The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deborah (last edited Aug 31, 2008 11:08AM) (new)

Deborah | 283 comments I'm posting this to let you know that the wonderful Golden Retriever who we adopted this summer had to be put to sleep last Thursday. He became very ill that day, and the emergency vet discovered that he had advanced lung cancer. This was so hard for us, since we lost our wonderful friend of 12 year, Blue, in June. Still, we find comfort in the fact that we gave Zydie love, comfort and security at the end of his life.

message 2: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Aug 31, 2008 07:58PM) (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
I'm so sorry to hear this Deborah! I know this is devastating for you, just having experienced this other recent loss. My condolescences.

message 3: by Dini, the master of meaning (new)

Dini | 691 comments Mod
Deborah, that's too bad. So sorry for your loss.

message 4: by Dottie (new)

Dottie (oxymoronid) | 698 comments You are looking at this in exactly the right way -- how wonderful for Zydie to have spent his last time surrounded by the love of you and your family. Losing an animal is so hard and this seems doubly so but from Zydie's place in the turn of events good fortune certainly was smiling upon him.

message 5: by Karin (new)

Karin | 32 comments My friend sent me this a while ago in loving memory of his pup... it's likely to make you cry a little, but I think it's very sweet... Sorry to hear about Zydie

1. My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Any separation from you is likely to be painful.
2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.
3. Place your trust in me. It is crucial for my well-being.
4. Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertainments, but I have only you.

5. Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I do understand your voice when speaking to me.
6. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it.
7. Before you hit me, before you strike me, remember that I could hurt you, and yet, I choose not to bite you.
8. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food, I have been in the sun too long, or my heart might be getting old or weak.

9. Please take care of me when I grow old. You too, will grow old.
10. On the ultimate difficult journey, go with me please. Never say you can't bear to watch. Don't make me face this alone. Everything is easier for me if you are there, because I love you so.

Take a moment today to thank God for your pets. Enjoy and take good care of them. Life would be a much duller, less joyful experience without God's critters.

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness. It is here on earth and has four legs!

message 6: by Angie (new)

Angie | 512 comments Animals bring such joy to us. I have two cats whom I love like they are the world. I also adopted them from a shelter. I grew up with pets and have lost a few along the way. I have never understood how people can abuse animals, I would do anything for them since they don't have a voice. I am also a volunteer for a boxer rescue group so if anyone in the Denver area (or anywhere for that matter) are looking for a wonderful dog for a pet let me know! The dog in the picture with me is a rescue dog! http://www.hobocare.com/
It is very sad but right now we are trying to find a home for two dogs who need to stay together. One has a bad leg, it was broken many years ago and the pervious owners never fixed it at all so now he is under much medical care trying to help his leg. But I am sure he will find a wonderful forever home.

Thanks for sharing Deborah.

message 7: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

whichwaydidshego | 1996 comments Mod
Oh, Deb, I so hurt for you. I'm so very, very sorry. I know how broken your heart must be, and know there is nothing I can do... but say THAT SUCKS. My heart hurts because yours does, my friend. Sweet Zydeco was loved well, I am certain. May you feel extra loved now as you again face this loss.