The Next Best Book Club discussion

Group Read Discussions > Shantaram - Spoilers!

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10095 comments Mod
Feel free to discuss any aspect of the novel here.

message 2: by Mandy (new)

Mandy As said in the other thread I'm at page 418. He has just gone into The Road. The reception he got when he first went in with the overseers and their bamboo sticks was horrible but the way he handled himself was, oh I don't even know how to say it, just that I would have run like hell.

I love Prabaker and I love the way they all talk, how they mix English around a bit and it sounds so funny, some of their expressions are gorgeous.

message 3: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 1128 comments Prabaker is so awesome. His family is pretty darn neat as well. Have you arrived to the scene where Lin moves to the slums yet?

message 4: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Yeah, he moved in quite a while ago. All's I can say is WOW! The stuff this man has been through certainly was good for writing a book. Sometimes I forget it's real.

message 5: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 1128 comments It's not entirely real. It's "based upon real events" so you have to assume that a certain amount is fictional. Still, it's one hell of a story.

message 6: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Oops, I meant what you said, Logan, not completely real but still even for him to imagine things and write about them to me shows he's lived right at the edge of it when he hasn't lived right in it. One hell of a story indeed.

message 7: by Melanie (new)

Melanie I read somewhere that he is planning to write a sequel.

message 8: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Really? That would be interesting. I'll have to keep my eyes and ears open for that.

Melanie, are you reading this at the moment or have you read it?

message 9: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Hi Mandy-
I read it a couple years ago. I was randomly looking at books at Costco one day and a woman walked up to me and told me I absolutely had to read it. I liked it, though I did think it was a little slow at times.

message 10: by Mandy (new)

Mandy I have heard so many people say they like this book, even when I was at the doctors a woman asked if I was enjoying it, it just seems so many people have read it.

I've been reading it for a while now because I haven't had much time to read so I don't feel like it's slow going story-wise, perhaps if I read it a little faster I might but I'm enjoying it so far.

I'm about halfway through, where he's in The Road jail. What's your favourite part, Melanie?

message 11: by Ann from S.C. (new)

Ann from S.C. | 1395 comments I am at the part where Lin has just moved into the slums. I was not sure how I was going to like it, but it is really getting good.

message 12: by Melanie (last edited Sep 01, 2008 08:28PM) (new)

Melanie Mandy - I really liked his relationship with Prabaker and his fellow neighbors, how he moved to the slums and became the resident "doctor" there. There were also a couple parts that left strong images - the rats running through and keeping the streets "clean" and the cholera scenes. What has been your favorite part so far?

This might have been mentioned in other threads, but they are making a movie of it.

message 13: by Mandy (last edited Sep 01, 2008 08:44PM) (new)

Mandy Melanie - that rat scene was horrid, I felt like I was there and ew, yuck!

I love Prabaker, he just seems so cute.

Hm, my favourite bit so far - I like the discussions, debates, they have at Khaderbhai's (sp?) and when he had his nephew stay with him, not that so much of that detail is mentioned, just how at first he didn't want him to stay for even 2 days but then felt like he'd lost something when the boy went back.

Oh, the bear hug, that's got to be one of the funniest parts so far - ha ha, I'm even laughing about it right now.

message 14: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Oh - I forgot about the bear hug!

message 15: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 224 comments Everyone is bringing back so many memories of this book. I read it a few years ago and forgot so many parts, like the bear hug! I love the character of Prabaker. Glad you are all enjoying it for the most part.

message 16: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Lin is now out of The Road and working on the black market whilst trying to find out who set him up - I shall be very interested to find this out myself.

message 17: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 1128 comments Ooooo Mandy! You're getting into the heart of it now!

message 18: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Okay, this will sound completely girly but I have a hair appointment today and I can't wait because it means I'll have a nice chunk of time to read more of this book.

Logan - you make me want to stop work and read!

Abigail (42stitches) | 360 comments One of the most important things in a book for me is quotable passages. Today's winner is:
"motions into the oceans, isn't it?"-166
Lol

message 20: by Ann from S.C. (new)

Ann from S.C. | 1395 comments I. AM. LOVING. THIS. BOOK!!!!!!!

message 21: by Mandy (new)

Mandy There are so many quotable passages in this book, it's fabulous!

