Axis Mundi X discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Closed for the Winter > McCain&Palin

Comments Showing 1-50 of 441 (441 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Servius  Heiner  | 1980 comments Mod
I am pretty stoked about this. I think Palin is everything McCain is not. I know she has always been on the short list but nobody ever really took the possibility seriously. I think this has massive potential to solidify the Republican Party, and energize the republican base.

Now that it has happened I don’t think there was really any other choice. She has made a name for herself, as being a true agent of change, and a ball buster to corrupted officials.

I can foresee allot of behind the scenes politicking to try and derail her, Washington is shacking in their boots right now and if they are not then they should be.

I do have two problems:

1) This leave Alaska to the hands of the few remaining corrupt officials
2) Palin is Pro-Life. I am pro-choice.

message 2: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony I'm going to wait a couple days before I comment on this. Too new.

message 3: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) Nick, hopefully she will take on the corruption in Washington like she did Alaska (in as much as her powers as VP would allow). And you are spot-on in your assessment, because I (a pretty staunch conservative) am finally excited about this election. She really does make up for a lot of the things I dislike about McCain.

message 4: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 1818 comments Mod
I am happily surprised McCain chose a woman for his running mate. I don't know enough about her yet to have any further opinion.
KD, you have my permission the word "stoked" as much and as often as you desire.

message 5: by Lori (new)

Lori I hereby revoke my nomination of Nick running for public office.

Lori, I told you you spoke out of turn ;)

Koe: 3) the oogy social agenda>>

I don't understand what you mean Koe.

Palin Speaks to Newsmax About McCain, Abortion, Climate Change

Friday, August 29, 2008 10:40 AM

By: Mike Coppock
Article Font Size

(Sarah Palin has emerged as John McCain's vice-presidential running mate. Palin talked to Newsmax magazine for its upcoming September 2008 issue about Alaskan oil, global warming, and John McCain.)

Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin is a God-fearing, gun-toting former beauty queen who could just become America’s next vice president.

In Alaska, the right to bear arms means staying on top of the food chain. Palin, a lifelong member of the National Rifle Association, hunts, shoots, and fishes.

Husband Todd holds a commercial fishing license for salmon. In the mid-1990s, when Todd got a job working on Alaska’s North Slope, Palin decided to occupy herself by becoming mayor of Wasilla, the state's fastest-growing community.

As mayor, she gradually grew frustrated with Alaska’s “good ol’ boy” style of governance -- so she decided to do something about it. She ran for governor in 2006 and won, defeating popular former Democratic Gov. Tony Knowles.

Palin’s victory made her Alaska's first female chief executive, and its youngest.

Now, many insiders believe this 44-year-old mother of five would add a strong conservative presence to the GOP ticket.

Palin tells Newsmax that it’s high time Congress allows the development of Alaska’s wealth of oil and gas. She doubts global warming stems from human activity, and she considers herself both a fiscal and social conservative.

Are you open to running as McCain’s vice president?

Palin: I have so much on my plate as governor, it’s hard to even imagine such an offer. I would just have to cross that bridge when it comes.

What do you think of McCain’s chances, and what should he and the GOP do to win in November?

I believe John McCain will be our next president. To win, he needs to continue his message that America needs leadership devoted to the public interest -- not the special interest. The GOP needs to live the planks of its platform, not just offer lip service.

How did you pull off your election victory as governor?

Alaska was ready for a positive change and tired of the good ol’ boy network. It caused many Alaskans to lose faith in their government. People want faith in their government. I have been able to pass a comprehensive reform law and place the state's checkbook online. You can be a reformer and also be a conservative.

And your stand on abortion?

I'm pro-life. I'll do all I can to see every baby is created with a future and potential. The legislature should do all it can to protect human life.

Politically, how would you describe yourself?

Fiscally and socially, I am a conservative. My respect for the three different branches of government and the balance between them has been my guide.

If you were running for president, what causes would you champion?

I would push for a strong military and a sound energy policy. I believe that Alaska can help set an example on energy policy.

Speaking of energy, how much oil and gas does America really have?

We have billions and billions of barrels of oil and trillions of feet of natural gas. We have so much potential from tapping our resources here in Alaska. And we can do this with minimum environmental impact. We have a very pro-development president in President Bush, and yet he failed to push for opening up parts of Alaska to drilling through Congress -- and a Republican-controlled Congress, I might add.

I thought when we hit $100 a barrel for oil it would have been a psychological barrier that would have caused Congress to reconsider, but they didn't. Now we are approaching $200 a barrel. It's nonsense not to tap a safe domestic source of oil. I think Americans need to hold Congress accountable on this one.

