Axis Mundi X discussion

Amy Goodman Arrested at the RNC. What?

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Varmint (new)

Varmint are these the same peaceful demonstrators who were stockpiling ziplock bags full of urine to throw at police?

i have a long and storied history of not getting along with cops. but i would not immediately assume amy goodman is some sort of innocent naif.

message 2: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 1818 comments Mod
Amy Goodman is a journalist, not a demonstrator, Varmint.

message 3: by Varmint (new)

Varmint i remember her from pacifica radio. "journalist" is not the term i'd use.

message 4: by Varmint (new)

Varmint why so defensive when people call you on your b.s. bunny?

here's a link to a story about another journalist running around st. paul.

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/artic...

message 5: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 1818 comments Mod
I believe Amy Goodman carried a press pass. Therefore, she is a journalist. She was reporting, not demonstrating.
You may not LIKE what she was reporting, you may not like her point of view, but that is not relevant. It is her RIGHT to report.
There is such a thing as freedom of the press, and arresting a journalist flies in the face of that fundamental right.

message 6: by Varmint (new)

Varmint "I believe Amy Goodman carried a press pass. Therefore, she is a journalist. She was reporting, not demonstrating. "

you don't know that. neither does bunny.

now, ms. watson. you have a manipulative passive aggressive style of dealing with anyone who contradicts you. how dare i point out that you don't know what happened before that youtube video began. how dare i suggest that amy goodman is a propagandist who has minimal interest in telling any truth that does not serve her cause.

obviously i must be a bad person for doing this.

message 7: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell You can see the press pass around her neck.

message 8: by Varmint (new)

Varmint way to miss the point dave.

i've had press passes. they mean nothing. they no more give you license to riot than a policemans badge gives him the right to bust heads.

message 9: by Varmint (new)

Varmint bunny.

you and i exist on different planes. i don't think there is a right to not be offended.

i have to work this week anyway. you will probably have the forum to yourself for a few days.

message 10: by Lori (new)

Lori Jesus. I hate when people get sneeringly dismissive and sarcastic because someone else has a different point of view. Varmint, you've been on her case from day one, because she has argued with things you've said, point by point, with backup, in a logical and RESPECTFUL way.

message 11: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) | 3620 comments Mod
Varmint... Bunny is right in pointing out your propensity for slanting her comments in ways that she does not intend... and your tendency to be antagonistic towards her. You have also leveled this antagonism at me on occasion. Usually I choose to ignore it because I don't feel there is any point to getting into it with you. You often approach discussions here with a belligerence which is out of proportion to the conversations in progress. It is much the same way that NB used to come out swinging at me in my conversations with him in 3D. I think Bunny has been extremely reserved and even-keeled in her responses to you. It's a sign of your disrespect for her that you refuse to show her the same courtesy. It seems plain to me that you prefer to use this forum as a place to vent hostility unrelated to the discussions rather than as a place to conduct debates and discussions aimed at developing mutual understanding.

That being said, Bunny, I'm going to say to you now what close friends of mine used to say to me when I would get into conversations with our mutual friend Derek. Except, I'm going to insert another name here. Dude, it's Varmint. He lives to push people's buttons and be an antagonistic butt head. Water off a duck, baby.

message 12: by Varmint (new)

Varmint what do you think her original post meant to say?

i saw several big assumptions. and i questioned them.

she accused me of putting words in her mouth. okay, i am still left wondering what her original post meant to say. i'm waiting for one example of where she actually answered a question.

i'm sorry i hurt her feelings. i don't know how to deal with someone who's feelings are hurt when you contradict them. i guess my only option is to never challenge anything she post.

charissa.
i don't see any immediate way i'm going to stop being sarcastic and dismissive. you're the moderator. if you want me to go away i will.

message 13: by RandomAnthony (last edited Sep 02, 2008 12:39AM) (new)

RandomAnthony Yeah, Varmint, I just assume within a minute or two of someone expressing a liberal viewpoint you're going to post saying that they're full of shit or whatever. I can understand you wanting a forum for such thoughts but I think the blowback is that I start to assume that your comments are less about exploring the truth and more about a kneejerk response motivated by...whatever. Honestly, I think people are starting to take you less than seriously.

message 14: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 129 comments I haven't seen DonnaBunny pissed like this before. And she has had the right to be. She's usually the peacemaker.

