The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > How did you like the new Doctor Who show?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6439 comments How did you like the new Doctor Who? I just figured out my cable has it in HD, but only through 'on demand'.

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lapowell) My daughter says that it "just isn't Dr. who any more". My husband says "It's almost too refined now". I'm not a fan, so I can't add anything to that.

message 3: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6439 comments Anything written by Steven Moffat will abound in cleverness.

message 4: by Elie (new)

Elie Harriett | 56 comments It is different. We enjoyed it, but it is different. We kind of like the differences in the direction the show takes every couple of years. Keeps us guessing.

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael (zephyrkey) | 21 comments I'm loving it so far, but I also loved all of last season and the direction Moffat seems to be taking the show in. The Impossible Astronaut seems to be setting us up for an interesting season, and I honestly think that the Silence may shape up to be some of the best villains yet. They are creepy in a way that even the Angels can't match, and I love that they have this Man in Black/classic Martian vibe to them. Also, yay practical effects!

"I'm being extremely clever up here and there is no one to stand around looking impressed. What's the point in having you all?"

message 6: by aldenoneil (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments I have never seen a single episode of Doctor Who.

I'm waiting for the 650 disc blu-ray release.

But seriously, how intertwined are all these series? Is it at all friendly to newcomers?

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

You could easily just jump into the 'new' series that started back in 2005. You don't have to know all the history that came before in order to enjoy the show. I knew only the very, very basic facts when I started with the relaunched series(he's a timelord, he has a blue box called the tardis, there's usually some human companion) and I had no trouble keeping up.

If you want to watch an episode to get a feel for the show, try "Blink"(season 3, episode 10).

message 8: by Michael (last edited Apr 25, 2011 03:57PM) (new)

Michael (zephyrkey) | 21 comments This Doctor Who wiki is a good place to bookmark if you are just starting into the series, tonnes of information on it covering the whole run of the show. I would always suggest starting at the beginning of the current series, but if you just want some background on the current season I'd start by watching the Steven Moffat episodes: The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, Madame de Pompadour, Blink, and whatever you do do not miss Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead - that is where we first meet River. Oh, and all of season 5. That'll give you a feel for where the current season is coming from and give some hints as to where its going ;)

message 9: by Aethelberga (new)

Aethelberga | 35 comments I liked the new ep, and I'm really looking forward to seeing next week, but I didn't love it. There were some good lines, but there were a couple of themes that have been done to death (spooky child, & death of a major character that will be undone by wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimeyness). Go on, Mr Moffatt, prove me wrong.

message 10: by Colin (new)

Colin | 278 comments Neil Gaiman wrote an episode of Dr. Who coming up. episode 4 of this season apparently. "The Doctor's Wife".

message 11: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1728 comments Mod
aldenoneil wrote: "I have never seen a single episode of Doctor Who.

I'm waiting for the 650 disc blu-ray release.

But seriously, how intertwined are all these series? Is it at all friendly to newcomers?"

Me too.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Never, V?

That's...that's blasphemy.

TORCHES AND PITCHFORKS TIME

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2898 comments aldenoneil wrote: "I have never seen a single episode of Doctor Who.

Worse, I tried it and couldn't get into it.

*sighs and hangs up her geek card*... oh well.

message 14: by Colin (new)

Colin | 278 comments I've been watching them since the Yobby Dr. Who from 2005. Each Doc has their own major plot line that goes over maybe 2ish series.

Regarding the new Matt Smith Doctor, it would help to watch his first season before this brand new season. It explains the characters more. I think this applies to each of the three contemporary Doctors.

I have a problem with scarves so the 2005-new series are the only ones i've actually sat down and watched. There are lots of cameos from the past Whos, from aliens to the old Companions, so you might not get the full fanboi/gurl reaction as the old folks would...