What is your take on global warming and how is it affecting our country?

A changing environment will affect Alaska more than any other state, because of our location. I'm not one though who would attribute it to being man-made.

message 9: by Rusty (last edited Aug 29, 2008 01:41PM) (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) Okay, this is one of my pet peeves. If Palin is anti-CHOICE, does that make Biden anti-LIFE?

message 10: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) | 3620 comments Mod
Rusty... saying that someone who believes abortion is a woman's individual choice is "anti-life" is just ridiculous. It is correctly labeled as "Pro-Choice". I may personally not believe in abortion for myself, but I absolutely do not think that it's the right of the government to tell me what can and cannot go on inside someone's body.

Saying that someone who wants to impose their own religious morality on another person regardless of that person's situation is "pro-life", when usually they are pro-Capital Punishment and pro-War as well, is not only misleading, it's delusional. They are, in fact, anti-Choice.

message 11: by Servius Heiner (last edited Aug 29, 2008 04:00PM) (new)

I agree with you on many point koe. Like I said her stance in the Pro-life/choice fight is a negative with me. But I believe with the dynamics of our current legislator that will not be a major issue. I see Gov. Palin more as a catalyst for cleaning up Washington, bloodying noise when needed and pretty much just getting some forward progress. McCain steps across party lines to do business and so does Palin. If you are honest you are her friend. If you are a crook on the other hand, you have a future being another landscape fixture in Alaska. The Alaskan landscape is riddled with corrupt political types that tried to "pull one over on her. She is pretty ruthless when it comes to dealing with them.

message 12: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) Koe #14, I understand your argument, but many would also argue that being pro-abortion is, in fact, anti-life, but what I'm getting at, is the fact that "anti-choice" is equally as disrespectful and baiting as the term "anti-life".

message 13: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) | 3620 comments Mod
Rusty, saying someone is "anti-choice" is not disrespectful. It is accurate. Please explain to me how that is NOT accurate.

message 14: by Beth A (last edited Aug 29, 2008 07:18PM) (new)

Beth A | 38 comments Not stoked, sickened by McCain's "choice" of a woman as a last ditch effort to win.

p.s. I'm alright with Palin on many issues, but I think it was a classic GOP move to wait 'til now to announce this.

message 15: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) Koe, that's fine, I'm done. I'm out of steam, and it's not a hill I'm willing to die on. It was just a shitty day, and that was just one more thing. I've been called worse before, and I will be again. Probably soon.

message 16: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) ::Accepts virtual hand, then pulls into virtual (platonic) hug, steals wallet::

Thanks, Bunny. What are you gonna do, right?

message 17: by Beth A (new)

Beth A | 38 comments Sheila, perhaps I should say that on any given day I am stoked about something.

Today, it was peaches, not McCain's VP move. I am an activist for Democrats on the local and national level, and I think all this is just getting to me in a bad way, I'm becoming cynical again, all of the maneuvering...I'm no chess player.

I'm gonna go smoke a stogey, play cornhole, and have another peach!

And whoever wins, I just hope they clean up this fucking shit Bush crapped on us all.

b~

message 18: by Rusty (last edited Aug 29, 2008 10:56PM) (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) KD,

Cornhole is an ancient game that was invented by Ptolemy. It combines many elements of Backgammon, Parcheesi, Russian Roulette and Strip Poker. Currently, it is played principally in the Northwestern United States and parts of British Columbia, but has recently achieved a cult popularity in Papua New Guinea. It is often played for days at a time, and among its notable enthusiasts is Corey Feldman, who is a member of an ametuer league in his hometown.

Hope that helps.

message 19: by Beth A (last edited Aug 29, 2008 10:11PM) (new)

Beth A | 38 comments I will if you send a bit of sashimi and sushi!

Cornhole is essentially beanbags filled with corn and tossed (ideally) into one single hole in a board. It's either in, or it's out! Indigenous to Ohio...King D., and yes, it is a provocative and ridiculous title, yet fitting. It is also all of the things that Rusty said.

message 20: by Beth A (new)

Beth A | 38 comments Peach on the way via cute UPS man, Sheila. I'll send two, share one with him on the front porch and talk politics!

b~

message 21: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Cornhole is HUGE in Wisconsin and Illinois. I'm not kidding when I say there are literally hundreds of cornhole setups in the parking lots where people tailgate at Brewers games.

P.S. I suck at cornhole.

message 22: by Beth A (new)

Beth A | 38 comments I believe you, it is around here as well, RA. Maybe you are a chess man!

