The Next Best Book Club discussion

Revive a Dead Thread > Book Related Memories

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 163 comments Reading the topic "Memories of Books" brought something altogether different to my mind.

I was lucky enough to come from a home in which books were always present. My parents read to me until I was old enough to read to them. They taught me the pride in owning a library card and reverence for the quite stacks of possibilities. And they encouraged me to read anything...including the less savory reads.

So I have a couple of treasured memories regarding books...

We were at the beach one year on vacation...an interesting choice for the palest people you'll ever meet...and developed a routine in which we were in the sun only in the early morning and late evenings. During the day we played games, shopped, etc. Each afternoon, however, Mom would settle sis in for a nap by reading to her from Charlotte's Web. Dad and I soon became involved in the story as well, and long after Sis was asleep, Mom was still reading to us.

And another...

There was not a lot of reading specifically for adolescents when I was young. After you got through the children's books, you were left hanging. So I began reading from Mom's book shelves. I was reading Harlequin Romances at the age of nine and then picked up my first Harold Robbins at the tender age of 11. The Betsy. Mom saw what I was reading and went a little pale. She asked me if I had any questions about the book, and I did. We talked about some rather adult things that day. I've always respected my mom for never refusing to let me read anything on the basis of content. I don't think I could be as liberal.

So, do you have any great "book-related"
memories?

message 2: by alicia (new)

alicia grant (shesha34) I have so many.Most of my memories from being really young involve books or the library.I can remember my first trip to the library to get my library card.My dad took me and my sister.I was probably five and came away with a big stack of books.
I love the memory of my mom taking me as well when i would visit her.She wouls take me to the Evanston library and that is where i discovered Where the Sidewalk Ends.
My favorite memory is sitting on the couch with my grandma reading to her.She wa teaching me how to read when I was 4.

message 3: by Dianne (new)

Dianne Ascroft | 16 comments My memories of childhood summers are tied up with books. I really miss the hot summers in Canada sometimes (I live in Northern Ireland now) and whenever I think of the hot summers I used to know, the first image that pops into my head is of lying in a Muskoka chair, in the shade of the apple tree in our backyard reading a novel. I remember the still afternoons - nothing was moving in the heat and I was lost in a book. I loved those summer days!

Dianne Ascroft,
author, 'Hitler and Mars Bars'

message 4: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments As I relate the year something happened or something I did to where I was living, I also realte my books to where I was living when I got the book or read it and that brings memories back.

message 5: by Atishay (new)

Atishay | 1451 comments Ditto as Jeane. I remember every book I read in summers I used to spend at my Grandma's place. I even remember the shelves of the library there.
I remember reading Memoirs of Geisha in a train when i spilled some tea over my shirt. I believe there is a memory associated with each book that you read and that's what makes them your friends. Because even if you lose a book, its memory stays with you just like the sweet memories of the times you spent with a lost friend.

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura | 56 comments I too came from a reading family so trips to the library were plentiful. I remember getting my first library card.

My mom would take us to the library once a week. I read quite fast so I always finished my books before it was time to go back to the library. I remember constantly begging her to take me back to the library early so I could get more books for the rest of the week. Luckily I was able to convince her most of the time. =)

Reading through the entire Nancy Drew and Little House on the Prairie series were big highlights for me as well.

message 7: by Allison (new)

Allison i also came from a home where books were always present and encouraged.
even after i could read, my mom would read to me before bed. we read the whole little house on the prairie series and many others.

my little sister had to have quite a few surgeries when i was little, so i spent a lot of nights at my grandparents. my grandma had a fairy tale book that she read to my dad when he was little that she or grandpa would read to me out of. she passed the book along to me recently and it is one of my most treasured items.

we also lived in a very small town, and the nearest barnes and noble or borders was an hour away (and we had a horrid library), so everytime we would go to the city, we would stop at a bookstore and my parents would never say no. i remember coming out with bags and bags of books- some of which i would finish before we even got home.

one christmas i asked for the john bellairs series. my parents always wrapped books in boxes so it wasn't so obvious. i also wasn't allowed to shake my presents either. when it came time to open them, i picked up the nearest present and said, this is the entire john bellairs series- and was right!

message 8: by Atishay (new)

Atishay | 1451 comments That sounds so lovely Allison, Christmas with books and family.