Lamphere Honor Students discussion

The Color Purple

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather Borngesser | 1 comments The Color Purple, by Alice Walker, is a story of two sisters, who are separated soon after their mother dies. Celie, married off young, to a man who doesn’t love her, and Nettie sent to Africa to be a missionary. Celie raped by her stepfather and becoming a mother as a young girl was forced to grow up at a young age.
While reading this book I got a better understanding of the way African American people lived back then. Alice Walker wrote with the language that would have been used back then. The grammar and the spelling each character used showed each characters Intelligence.
Celie, the main character, was married to an older man to tend to his needs, and take care of his children. She did whatever she was told in fear of being beat by Mr. Celie was not strong enough to stand up for herself, but she was strong mentally. Celie always hated Mr. But she stayed loyal to him when he didn’t deserve it. Celie doesn’t know any other life; she doesn’t know what its like to be loved, until Mr.‘s young love Shug Avery comes to stay with them.
Shug is a strong southern singer whose beauty captivates Celie. She teaches Celie to stand up for herself and what it feels like to be loved. As I read the book I almost felt as if Celie was living through Shug. She admired everything Shug did, but would never fallow in her footsteps. Mr. and Celie had finally found something they had in common they were both in love with Shug Avery.
Across the Atlantic Nettie, Celie’s younger sister, was struggling as a missionary. Nettie was there so serve the natives of Africa with her husband Samuel, but was not getting appreciated. After her nephew ran away to find his true love and missing her big sister, Nettie began to give up hope that anything would be ok again; but when her nephew returns and then soon is married Nettie got back her confidence.
This book taught me of the different ways to love someone. To never give up hope in people, and if you love someone they will come back to you

message 2: by Megan (new)

Megan | 6 comments This sounds like a really intresting book, your review really makes mew ant to read it!

message 3: by Sara (new)

Sara | 2 comments this book sounds very inspirational..i just might have to read it.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy Guzynski (Guzynski) | 15 comments Mod
Needs some concrete examples and details to support your claims. I love the last two lines.