I think people are getting wrapped up in semantics with Palin. Or perhaps it is the distorted facts.

Example:

CNN insists Sarah Palin is “Anti-gay” It has been running along their ticker all day yesterday. The truth is she anti gay marriage, but believes everyone deserves the protection of law, so she signed a civil union law.

Is that anti-gay?

Something else I think they are trying to pull is the story that she is under investigation for an “ethics” violation.

The back story is this: Her sister married an Alaska State trooper. Said trooper ended up beating Sarah Plain’s sister. The sister left the state trooper. Palin found out about this and told the Public safety commissioner to fire the trooper. He refused. A few months later a deadline came up. The commissioner was suppose to increase the number of Alaska State troopers by a 3rd. he failed to do this, Palin fired him. Now it is a BIG deal.

My take on this:

Even if she fired the Commissioner for not firing the trooper so what! Do you want an abusive person walking around with a gun and an authority over you? I don’t. Law enforcement needs to be held to a higher standard. He should have been fired.

And the commish: He failed to accomplish what he was supposed to do. He also made some other decisions that didn’t go over well with the troopers themselves, he was a bad commissioner so….?

And finally I don’t agree with Pro-Life fight. It is a choice that is nobody business but those involved. I do believe there should be restrictions on Abortions…it is not a form of birth control; I don’t think late term abortions are acceptable unless the mother is in serious danger.

message 24: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Beth, I suck at chess, too. But nobody plays chess in baseball parking lots. So I'm ok.

message 25: by Beth A (new)

Beth A | 38 comments RA, I'm good at games where you throw things and hit a target. I don't think that would go over well with the chess set, but it does with the baseball fans. So, then, maybe you just like to eat and drink at the tailgate parties, which is the best part anyway.

I am really disappointed by the reaction of Palins naming as VP pick. The excuses I’m hearing for bashing her are truly ridiculous. If you don’t like her that is fine, don’t vote for McCain. I have come across several posts by people that up until today I have seen as different but smart and fair. I don’t know if I have those same feelings anymore.

Palin and the trooper: She is being investigated for firing a crooked commissioner for not firing a state trooper who tazered his step son beat his wife along with a long list of other charges. The state put forward $100,000 to INVESTIGATE! 100K is nothing to a municipality, it is nothing more then a gesture to try and chip away her in-state support (and now her nation wide credibility). Do you want that State Trooper patrolling your street? She did the right thing. Who that crooked cop was married to doesn’t mean anything. If she hadn’t demanded for the termination then we would be hearing about how she allowed that trooper to continue being a trooper, because he was Palin’s brother in law. Wake up.

Her daughter and the baby; or if you are really crazy her baby.

This is another topic that has nothing to do with her public life. I can not even begin to fathom how people I have begun to appreciate and respect can tout this as being a disqualifying trait. Her daughter did something that I’m sure she didn’t approve of. How many of you are parents? How many of your teenage children do what they want when they want to regardless of what you say.

The Palin Baby Factory:
So she is a mother of 5. Big deal, is the party of equal opportunity and affirmative action trying to say that she should stay in the kitchen barefoot and pregnant? She has a perfectly healthy and able husband that can care for their children. But that’s right; I am the misogynistic sexist fuck.

Palin is Anti GAY!
Wrong Sarah Palin Does not support gay marriage. She does however support the right to protection and privileges just like everyone else. She put into effect policies in the state of Alaska to extend benefits to same sex state workers… Yep that seems pretty Anti-Gay to me. Just because she doesn’t want to “call” it marriage. Sorry there are people that take their religion seriously and it is offensive to them. So call it whatever you want in your house but compromise on paper so you all can have the freedom and protection under law.

one last thing before I run out of breath… It is completely out of line what the Left smear machine has done to the Palin’s in general, But really against Sarah Palin herself; not even a week and there are 1000’s of doctored photos staring Sarah Palin bearing little or all, toting a gun, wearing some racist/offensive t-shirt, or a fuck me skirt.

And here are my smart reasonable and fair friends; joining in or not waving the bull shit flag, it’s the same thing really.

You know in-between elections everyone goes on about how shitty all of our elected officials are. And when an honest person comes along, they get jumped on and rapped 20 ways to Sunday. Then everyone bitches about how congress is full of crooks… no shit, you have to be a crook to make it through a campaign. Perhaps I am taking this a little too personal but that is because I KNOW the Palin’s. I work with her husband. I don’t always agree with them but they are honest good people. I know what this filth is doing to them, and it makes me sick. They are selfless when it comes to taking care of the community. And Sarah is Pro-Life, and she will try and turn people over to her belief, but I can not see her Forcing Pro-Life Legislation on anyone. That would be a pretty tough cookie to sell to a left congress and house anyway wouldn’t it?

