to make sense of life.

message 15: by Ann (new)

Ann I think I've answered this one in other posts. But I would add that it was a combination of all of these things.

message 16: by Ann (new)

Ann Yikes! That's what writers do! Otherwise, it's memoir! For fiction, you dig for the emotional truth and figure out the best way to illumnate that for the readers.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Everyone, please check out the "Welcome Ann!" thread, here in the Past Book Club section, to see the Q & A with Ann from Wed, 9*10*08!!!