David Tenant was the best Doc, while Amy Pond has been the best companion in the new series so far. Matt Smith is okay, but he plays up the batshit zarking mad aspect of a 900 year old time travelling destroyer of worlds a little too much.

message 15: by Anne (new)

Anne Schüßler (anneschuessler) | 845 comments I just watched the latest episode (i.e. the first one of the sixth season) as my very first episode of Doctor Who and I liked it a lot. Of course I can't compare it to any other seasons or the actors to any previous ones, so this is mostly a "I liked it as a first episode of something I have never watched before" feeling.

Reminded me a bit of Warehouse 13, which I love. This is probably close to blasphemy for old fans of the Doctor Who series, but it's actually mostly a statement. Warehouse 13 of all the shows I watch is the closest to being Steampunk, which is a setting that I just adore, and Doctor Who seems to go in the same direction from what little I could gather in 45 minutes (and the preview for the next episode).

I'll probably catch up with the older seasons at some point, but right now I'm still busy gettiing done with all the other shows I watch, so I'll just follow the sixth season as it enfolds and get back to the older stuff when I have more time.

message 16: by Orlando (new)

Orlando Falvo | 20 comments I was lucky enough to watch the original episodes from the end of Patrick Troughton reign as the second Doctor to Mark Smith’s the Eleventh Doctor. Every reincarnation of the Doctor has its followers and detractors. Some of my favorites were Jon Pertwee Tom Baker (my Doctor) Peter Davidson, Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant and Matt Smith. Each had/have their own unique style just as they had/have their own ensemble. This new season seems to be heading in new directions for the Doctor according to Steven Moffat who has said in the news this will be a darker story line and has alluded to the idea that it may be an arc that could run for the entire season.

I really enjoyed the first episode this season. It was awesome but you cannot judge Dr. Who by an individual episode or two, rather you have to judge it by the term of each Doctor or at least by a seasons run. If you judge Dr. Who by one or two episodes you really do not get Dr. Who. So far in my humble opinion Mark has been doing a great job but he will still have to go a bit further to supplant Eccleston and Tennant for this new reincarnation of the Doctor, but there is still plenty of time.

message 17: by Tamahome (last edited Apr 26, 2011 07:49PM) (new)

Tamahome | 6439 comments The stories are pretty self contained. It's not like Lost with 'to be continued' every week. The beginning of a season is a good entry point. Usually there's a new 'companion', and so some things have to be explained to them. Actually, a good start might be the beginning of last season, when the Doctor first met Amy Pond. Usually if the writer is Steven Moffat (he wrote 'Blink'), it's good.

message 18: by Skip (new)

Skip | 517 comments The nice part about Dr. Who is that you can pretty much pick up anywhere in the series and run with it. I like "Blink" as a first taste, because it is at once self contained and quintessentially Dr. Who. Plus I like hearing David Tennant say "wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff". It's a $0.99 rental on iTunes.

It is also nice in that you don't have to deal with older nemeses of the Doctor. That way you don't have to deal with the lore or the bad design - Daleks were designed in 1963, so they had to look good enough for a 15" black and white TV.

message 19: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments "Blink" is the scariest thing I have ever seen. It still haunts my nightmares. I don't think it's really typical of Dr. Who though. It's very dark and gothic. I think the Vincent Van Gogh episode stands alone very well and really brings out some of the bittersweet nature of time travel.

message 20: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6439 comments Another favorite is the "The Empty Child" with the kid in the gasmask ("Are you my mummy?"). A favorite halloween costume.

message 21: by J (new)

J (mxyzptlk) | 20 comments One problem for me took me out of the story: Bright, halogen X-Files-type flashlights in 1969. I have one of those flashlights in my closet, and barring any timey-wimey wibblewumps, I'm betting Nixon's minions did not have access to any 21st century manual lighting technology. I mean, Nixon's administration couldn't even encrypt their data properly...

I get that those lights look great on screen, but I immediately thought their lights should have been dimmer, shorter, more yellow and kinda greasy, and that would have made it more far more spooky.

message 22: by Dennis (new)

Dennis | 90 comments I was assuming that they brought the flashlights with them.

