Jonathan Livingston Seagull Jonathan Livingston Seagull discussion

The DVD is out today

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Seth (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:54PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Seth The DVD ([http://www.greencine.com/webCatalog?i...]) hit shelves today. It isn't exactly the story of the book (but it's not so different as to be dissonant) and it's even cheesier than the book (I love the book, but its sense of innocence and the number of now-better-known books with the same or similar message makes it read as cheesy these days).

Be warned: The DVD contains a score by Neil Diamond. Whatever you may think of his pop work, imagine him writing a score to a Richard Bach movie in 1973 and you will immediately reel from the sense of overblown, self-righteous sincerity.

Although it won Diamond the '74 the Golden Globe award for Best Original Score.

In addition, it took two academy noms (cinematography and editing) and another Globe nom (Best Original Song for Diamond's "Lonely Looking Sky"), but Marvin Hamlisch's "The Way We Were" was unstoppable. In retrospect, the HPFA chose the right song :-)

All in all, not up to the Bob Fosse adaptation of The Little Prince with Fosse as the snake and Gene Wilder as the fox, but equally odd. If you like the book you might want to check it out.

Stephy I never liked the book, but thanks for the suggestion, on behalf of those who secretly like it.