Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > Adding editions

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Seth (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:54PM) (new)

Seth | 78 comments I wrote a review of a book and realized that the edition on Goodreads isn't the same as my edition. Given the author, I'm more than willing to expect that the text is radically different, but I don't care enough to check, so I went to add my edition.

When I did, I noticed that the "manually add books" page requests that I use the existing edition rather than add another.

Is that what is intended? I don't mind either way; I'm just curious and want to stick with the preference.

If it matters, the edition I have is a self-published one without an ISBN, whereas the later edition is through a small publisher and was assigned a number.

The book is crap either way, sadly.

message 2: by Femmy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:54PM) (new)

Femmy | 118 comments Are you referring to the notice "The book you are adding may already exist in our database. If it appears below, please use that edition instead of adding a new one"?

If so, the notice is intended to prevent duplicate entries for the exact same edition of a title. If the edition of your book is different, then of course it would be good to add it.

You can read the discussion that led to this feature here: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show_g...