YA Apocalyptic and Dystopian Fiction discussion

Book Suggestions > Free/Cheap E-Book Suggestions

Comments (showing 1-50 of 89) (89 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 31 comments I am sure these days most people have some sort of ebook reader such as a kindle, nook, etc. Even if you do not I know that you can download the Kindle app onto your computer, iphone, ipad, etc. for free to read ebooks.

So I was thinking it would be a good idea to have a place to discuss or suggest either free or really cheap (maybe .99) ebooks. I know I am always looking for a good deal. :)

I'll start with 2 that I know of (sticking with the PA/Dystopian genre of course):

1. The Last Man (Oxford World's Classics) by Mary ShelleyThe Last Man by Mary Shelley is a free e-book.
2. Hollowland (The Hollows, #1) by Amanda HockingHollowland by Amanda Hocking is currently $0.99 as an e-book.

message 2: by Julie (new)

Julie | 379 comments I loved Hollowland!

Right now I'm reading Released (Agents of Evil, #1) by Megan Duncan by Megan Duncan, I'm about halfway done and it's really good so far. It was $.99

message 3: by Michael (last edited Apr 27, 2011 12:53PM) (new)

Michael Poeltl (mikepoeltl) | 10 comments Pick up the first book of The Judas Syndrome trilogy, The Judas Syndrome
for just $2.99 and the second, Rebirth at $4.99 for your kindle or other ereader via smashwords or Amazon or Kobo or Diesel or Apple or Nook

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey good thread idea Andrew!! I'm gonna share some links to free Nookbooks. They aren't always good, but sometimes you luck out :)

Here's a link to all children's books (they usually put YA on this list too, so be on the lookout!):
http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.c...

Here's another list of free Nookbooks:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Free-...

message 5: by Adam (new)

Adam Bender (adambender) | 6 comments Sorry to shamelessly self-promote, but the dystopian novel I wrote is $2.99 on Amazon: We, The Watched by Adam Bender

message 6: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 1221 comments Sorry nuthin! We like having authors share their work here. Thats what we're here for...to read and review ;)

message 7: by Adam (new)

Adam Bender (adambender) | 6 comments Bethany wrote: "Sorry nuthin! We like having authors share their work here. Thats what we're here for...to read and review ;)"

Thanks for making me feel welcome, Bethany! So literally just a minute ago I realized that Smashwords is having a sale this month on most of the books in their collection. The one I mentioned above, We, The Watched is $1.50 this month (50% off) with the code SSW50 at checkout. https://www.smashwords.com/books/view...

There are a lot of other cheap eBooks at Smashwords this month too, so check out the sale here: https://www.smashwords.com/books/cate...

message 8: by Mike (last edited Jul 04, 2011 02:07AM) (new)

Mike Lewis (mikejlewis) | 2 comments I am also participating in the same sale as Adam: I have my YA/Children's post-disaster novel Changers' Summer on special promotion at Smashwords for 25% off (usually $2.99).

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/...

Mike

message 9: by Graciela (new)

Graciela Marez (marez3397) | 76 comments Sudden Independents This one? I love the Hunger Games! I can't wait to read your book. :)

message 10: by Graciela (new)

Graciela Marez (marez3397) | 76 comments No way! Thanks you for for writing it :)

message 11: by Graciela (new)

Graciela Marez (marez3397) | 76 comments Sounds cool! I will be sure to pass it around and comment! :)

message 12: by Bethany (last edited Jul 10, 2011 08:59AM) (new)

Bethany | 1221 comments Ted wrote: "Sudden Independents by Ted Hill

This should be the proper link. I'm new."

That does sound really good Ted! I will add it to my TBR list. Thanks for sharing :)

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

This may illustrate my complete and utter illiteracy regarding this new-fangled "electronic books" I have been hearing, but......

....isn't Amazons' policy that a book has to be published at a minimum price of $2.99? How are some books available for $.99?

message 14: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (Panda62897) | 16 comments Bethany wrote: "Ted wrote: "Sudden Independents by Ted Hill

This should be the proper link. I'm new."

