Axis Mundi X discussion

A Day in the Life > Summer Evaluations!

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (last edited Sep 02, 2008 12:56AM) (new)

RandomAnthony Yes, ladies and gentlemen, by the traditional Labor Day marker summer is over. Sure, you can argue summer isn't over (fuck, it's going to be 85 here today, so be my guest) but even if you want the season to linger, at best it's almost over.

So, ladies and gentlemen, how was your summer? Did you have fun? Did you accomplish what you wanted to accomplish, if anything? What was great? What sucked?

And to what in autumn are you looking forward?

* This was a great, or almost great, summer for me. I worked a ton through June and July then took August a bit easier. I read a lot, started writing more meaningfully, and took my health more seriously. After a 72 hour Memorial Day weekend pizza and alcohol bender I decided to get healthier and lost about twenty-five pounds over the summer.

* My poor cats died, and I miss them. That was hard.

* My wife and kids went to see my wife's mom for two weeks in August. That sucked but I used the time to clean the basement (30 bags of garbage, I'm not kidding) of all the crap we've accumulated over the last eleven years. I also started out hot and heavy with the landscaping but slacked off in August. I should have sprayed the deck and cedar with sealant. Oops. Oh well. Next year.

* I didn't travel much, just a couple trips to Chicago and other smaller trips around the state. I'm ok with that. The boys and I hung out at home...played D and D...hit coffee shops...etc.

* I'm looking forward to the cool of Autumn and the return to routine. My wife just started a 60% teaching job, her first since our second son was born (he's eight) and my youngest starts kindergarten today. They're (including my wife) so ready to go back to school.

Ok...that's it for now. You?

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 129 comments Summer started ridiculously late and it's already cool and rainy. Boo.

The bit of summer we had was warm and dry with only a couple of hot spells. Yay! I'm utterly weather-dependent, mood-wise, and I loved it.

Lots of great music shows. Volunteered for a local music-fest. Good times.

Garden looked (still looks) okay. That's huge success for me!

I met 'the new guy'. It's been fun so far and looks to continue to be fun for the short-term foreseeable future. This is a good thing.

Servius  Heiner  | 1980 comments Mod
My summer has been terrible. This has helped feed my charming personality I’m sure. Winter took its sweet time leaving, and never really left. Every night this year so far has been below 40 degrees. We had about 2 weeks in Fairbanks where the temperature bounced above 70 for a few hours, just to fall back to a chilly evening.

Aside from the weather, I have not finished a single project this summer. Too much time at work, that un-curable crud I caught, that is still lingering. Yeah, it is a safe bet that this summer was almost a complete wash.

I’m still working outside, as long as I press myself and keep my heart rate up it doesn’t seem too cold out. Dinah is no longer interested in staying with me outside. Anything longer then an hour or so and she starts to whine.

message 4: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) | 3620 comments Mod
Summer List

trip to Portland (check)
finish unpacking my house after the move (check)
lose some weight (five pounds check)
walk more (sporadically, but more than I was check)
throw a big house warming party (check!)
work on my novel (check... made a lot of progress... lost a lot of work in my laptop crash... but wound up being more organized as a result... check)
enjoy time with my daughter (check)

bonus unexpected trip to spend time with dad (check)... not really under the best circumstances, but time with dad nonetheless. (okay, fine, so it made me super crazy afterward, but whose counting, right?)

several trips to the beach, bonus extra visit from Portland lovelies!, acquisition of fabulous junk from road trips which now decorates the top of my kitchen cupboards, absolutely no tan whatsoever.

All in all a decent summer, if somewhat less so than I had planned. My best friend is leaving for Denver at the end of the month. Fall is going to be a bitch on wheels. And so am I. : )

message 5: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Due to my move last July, this was my first entire summer since 1959 without living through triple-digit heat. (Breathes sigh of relief.)

So I moved to the beach last year, and what did I do this summer? Spent 6 weeks at our cabin in the Northern Sierra (leaving today). But I avoided the hazy days and crowds at the beach. It's been lovely here in the mountains. Skies blue beyond blue, a little breeze in the afternoon, and me with my feet up reading on the deck and watching the pine trees grow.

First thing this fall is a trip to Santa Fe for the yearly Constant Reader confab.

And then we really DO have to get kicking on that kitchen remodel.

message 6: by Kelly (last edited Sep 02, 2008 11:19AM) (new)

Kelly Summer was a strange season for me, rather quixotic in my emotions and doings.

The positive:

- official college graduation
- Moving in with the SO, getting our apartment set up, generally making a home for ourselves. Squee, squish, smiley faces. :)
- Generally settling into an adult routine out of college, and dealing with/realizing I can deal with Real Life (however much I may hate it) and all its accompanying problems, financial, practical, and otherwise.
- going on vacation with the SO was amazing.
- the little brother moved into my vicinity, I think it will do our relationship good.
- Withstanding the disapproval of the Parents time and time again without bending.

The negative
- My job. It sucks. I've been over this before, I won't bore people again. I just need to get out and do something interesting, substantial, anywhere near my field.
- Still have no real settled idea about grad school, future plans. I had meant to have that worked out by now, and I don't, and it hinders
- I had to deal with death for the first time, really, this summer. I'd never known anyone who died before. It has been a surreal, awful experience and I won't say that I'm quite over it yet.
- being terrible about studying for the GRE, as evidenced by the fact that I'm on here instead of studying with the free time at work I have.
- eating terribly and not pushing myself exercising has made me feel bad about my body. Grrrr. I threw away most of my work from last year, which is an awful feeling.

Looking forward to in the fall:
- taking the GRE this week.
- focusing on job searching, interviewing, etc.
- birthdays, special occasions, holidays, etc that are coming up v. soon!
- my Christmas present to myself: not being at this job anymore. I hope. Maybe. If I'm a very good girl. :)