The Next Best Book Club discussion

Group Read Discussions > Cider House Rules discussion

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10095 comments Mod
PLease refrain from posting spoilers here. We have created a seperate thread for them. Happy Reading and discussing!

message 2: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 1128 comments So I've been reading this for a few days now and I'm just having trouble finding the motivation to keep going. I know I'll probably finish it, but I just have a hard time convincing myself to keep going.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good book. I just have a hard time pursuing it. It's like when you know a book is good but you just can't get into it.

The Book Whisperer (aka Boof) Know what you mean exactly Logan, I am having the same problem but I am somewhat encouraged by the fact that you ended up giving it 4 stars. I think when others start reading it I will feel more inclinded to pick it up again.

message 4: by Tisha (new)

Tisha I just requested this book from the library and must admit I am worried about the pace of the book after reading your comments.

message 5: by Stacie (last edited Sep 01, 2008 04:57PM) (new)

Stacie Like Tisha, I too am a bit worried about the pace after reading your comments. But, like Boof, am encouraged that you gave it 4 stars Logan. I am about 11 pages in and am liking it so far. But again, that is being 11 pages in!

I am pretty sure I have seen the movie, but am glad that I don't remember any of it. Except knowing the Tobey Macguire was in it. But, that was a giveaway since he is on the cover of my copy of the book! :)

message 6: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 714 comments Not too far in myself but liking it so far. My sister-in-law said she had a hard time with it at first but then could not put it down. Hopefully that will happen with us too!

message 7: by Julianne (last edited Sep 02, 2008 04:19AM) (new)

Julianne | 314 comments This book really has 2 parts to it, and two stories to be sure. It causes some confusion, as well as Irving's writing style.

John Irving is a good storyteller, but you often don't know where he's going (or where he came from). My problem with the book when I read it was, if I took a break and picked the book back up, I couldn't remember what was going on. With all the flashbacks and changes to the story, I got easily confused. And he'll start a new subplot without warning.

Trust Irving. He'll get you where you need to go, just let him lead you. The pace is slow. I switched between being "into" this story, and then not. I finished it mainly b/c I didn't want to give up. But, looking back, it's worth it. Just go with it.

message 8: by silvia (new)

silvia  | 282 comments like I said on the other thread, i've read it a while know. Its definitly a slow read, it took me a while to enter the story... problably 100 pages or more. but I really loved the book. Its worth the trouble

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

It never fails to fascinate me how books are so different for everyone who reads them. While other Irving books read slow to me, Cider House read really quickly. I guess the book just struck a chord with me, because I see that many others felt differently. Another possibility is that I was not forced to take breaks with this book, whereas if I read it now I might end up feeling the same way Julianne does.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I just got my copy from the library. I am a bit nervous! PLease tell me it gets better??????

message 11: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 224 comments I am enjoying this book while I am reading it, but I have a problem picking it up to get back into reading it. I am about 60 pages in or so...I'm working on it, slowly but surely. This is my first Irving so I need to get used to his style.

message 12: by Kellie (new)

Kellie (acountkel) | 992 comments I like it already and I'm only on page 17

I've read "Until I Find You", "A Prayer for Owen Meany" and "Widow for a Year"
Liked them all.

I've been to Maine. My father is from New England so the description of the country side is intriguing to me.

Irving takes his time telling a story. He wants to give you a really good description of the place, the people and the time.
Another thing to note about Irving is, his novels are somewhat biographical. He grew up in New England, his father was missing from a good part of his life...he really puts himself into his stories.

Don't be nervous....Enjoy him.

message 13: by Allison (new)

Allison (sockweasel) | 432 comments I started reading it last night, and I'm close to 100 pages in and enjoying it so far. :)

I'm excited to be reading with you guys. I didn't think I was going to be able to read this one this month since I wasn't able to get it from the library, but I found it at Goodwill the other day, yay!

Looking forward to talking more about it with everyone as we get further through the book. :)

message 14: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Vogtman (jessica_vogtman) | 9 comments I actually read this book several years ago. It is a very nice story line. It does take a while to develop the characters and plot line, but it is worth the time. I found the movie to be a big disappointment in comparison to the novel. Hope everyone enjoys.

message 15: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 163 comments I started this yesterday...I have only gotten through the first chapter but its pretty good so far.

message 16: by Marsha (new)

Marsha I just started also. I work in foster care/adoption so I'm wondering how I will feel about this. I do love the writing style- but reading Irving for an aspiring writer is a little depressing too.

I can read a middle of the road book and come out on the other side thinking to myself- "I could do that, I could tell a story like that." When I read something like Irving, the thought occurs to me over and over again... "I could never do that, I would never have thought of that..." His writing is seven months pregnant when it is slow, and then he births the baby and I am in awe.

I think that's why I had such a hard time finishing A Prayer for Owen Meany.