That does sound really good Ted! I will add it to my TBR list. Thanks for sharing :)"

I agree, sounds like a good read! Just bought it from B&N for my Nook Color. Can't wait to read it :)

message 15: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Young (SamYoung) | 1 comments Hey guys, you should check out Edenby Keary Taylor. It's pretty awesome and there's plenty of book here for your money - $2.99 :-)

message 16: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 1221 comments Samantha wrote: "Hey guys, you should check out Edenby Keary Taylor. It's pretty awesome and there's plenty of book here for your money - $2.99 :-)"

Eden is awesome! Definitely one to buy :)

message 17: by Graciela (new)

Graciela Marez (marez3397) | 76 comments Larry wrote: "This may illustrate my complete and utter illiteracy regarding this new-fangled "electronic books" I have been hearing, but......

....isn't Amazons' policy that a book has to be published at a m..."

Hey Larry! I don't know about everyone else.... but my NookColor is linked to the Barnes & Noble online store which offers lots of cheap and FREE books :)

message 18: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 1221 comments Graciela wrote: "Larry wrote: "This may illustrate my complete and utter illiteracy regarding this new-fangled "electronic books" I have been hearing, but......

....isn't Amazons' policy that a book has to be publ..."

Yep, my nookcolor does that as well. I am constantly cruisin the steals and deals ;)

message 19: by Graciela (new)

Graciela Marez (marez3397) | 76 comments Hahaha ME TOO!

message 20: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 1221 comments Sometimes I find one that looks really crappy and I go read the customer reviews and get a good laugh.

message 21: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 1221 comments Hey, I just bought Solstice by P.J. Hoover for my nook. It's 99cents right now for a 'limited time'.

message 22: by David P (new)

David P Forsyth (DaidPForsyth) | 24 comments Check out http://digitalbooktoday.com/ for listings of the top 100 free eBooks every day.

A $2.99 eBook that has been given 5 stars by 2 other members of this group is Voyage of the Dead
Voyage of the Dead by David P. Forsyth

message 23: by Jess (new)

Jess Petosa | 4 comments Hi, my name is Jess and my debut novel Exceptional released last Friday. It is only available for Kindle right now but will be available through other sources starting in April.

It is $2.99 but will be FREE for three days starting tomorrow.

It is a YA sci-fi/dystopian novel.

message 24: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 1221 comments I just read a really good series. It could be written a little better, but the storyline is so good and the books are really exciting. There are four books in the series. I haven't read the last one yet, but I will soon. For me, this series just got better and better the farther in I went. Check them out!!!

Reckless Magic (Star-Crossed, #1) by Rachel Higginson Hopeless Magic (Star-Crossed #2) by Rachel Higginson Fearless Magic (Star-Crossed #3) by Rachel Higginson Endless Magic (Star-Crossed #4) by Rachel Higginson

message 25: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 1221 comments Jess wrote: "Hi, my name is Jess and my debut novel Exceptional released last Friday. It is only available for Kindle right now but will be available through other sources starting in April.

It is $2.99 but wi..."

Your book sound seriously awesome!! I can't wait to read it. I'm making myself a note right now to go buy it in the morning :D Thanks for sharing!

message 26: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (Amonika) Bethany wrote: "I just read a really good series. It could be written a little better, but the storyline is so good and the books are really exciting. There are four books in the series. I haven't read the last on..."

That was an amazingly good series. I loved it and it was really cheap. I do agree with the writing, but overall it was a good series.

Jess, thanks for the heads up. I'm going to go get it. It sounds really good.

message 27: by Julie (new)

Julie | 379 comments I really enjoyed Fast-Tracked (Fast-Track Trilogy, #1) by Tracy Rozzlynn, it's $2.99 for Kindle and definitely worth the money!

message 28: by Julie (new)

Julie | 379 comments I just was looking on amazon (incredibly boring day at work) and saw Eden by Keary Taylor is now 99 cents and there is also ARENA ONE SLAVERUNNERS (The Survival Trilogy, #1) by Morgan Rice, and The Burn by Annie Oldham looks pretty good

message 29: by Jess (new)

Jess Petosa | 4 comments I just started Eden.