Donna, I understand BO has spoken out against this behavior. But I am not speaking about BO and the public campaign. I am speaking of people in this very group doing exactly what they often burn members (such as Varmint) for doing. I know everyone is a little hypocritical from time to time. But the flat out lies, and twisted stories. All of it goes unchallenged. Not a peep. It is even encouraged in some groups.

That is what I am talking about, and yes I am hurt by it because it feels to me that I have constructed an opinion of some of you that has turned out to be false. This really bothers me because I am usually a great judge of ones character.

I guess even a broken clock is right 2 times a day.

message 28: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell I agree, Nick. I don't care at all about Palin's daughter, but as I stated previously, I'm pretty jaded.

My big reservation about her (other than lack of experience and her conservative views) is that can she be both the mother of a special needs baby and a (possible) President at the same time? And yes I would have the same reservation if she were a man.

message 29: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) Nick, I haven't seen it much in this group. Have I seen it in other groups? You bet your ass. But I really don't expect much from the people I've heard it from, so I don't care.

message 30: by Lori (new)

Lori I tend to ignore both sides who just flame and sneer. Don't even read their posts.

But Palin makes me very nervous. And she wanted to ban books!

Stein says that as mayor, Palin continued to inject religious beliefs into her policy at times. "She asked the library how she could go about banning books," he says, because some voters thought they had inappropriate language in them. "The librarian was aghast." That woman, Mary Ellen Baker, couldn't be reached for comment, but news reports from the time show that Palin had threatened to fire Baker for not giving "full support" to the mayor.

I don't care how nice someone is, Nick, if I disagree with their politics to the extent I disagree with hers, I get very upset when this is potentially a future President. I don't agree with her beliefs either, and from what I've read she seems like she has an agenda to impose.

message 31: by Lori (new)

Lori Let me try to dig up the link, it's from Time. Stein is the previous Mayor, so I have no doubt that he does have a grudge. However the reports from that time sounds like it was dug up by Time.

message 33: by Lori (new)

Lori Yes Bunny, that was exactly what shocked me as well. Pretty small time. And remember, Alaska has a very small population as well.

message 34: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (last edited Sep 02, 2008 09:54PM) (new)

I am not liking what I'm hearing about Ms. Palin. Here are four issues about which I am in disagreement with her, with citations:

1. She thinks the jury is still out on whether human activity has an affect on global warming.
2. She supports oil drilling in ecologically senstive areas.
The Washington Post "Palin Not Convinced on Global Warming"

3. Palin is fighting against having polar bears listed as threatened, because that would hurt oil drilling interests in Alaska.
The Times "Protecting polar bears gets in way of drilling for oil, says governor"

4. When she was serving as mayor of Wasilla, she asked the library how she could go about banning books.
Time Magazine "Mayor Palin: A Rough Record"

message 35: by Lori (last edited Sep 02, 2008 10:17PM) (new)

Lori I knew I didn't like McCain. His favorite writer is Hemmingway. *gag*

Jackie, I had posted that article right before you! I knew that would really bug you, of all people. I wonder if Huck Finn's use of nigger was one of her objections, or if she kept it all to religious items.

She also wants to teach creationism in the public schools.

Newsweek has a big article on her. It appears this Wooten mess is a very big deal in Alaska. He's the ex-b-il that she wanted fired, they are investigating whether she pressed this because of a very messy divorce with her sister and because he tasered her stepson. He claims that the kid (10) asked to be tasered to see how it felt.

Her Dad is now a professional varmint hunter who has a bumper sticker on his car that reads: Vegetarian - old Indian name for bad hunter. Yeesh! OK I personally hate hunting, but if you hunt (legally) and eat all you hunt I'm not going to judge. But he's sure judging!

Plus while she was driving the reporter around, she was busy yakking AND tapping into 2 blackberries! Jeez, I hope she's not driving around me!

Lastly (for now) she is totally against abortion even in the case of rape and incest.

message 36: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

Thanks, Lori! I did see that, and was so distracted by the library issue I forgot to thank you for posting the article.

I hope voters read what Palin's positions on issues are, and not vote for her just because she's a woman, which is reverse sexism.

message 37: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Her Dad is now a professional varmint hunter

Not our Varmint. Just to be clear.