The World According to Garp was one of my favorite books ever though. I read it four or five times in the few years after the movie came out. I'd like to read it again now that I have had these more recent experiences with Irving.

message 17: by Kellie (new)

Kellie (acountkel) | 992 comments Marsha I love your comment "His writing is seven months pregnant when it is slow, and then he births the baby"
Perfect description!!

I'm about 1/2 way thru this book.
It's good.
Irving is so detailed in his story telling sometimes your feet drag in the mud.
But then he takes off again and the pace starts to quicken.

message 18: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 224 comments I think that I am going to have to put this book down for awhile. I am enjoying the story so far, but I'm not even 100 pages through, and I can't see myself finishing it anytime soon. I've been so busy that I can only read a few pages at a time and really cant concentrate on it. I feel that I need to pick this book back up again when I can really sit down and enjoy it, not feel like it is a chore. I will read it eventually...just not now. I hope everyone enjoys it! Sigh...

message 19: by Allison (last edited Sep 09, 2008 06:47PM) (new)

Allison (sockweasel) | 432 comments I think it is so interesting to see how differently this book is reading to everyone. Like for some it's a quick read, and some it's slow. Very interesting.

I'm actually enjoying it a lot more than I expected to when I first read what the book was about. It's pulled me in right from the first few pages, which I really didn't expect. I'm enjoying it a lot!! :) I'm almost done; I've got just over 100 pages to go.

message 20: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Excellent comment Marsha!

message 21: by Marsha (new)

Marsha Thanks ladies. Those comments will get me through a few more self-critical remarks. Gotta keep some funds in the ego's account. :)

message 22: by Ann from S.C. (new)

Ann from S.C. | 1395 comments I just started and I think its going to be another winner!

message 23: by Joe (new)

Joe Mossa | 23 comments
i who am a slow reader loved this book. i am surprised to hear,read that so many of you are nervous about reading a book. what is there to be nervous about ? this was my favorite book until EMPIRE FALLS which has been replaced by BRIDGE OF SIGHS,richard russo is my fav writer. i do get a bit nervous when trying to pick my next book. i think ill read THE SECRET LIFE OF BEES since ive read so many good reviews of it here. i may or may not finish KNIGHT,,th bob knight story.

message 24: by Joe (new)

Joe Mossa | 23 comments
i like that..ego account..i think mine is as low as my bank account..lol

message 25: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 714 comments About 100 pages in. I was surprised at how detailed the descriptions of the various "proceedures" are-ugh! I like it so far though but can see how it's definitely darker than the movie.

message 26: by Stacie (new)

Stacie I am just beyond the 300 page mark. I am still enjoying it and feel invested in the characters. however, it feels like it is taking me FOREVER to read!

Joanie, I was a little overwhelmed by all the description myself, but then realized that it is necessary. I feel the description provides me with a greater insight to what Homer is hearing, smelling, feeling and learning. It isn't something that I necessarily want to know, but it is something that even HOMER wants to know?

message 27: by silvia (new)

silvia  | 282 comments well i have the world acordimg to garp in my tbr moutain... you're making me want to read it a lot!

I'll problably by picking it up soon-ish

message 28: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments Stacie, I also felt like this book took me forever to read (12 days...that's an eternity for me.) But I was invested in the characters and the story so it was worth it.

message 29: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 714 comments That's a good point Stacie. I also wonder if Irving has other motivation for being so detailed/graphic. I'll post in the spoiler thread.

message 30: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 11, 2008 10:29AM) (new)

I'm thinking it is because he is a "Dickensonian" author (on the detail as Dickens was not graphic).

message 31: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 163 comments I feel the same as you guys w/ this taking a long time to read...this is day 4 for me and I am only around page 150. I am enjoying it though so far...

message 32: by Allison (last edited Sep 11, 2008 03:05PM) (new)

Allison (sockweasel) | 432 comments I found it took me a long time to read too. I was enjoying it and interested in what I was reading throughout, but I felt like it took forever to finish!!

message 33: by Kellie (new)

Kellie (acountkel) | 992 comments I LOVED THE BOOK!
I just finished it!!
Sure, it takes Irving FOREVER to tell the story and develop the characters but when you get to the end, it is so satisfying.
The beginning and even the middle of the book dragged in some places, but don't give up on it!!You will feel really good once you finish it. It's happy and sad all at the same time. It's almost like the finale in a fireworks display. He saves the best for last and he throws it at you all at once!
This is my 4th Irving novel and I have loved every one!!

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Kellie & Allison - As a big Irving pusher I am sure glad you liked it.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

I like it but not quite close to done. It does seem to take a while to read.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

It is fascinating to me that everyone has that comment because although I am not a really fast reader and most books of this length take awhile, I think I read it in 2 or 3 days. However, I was 17 without much responsibility...