Must.not.comment.on.others. It is hard being an author and no longer reviewing books! It just doesn't seem fair.

message 30: by David (new)

David Dawson | 8 comments I highly recommend my young adult dystopian/PA novel. I wrote it because I love the genre and hopefully that translates well.

http://www.amazon.com/Fall-Gods-Slaye...

message 31: by David P (last edited Mar 13, 2012 10:40AM) (new)

David P Forsyth (DaidPForsyth) | 24 comments Voyage of the Dead will be FREE on Thursday, March 15, only at http://www.amazon.com/Voyage-Dead-Sov...

“…Without a doubt one of the better Zombie books… What I liked about the story is the ‘end of the world’ because of Zombies is not a certainty. It is not one or two people trying to stay alive. There are pockets of people with a plan to fight back and to take back the earth. The story makes enough sense that it could be possible. This is a story about people trying to stay alive, not just killing hoards of the walking dead. This reviewer rates the book 4.2 stars.…”
Anthony Wessel reviewer at TheKindleBookReview.com and founder of DigitalBookToday.com.

message 32: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 1221 comments I just got these lovelies for free on kindle...
The Arrival (BirthRight Trilogy, #1) by Nicole MacDonald Blue Fire and Ice (Land’s Tale, #1) by Alan Skinner The Book of Deacon (The Book of Deacon, #1) by Joseph Lallo In the House of Five Dragons by Erica Lindquist Night Marchers by Courtney Nuckels Rook by Cristyn West Shadow of the Sun (Timeless #1) by Laura Kreitzer Shadowbloom by The Sullivan Brothers Unicorn Bait by S.A. Hunter 7 Folds of Winter by Carolyn McCray
I haven't read any yet so I can't say whether they're good or not, but most of them got really good ratings and sound intriguing enough to try out.

message 33: by David P (new)

David P Forsyth (DaidPForsyth) | 24 comments Voyage of the Dead by David P. Forsyth The FREE promotion for Voyage of the Dead went so well that it has been extended for one more day! It's currently at #5 in sci-fi-adventure, #10 in general sci-fi, and #15 in horror. Thanks to everyone who helped make it so popular. The rest of you still have a chance to get it free at http://www.amazon.com/Voyage-Dead-Sov... I hope it floats your boat!

message 34: by Julie (new)

Julie | 379 comments The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness is 99 cents for Kindle right now

message 35: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 1221 comments Julie wrote: "The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness is 99 cents for Kindle right now"

Well, I just bought it...Thanks Julie! That was just slightly sarcastic because I try to avoid that book. Everyone says it's so good, but I've tried to pick it up a couple different times and I never get very far. But I hear you've gotta give it at least 5 chapters before you decide, so I guess now that I own it I have no more excuses :)

message 36: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 31 comments Julie wrote: "The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness is 99 cents for Kindle right now"

I have also been waiting for a reason to read this one and 99 cents was the tipping point. thanks for posting the deal :)

message 37: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (Kiwi365) Bethany wrote: "I just got these lovelies for free on kindle...
The Arrival (BirthRight Trilogy, #1) by Nicole MacDonald Blue Fire and Ice (Land’s Tale, #1) by Alan Skinner The Book of Deacon (The Book of Deacon, #1) by Joseph Lallo [bookcover:In the House of Five Dragon..."

The book of deacon is fantastic!!

message 38: by Julie (new)

Julie | 379 comments Haha, you guys are welcome! :)

message 39: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 1221 comments Lindsay wrote: "Bethany wrote: "I just got these lovelies for free on kindle...
The Arrival (BirthRight Trilogy, #1) by Nicole MacDonald Blue Fire and Ice (Land’s Tale, #1) by Alan Skinner The Book of Deacon (The Book of Deacon, #1) by Joseph Lallo [bookcover:In the Hous..."

I read Unicorn Bait and The Arrival. Both were really good for free ebooks. I'm starting Shadow of the Sun and then I will read book of Deacon. Happy to hear that it's a good one!

Joan (official heroine hater) | 5 comments Susan wrote: "These two sites list free Kindle books daily. I've downloaded over 100 free books so far - I'll probably never find the time to read them all, but I can't pass up free! They're only free for a da..."