I have to say, the monsters in this episode are perhaps the scariest Doctor Who monsters I've ever encountered; scarier even than the angels from Blink. The idea that you forget them the moment you stop looking at them is terrifying. They should crossbreed with the Angels.

message 23: by Philip (new)

Philip (heard03) | 383 comments I just became a fan last year(if you don't count a vague memory of Tom Baker on PBS as a child) and have almost finished catching up with the post 2005 series. I found Eccleston's Doctor very unlikable, I completed Season 1 for background and show mythology. Tennant I like a lot, and Matt Smith is by far my favorite.

As far as jumping in, last season is a pretty good place. Also, BBC America will show primers from time to time. Last year Doctor Who: The Ultimate Guide came on, also the recap of last season(has spoilers) was shown. Doctor Who in America is coming on also.

BBC America is great at showing re-runs. They will show a couple of episodes of Doctor Who a day usually and work their way through an entire season sequentially. Set your DVR to record all episodes and dive in.

The Impossible Astronaut blew me away, and fortunately I hadn't heard (view spoiler) and it was a proper shock.

Doctor Who is edgy at times, but still a show that the whole family can watch together. My wife and 6 year old love it as well. At any given moment you can catch my son dressed in a suit and tie running around with one of his sonic screwdrivers(he also has a fez and a mop). I'm the proud parent of a budding geek.

message 24: by Skip (new)

Skip | 517 comments Sandi wrote: ""Blink" is the scariest thing I have ever seen. It still haunts my nightmares. I don't think it's really typical of Dr. Who though."

Though you may not consider many of the early Dr. Who episodes scary today, they were definitely scary to kids at the time they aired. Dr. Who was conceived as "children's programming" and the joke I've heard multiple times is that most kids met their first doctor from behind the safety of their couch. I was one of those kids back in the 70s.

message 25: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments I watched it when I was a kid in the late Sixties/early Seventies. The Doctor I remember best was the tall, gray-haired on and the one with the dark hair right after him. (Tom Baker and Jon Pertwee?) It never scared me, and I wanted to travel with the Doctor even then.

message 26: by Philip (new)

Philip (heard03) | 383 comments Neil Gaiman's episode from last night was amazing. Totally lived up to expectations, perhaps exceeded them.

message 27: by Kate (new)

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments Last night's episode was the first one I've ever watched all the way through without being drunk or falling asleep. I was impressed.

message 28: by Craig (new)

Craig | 53 comments My son (12) and I have been enjoying this together since the 2005 reboot. We have been downloading through iTunes which is great for having it to watch while traveling. The last 5 seasons (Eccleston through Smith -year 1) are available on Netflix now. So, if you have Netflix, then just start with the episode "Rose" and work your way through. They also have several of the older series if you want to step back in time :-)

message 29: by Michael (new)

Michael (zephyrkey) | 21 comments Philip wrote: "Neil Gaiman's episode from last night was amazing. Totally lived up to expectations, perhaps exceeded them."

I was so excited for this episode that I actually went out of my way to avoid spoilers for it. No preview videos, no interviews, no nothing.

And it was epic.

message 30: by Lee (new)

Lee | 43 comments zephyrkey wrote: "Philip wrote: "Neil Gaiman's episode from last night was amazing. Totally lived up to expectations, perhaps exceeded them."

I was so excited for this episode that I actually went ..."

Yeah definitely one of the very best of the new run. I think Suranne Jones just reinvented her career.

message 31: by Brandon (new)

Brandon | 178 comments I have been watching Doctor Who since the 2005 reboot with only the vaguest idea about anything prior and I love it.

I have to agree that last nights episode was amazing, it it certainly one of my all time favorites. I loved how they played with Amy and Rory in the tardis and "sexy" was very well done.

message 32: by Tamahome (last edited May 17, 2011 08:04PM) (new)

Tamahome | 6439 comments Waitaminute. I thought the pirate one was written by Neil Gaiman. It says it's by Steve Thompson ('The Curse of the Black Spot'). I'm watching On Demand in HD.

EDIT:
Ohhh, it's next week. "The Doctor's Wife"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_W...