Abigail (42stitches) | 360 comments I was just got past the part where the boys are fighting about religion (about 225). and it got me thinking. I wish all religious disputes could be solved with education. if only it were that simple. Cross-cultural education is so important, but so many people don't take it seriously enough to allow themselves acceptance of other people's beliefs. At least that's what my mind has been coming up with. This book is in itself a cross-cultural experience, and I suppose I wouldn't be reading it if didn't care.

message 23: by Lori (new)

Lori Lin has met Abdullah and Ker-whas-his-name, who speaks of the impossible and that is proof of God. It's very beautiful. Yet I also know these people are hardened criminals, aiding terrorists. It may be Afghans vs. Russia now, yet these same people would have been vs. the US. I'm having a hard time with this, that all these people Lin admires are really The Bad Guys.

message 24: by Ann from S.C. (new)

Ann from S.C. | 1395 comments I know this is spoilers but I'm not going to say it just that my heart is breaking!!! I am so sad!!!

message 25: by Ann from S.C. (new)

Ann from S.C. | 1395 comments I am almost finished, and I don't want to be!! But I have also started CIDER HOUSE, so I know all good things must end:(

message 26: by Mandy (new)

Mandy I'm about 200 pages away from finishing the book however my heart was breaking yesterday when I was reading and one of my favourites was gone :(

I'm guessing the heartbreak continues :(

message 27: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Mandy, my heart broke too at that part.

message 28: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 1128 comments Mandy, that scene shattered me. I had to put the book down for a few days because I just couldn't fathom the book without him.

Abigail (42stitches) | 360 comments I finished last night. That was a really sweet ending. I didn't expect that at all.

message 30: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Logan, I couldn't believe it. I think that will be pretty hard to watch in the movie.

Hoping to finish it this weekend and am looking forward to a sweet ending.

message 31: by Katrina (new)

Katrina (trina26) I have to agree with everyone here. This book has got to be one of my top 5. I was never all that interested in India before this book and now I can't wait to go! And the characters!!! How can you not love Prabaker! All of Robert’s characters, no matter how corrupt, are irresistible. This book is such a masterful combination of humor, desolation, love, philosophy, squalor, and culture. Every single sentence in this (quite lone) book rings true. It is one of the best written books I’ve ever read. And to think that this is almost biographical!

message 32: by Ann from S.C. (new)

Ann from S.C. | 1395 comments Just finished it and loved it. Very well written. I can't help wonder how many of the beatings did he really get in real life, and which were made up. I mean, I think I would have lasted 1 hour at THE ROAD, and just signed out for good!

I hated the part where he did drugs again.

And I hated when some of my favorite people died. :(

I hope there is a sequel so we can find out about how he ended up in jail in Germany...Maybe following Karla??...

message 33: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Finished this last night. Wow. You go through every kind of emotion reading this book, love, hate, happy, sad, envy, jealousy, et cetera, et cetera. Still giving it a little time till I post my review.

After reading this book for so long I truly feel like some of my friends have left me.

message 34: by Melanie (last edited Sep 15, 2008 06:40PM) (new)

Melanie Ann- I read somewhere awhile back that this was the first book out of a projected four books, but I haven't been able to find that anywhere else. I looked at his website and he does mention a sequel but doesn't give much detail.

message 35: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Okay, here's my review:

Love. Hate. Good. Evil. Peace. War. Alone. Surrounded. Wealthy. Poor. Complex. Simple. Loyal. Traitor. Teach. Learn. Fast. Slow. Find. Lose. Innoncent. Guilty. Surrender. Fight. Friend. Enemy. Home. Lost.

Simple words that sum up this remarkable book. There are many, many, many more words I could use in this review but even if I thought I'd used them all there still wouldn't be enough words to put how I feel about this book into something to express to others.

This book is a journey, one where so much happens, good and bad, and ultimately this book is about life, your life, my life, everyone's life. It will stay with me forever.

message 36: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 1128 comments I love that the only appropriate way to review this book is with large encompassing language that can barely convey the sheer size and scope of the novel. It's really a book that lends itself to superlatives.

Mandy, I'm glad you enjoyed it and that my recommendation was not in vain. This was one of my favorites the year I read it and I can't wait for a good long holiday so that I can reread it.

message 37: by Macy (new)

Macy | 155 comments I just finished this last night. What an amazing book. So much passion and heartache. I can't wait to read it again some day and just revel in the language and imagery.

It will be interesting to see the movie - I've been trying to think of what parts they will cut out, since there's no way to cover even most of 1000 pages in a 3 hour movie!

Who knows when they will be available, but I also look forward to his next books.