:)

message 38: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (last edited Sep 02, 2008 10:41PM) (new)

You're up late, P! Is everything okay?

message 39: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Jacks! I slept for four hours already...then my sinuses went nuts. I'm ok, thanks. Tuesdays are my insanely long day, plus it was the kids'/wife's first day of school, which went well, but I'm still recovering...hope you're doing ok. I imagine the library is different after school starts.

message 40: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (last edited Sep 02, 2008 10:56PM) (new)

School starts tomorrow here, and tonight I had my teen book group, RA. It always takes me a while to wind down after one of those. Sorry to hear about your sinuses. It does make it hard to sleep when you can't breathe!

At the group this time, the kids were a bit lackluster, thinking about school tomorrow. They hadn't even read the book, A Wizard of Earthsea! Well, one boy had read it several years ago, and another girl had read it and been confused about it.

However, the book was imposed upon the group, as Le Guin is coming to Olympia in October, so I didn't blame them much. I sent them out to find books they had read to share with the group.

They still had plenty of enthusiasm for the brownies! And they loved the books I picked out for them to choose from. They decided they wanted to read The Book Thief by Markus Zusak next. They liked the idea of it being narrated by Death. :D

message 41: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Ha, you have a love a teen book group when no one's read the group...at least they showed up...you're a trooper, Jacks...

I heard Neil Gaiman wrote a great introduction to the new edition of Thurber's Thirteen Clocks...I want to check this out, I've never read it.

http://www.amazon.com/13-Clocks-James...

message 42: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

THAT looks cool, RA! I am adding The Thirteen Clocks to my alarmingly fast growing To-Read list right now!

message 43: by Lori (new)

Lori There's a boy in your reading group!

message 44: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony The boy probably knows all the girls go to reading group...heh.

I teach an intro to education course on Tuesday afternoons populated by about fifteen cute twenty year olds and two guys. I imagine those two guys are high-fiving each other in the hallway every day before class...

message 45: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

There were 3 guys, and 4 girls tonight, Lori. Sometimes there's 4 guys, and 8 girls, but it's the night before school starts, so it was a smaller group than usual.
The guy who had read the book, many years ago, is an incredible reader by the name of Reazen. He's really into the Terry Pratchett books right now, and David Eddings, but he mentioned he'd read The Catcher in the Rye over the summer. Yeah, he's every librarian's dream.

message 46: by Lori (new)

Lori RA - ahahahah you are probably so right!

Jackie, you are such a great librarian for having a teen group. My library doesn't have one. *shakes head* I've urged David Eddings (and recently Pratchett) on Jake, but because I highly recommended them, Jake immediately turned it down. He claims he read the first pages and "it sucked". But I just brought Feed home, and lo! Here's a writer who knows how to bring the boys. The first sentence is something like I went to the moon today to party, but it sucked. Jake is VERY interested now. Heh.

Annnnd, this should go in our YA thread, oops. Back to Palin, I'm sure she'd ban Feed because in the very next sentence there's the shit word!

message 47: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony I think my kids entertain the librarians. I used to feel badly that my kids asked the librarians so many questions but I think the librarians get bored back there and like it when my kids say things like "I can't find any cool books on how to build a castle. What should I do?"

message 48: by Rusty (last edited Sep 03, 2008 05:03AM) (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) So.....if I'm reading this correctly, many of you are amazed and appalled by a conservative who holds conservative viewpoints, i.e. global warming and abortion? I don't really get that.

Do you want me to list all of Obama's viewpoints I don't agree with? I don't think you have that kind of time.

And why not teach creationism? We can't have kids hearing opposing ideas in school? Just evolution and that's it? As though that were the only theory ever developed?

message 49: by Cyril (new)

Cyril I just find it interesting that the attention in the media, even in the liberal Huffington Post, is centered almost entirely on Palin/McCain now; it's hard to find any mention of Obama/Biden.

This is the kind of conversation I expected to see 5 days ago. Attacking the issue, not the person. You don’t like her views good stick to that. But she has withstood some of the vilest forms of attack. No conversation, just attack after attack. Very little substance and almost nothing about her policies, almost everything I have heard is about her kids, or her husbands DUI 20 years ago… Eh ok so what, BO snorted coke, has admitted as much. That was then this is now. All these attacks stink of fear. I say fear because fear makes reasonable people act un-reasonable. Sorry; I just held a higher opinion of most of you then this. This has been a cold wet fish to the face.

I will say I have never heard anything about Sarah wanting to ban books. That is unsettling. I’m having IT problems today; hopefully I’ll be able to read the article soon.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.