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Why are you a week in the past?

message 34: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6439 comments In America?

message 35: by Kidsake (new)

Kidsake | 7 comments Matt Smith should win an award for his response to the 'sexy' comment. =]

message 36: by Tim (new)

Tim (zerogain) | 93 comments Ala wrote: "Why are you a week in the past?"

b/c Tamahome hitched a ride on the TARDIS?

message 37: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2550 comments Tim wrote: "Ala wrote: "Why are you a week in the past?"

b/c Tamahome hitched a ride on the TARDIS?"

Me too, in fact I just watched the season finale of the 2013 season and it was great! :)

message 38: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6439 comments Tim wrote: "Ala wrote: "Why are you a week in the past?"

b/c Tamahome hitched a ride on the TARDIS?"

-Like-

message 39: by Colin (new)

Colin | 278 comments TARDIS was sexy, in a bat-shit-crazy-Neverwhere sort of way.

message 40: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6439 comments Oh I see. It's not in the On Demand HD section yet. Wierd. I'll have to record the Gaiman episode in SD tomorrow at 8.

message 41: by Julia (new)

Julia C | 2 comments I am way behind, being in America. But after a few episodes of the newest doctor, he has begun to remind me of Captain Jack Sparrow. Am I the only one?

message 42: by Anne (new)

Anne Schüßler (anneschuessler) | 845 comments I found this timeline for the new 2005 Doctor Who. It's a bit overwhelming but I like it:

http://static03.mediaite.com/themarys...

message 43: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6439 comments Just watched the Gaiman dr who. Very nice.

message 44: by Philip (new)

Philip (heard03) | 383 comments Tamahome wrote: "Just watched the Gaiman dr who. Very nice."

Does your cable provider not broadcast the episodes the same day as in the UK? I have Dish Network and they have BBC America in SD and HD and Dr Who broadcasts the same day as in the old country. Waiting a week would be below average, but at least you could listen to The Oodcast right away instead of waiting a few days for it to post.

Does anyone else listen to any of the Doctor Who podcasts? Which ones?

message 45: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6439 comments I only watch it in HD on demand. For some reason it took longer to get there.

message 46: by Jim (new)

Jim (kskryptonian) | 202 comments BBC America doesn't broadcast in HD, but they do on demand HD.

I think it's funny to see this thread as I've been a fan since birth. The show has been changing and evolving over the past 40 years. People who claim that Tennant is the best make me smile as I was saying "Why did they get rid of McGann?" in 2005.

message 47: by Philip (new)

Philip (heard03) | 383 comments Jim Garrison wrote: "BBC America doesn't broadcast in HD, but they do on demand HD."

They do on Dish Network. The Rebel Flesh broadcast live in HD on BBC America at 8pm Central on Sat 05/21.

Dish Network is very underrated. It's UI blows away Direct TV and Comcast. AT&T UVerse is the one I haven't been able to compare it to yet.

message 48: by Jim (new)

Jim (kskryptonian) | 202 comments Philip wrote: "Jim Garrison wrote: "BBC America doesn't broadcast in HD, but they do on demand HD."

They do on Dish Network. The Rebel Flesh broadcast live in HD on BBC America at 8pm Central on Sat 05/21.

Dish..."

Cool, I was unaware of that!

message 49: by Skip (new)

Skip | 517 comments I re-watched the first of the new seasons and really enjoyed it. Where David Tennant channels the trickster Doctor, Chris Eccleston makes you feel that his doctor is running to avoid having to stop and think, that his travels are all that maintains his sanity.

I also love his explanation about why so many aliens in the future look human. Somewhere out there, Jim Kirk is smiling.

There is also Rose's mother's quip (about Tennant) "What else has he got two of?"

message 50: by Visible (new)

Visible Procrastinations | 11 comments Philip wrote: "Does anyone else listen to any of the Doctor Who podcasts? Which ones?"

In the Land Down Under, we do get the episode a week after the UK so we need to be careful to avoid spoilers. For another podcast to listen to along side the Ood Cast you might want to try out The DWO WhoCast.
cheers :)

« previous 1