Guilty Pleasures discussion

Beautiful Queers

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Connor (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:54PM) (new)

Connor | 3 comments Hey! I'm wondering if anybody has some good books to recommend starring a queer protagonist of extraordinary physical beauty (as defined in the context of the book itself).
'Pussy, King of the Pirates' kind of fits the bill....
'Written on the Body' is also close to what I'm looking for...

Any help would be phenomenal. I'm drowning in a sea full of gay dreamboats, which are no help at all. Are there any Queer authors negotiating with ideas of beauty?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

"First Person Plural" by Andrew Beierle has as its protagonists conjoined twins who are, as described in the book, of near stunning beauty.

message 3: by James (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:55PM) (new)

James | 5 comments Alan Hollinghurst's novel The Spell centers on a group of four men, three of whom have remarkable beauty (the other guy is apparently cute enough, but lacking in confidence). The three beauties range in age from 20s to 40s, and Hollinghurst explores how their ages affect how they see themselves. However, they're more than gorgeous mannequins; even their shallowest feelings and thoughts are wonderfully complex.

message 4: by Connor (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new)

Connor | 3 comments Thanks so much guys!

message 5: by Skip (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:15PM) (new)

Skip | 4 comments I really like Hollinghurst, but for some reason, I've never heard of this novel.
Thanks, I'll check it out.
Have you read "Line of Beauty"? It's very excellent.

S.

message 6: by Connor (new)

Connor | 3 comments Yea. Line of beauty is a real gem! I hear hollinghurst hangs out at Popstarz with Thomas Ades...

message 7: by Sid (new)

Sid | 1 comments Try Ready to Catch Him Should He Fall by Neil Bartlett.

message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate | 12 comments Not quite what you asked for, but have you read Temple of the Golden Pavilion by Yukio Mishima? It's about a man obsessed with beauty.

message 9: by Martin (new)

Martin Brant (martinbrant) Dorian, in "The Picture of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde fits the category of beautiful men, in addition to being an interesting character.