God, I wish there was a website listing freebies for the Nook. I've searched before and never found anything. I think Amazon just attracts way more authors with freebies. Sometimes I really hate that I have a Nook.....

message 41: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 1221 comments Me too Joan!!! I'm so glad my husband has a kindle so that I can sync it to my phone :) I hear you, though. Nook kinda blows. I want to sell mine so I can get a Fire, but I don't want to give up all the books that I have on there.

message 42: by David P (new)

David P Forsyth (DaidPForsyth) | 24 comments Voyage of the Dead Introductory First Look [[ASIN:B006MGO9P8 Voyage of the Dead - Introductory First Look (Sovereign Spirit Saga)]] is FREE 3/21 and 3/22. This is the 30,000 word cliffhanging introduction to the Sovereign Spirit Saga. Watch for the release of "Flotilla of the Dead" in less than two weeks!

Review of the full edition: “…Without a doubt one of the better Zombie books… What I liked about the story is the ‘end of the world’ because of Zombies is not a certainty. It is not one or two people trying to stay alive. There are pockets of people with a plan to fight back and to take back the earth. The story makes enough sense that it could be possible. This is a story about people trying to stay alive, not just killing hoards of the walking dead.”
Anthony Wessel reviewer at TheKindleBookReview.com and founder of DigitalBookToday.com

message 43: by Julie (last edited Mar 22, 2012 08:29AM) (new)

Julie | 379 comments I got Grounding Quinn by Stephanie Campbell free for Kindle, thought it was worth a shot

And Girl in the Arena by Lise Haines wasn't bad and it's 99 cents right now

message 44: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 1221 comments Julie wrote: "I got Grounding Quinn by Stephanie Campbell free for Kindle, thought it was worth a shot

And Girl in the Arena by Lise Haines wasn't bad and it's 99 cents right now"

I have Wander Dust (The Seraphina Parrish Trilogy, #1) by Michelle Warren, which i think was free on my nook. But I'm mostly just mentioning it because it's the same cover, which is weird.

And Finnikin of the Rock (Lumatere Chronicles, #1) by Melina Marchetta is only #3.49 on kindle right now :)

message 45: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 1221 comments Also free on kindle today, Prison Nation by Jenni Merritt

Sounded pretty good:)

message 46: by David P (new)

David P Forsyth (DaidPForsyth) | 24 comments Not free, or cheap, but I just saw the premier of the The Hunger Games movie. Not bad, but better if you have read the book first.

PS: Last night we watched Battle Royale which is an older and much more gory Japanese story with a similar theme (a class of 9th graders fight to the death). Check it out.

message 47: by Julie (new)

Julie | 379 comments Bethany wrote: "Julie wrote: "I got Grounding Quinn by Stephanie Campbell free for Kindle, thought it was worth a shot

And Girl in the Arena by Lise Haines wasn't bad and it's 99 cents right now"

I have [bo..."

That is really weird about the covers, I was thinking that I had seen that cover before.

I keep debating about Finnikin of the Rock...

message 48: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (Kiwi365) Bethany wrote: "Lindsay wrote: "Bethany wrote: "I just got these lovelies for free on kindle...
The Arrival (BirthRight Trilogy, #1) by Nicole MacDonald Blue Fire and Ice (Land’s Tale, #1) by Alan Skinner The Book of Deacon (The Book of Deacon, #1) by Joseph Lallo [bookc..."

Be aware that The Book of Deacon will make you go and buy the 2nd and 3rd books! lol. they are cheap though.

message 49: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 1221 comments Julie wrote: "Bethany wrote: "Julie wrote: "I got Grounding Quinn by Stephanie Campbell free for Kindle, thought it was worth a shot

And Girl in the Arena by Lise Haines wasn't bad and it's 99 cents right ..."

Julie, you'll love it! It is my all time favorite book! Seriously, you should read it! you won't be sorry and it's worth way more than 4 dollars!!!

message 50: by Julie (new)

Julie | 379 comments I just got Prison Nation by Jenni Merritt for free, oh and I got 101 Things to Do with Canned Biscuits 101 Things to Do with Canned Biscuits by Toni Patrick for 99 cents because the Kindle Daily Deal is cookbooks today.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Hollowland (other topics)
The Last Man (other topics)
Released (other topics)
The Judas Syndrome (other topics)
Rebirth (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley (other topics)
Amanda Hocking (other topics)
J.L. Bryan (other topics)
Hugh Howey (other topics)