Getting the peacemaker mad takes some doing.

I assume her original post meant to say that due to the RNC, some pretty interesting people are being arrested in St. Paul. Please discuss (...amicably...without attacking Ms. Watson).

And...uh...I'm pretty sure there's no law on the books in Ramsey County or anywhere else against "suspicion of rioting." 'Cause otherwise I could just raise an eyebrow at any political or any other people-galvanizing event, from across the street, and I could be arrested for it. Without action, intent should not be legislated, Mr. McCarthy.

And documenting should never be considered an incendiary act. If you're right, you should never fear being recorded for posterity. If you're wrong, you make yourself look wrong-er when you openly squash those who record for posterity.

message 15: by Cyril (new)

Cyril I'm probably not going to win many friends saying this, and I don't know any of the history here, but Varmint's initial post just presented his opinion about this Goodman - don't assume Goodman was arrested without reason. I didn't see anything offensive there. However, the comment by BW - You really need to stop having arguments with imaginary people in your head dude. - seems to be asking for a comeback.

There was a journalist arrested outside the DNC convention on camera as well. I don't know anything about these journalists, but they are not immune to arrest.

I will now run away.

Servius  Heiner  | 1980 comments Mod
I don't know about either "reporter" being arrested, other then there were reporters arrested. Being a reporter does not put one above law. I wasn't there, and video only shows one side of a story.

If they were un-lawfully arrested they can take the same course of action that the rest of us can if we are arrested un-lawfully. If they were instigating or fanning the flames then they should have been arrested. The "protesters" at the RNC can hardly be called peaceful.

I understand that the actual number of un-peaceful protesters was pretty small, but they ruined it for everyone else. Once violence starts then police have a responsibility to respond and maybe be a little heavy handed to make sure every one is on the same page... what is on the page? Protest, but do it in a constructive way.

Yes, but one is arrested before they see the judge no?

I understand what you are saying Donna. Like I said, I can't see what you folks can see, you tube is something I can not get to. So I was just making a general statement. Everyone is subject to arrest. I don't think Law enforcement should be concerned if there is a press pass around someone’s neck. If they break the law, they get arrested. I also don't think Law enforcement agencies need to worry about PR. That is not their roll in society. I understand that some agencies have been used as such in the past; it never turns out well does it?

I guess this is more of a conversation on what should be; not what is.

message 19: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Varmint... of course we don't want you to leave the group. If I wanted that I would just have kicked your ass to the curb. I know I dared you and all, but if you are picking on Bunny Watson in hopes that I will eject your irascible ass, your hopes must be dashed today. No... your voice is welcome here, I'm just saying you might be a tad less belligerent in your debate tack. If it wouldn't cause a hernia or anything. That way, when you speak, we'll be more likely to hear something other than "blah blah blah I'm another angry conservative".

Carry on.

message 20: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) Charissa, we're not all angry. Some of us are simply standoffish and austere.

message 21: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Oh Rusty, of course you're not all angry. However, I have encountered my fair share of Angry Conservatives™ around and about. It seems to be a phenomenon especially peculiar to the San Francisco Bay Area. I have been told that it is a result of feeling beset and out-numbered by self-righteous Leftists. I just don't have any more tolerance for knee-jerk conservatism than I have for knee-jerk liberals. And I find a particular flavor of sneering dismissiveness particularly unsavory.

I have no problem with standoffishness and austerity. It's that whole strong, silent type. Rawr.

message 22: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) I was just playing with you, Char.

Although, I do feel a special brand of pity for any conservative living in the Bay area.

message 23: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

:::punches Rusty in the arm::::

Hell, I pity us moderates living here in the Bay Area. So much so that when I see bumper stickers that say "Shut Up Hippy" I laugh until I cry.

message 24: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) In case anyone is interested, here's the video of Amy Goodman's arrest

message 25: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

why in hell are they arresting Amy Goodman and giving the Left any more ammunition than they have already? Are they trying to create a martyr out of her?

message 26: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) After watching the video, it seems pretty clear-cut. It seems that the police told everybody to stay behind the line or they would be arrested. This Goodman woman decided to cross the line, and she got arrested.

message 27: by Jude (new)

Jude (jude42) | 34 comments

Honestly, I think people are starting to take you less than seriously.

jus driving around sightseeing, & loved this. should i ever suffer fools gladly long enough to warrant it, may i borrow it?