Breaking Dawn (The Twilight Saga, #4) Breaking Dawn discussion

Bella's Control...

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carolyn (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:36AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Carolyn The parts that made me think “what???” were every time the Cullens declared how impressed (and confused) they were with Bella’s control once she was changed. I completely understand why they would have these reactions initially – every other newborn they encountered, or perhaps were, was out of control and likely had an unquenchable bloodlust. Why would Bella be any different? Because she was in love with Edward and exposed to him and his family for at least two years and begged to be changed herself!

She saw Edward’s struggles when he was near her, with her, kissing her. She was almost mauled by Jasper at the beginning of New Moon. She heard all the stories and warnings. She had ample time to prepare! Not that she could necessarily prepare for that transformation, from the unbearable burning sensations during the changing process to the ravenous thirst she felt. But unlike a newborn vampire who one day was changed, basically without warning, without any “support,” Bella was surrounded by nothing but support and reminders of what she needed to do and what she needed to fight against to remain a “good vampire.” Her transformation may have occurred at an unexpected time and really without warning, but she had intended for this to happen ever since she realized she would continue to age and Edward would remain 17. She didn’t want to hurt Edward by allowing him to know the pure agony she was in while she was changing – that was a conscious decision she made because of her situation, ultimately wanting to be a vampire and be with Edward forever. She had countless reasons for keeping herself in check.

As “extraordinary” as this was, logically I hoped that one of them would realize that she was not similar in any way to another newborn vampire. How many newborns spent ample with “good” covens prior to their transformation? I’m willing to be zero to none.

I get that SM was trying to show that from her ordinary human life Bella became extraordinary, as if fate led her to becoming a vampire. I get it and it makes sense! It just seems that she dumbed down the Cullens, especially Carlisle, to feed into this “Bella the Magnificent” framework.

message 2: by Annalisa (last edited Aug 29, 2008 11:30AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Annalisa I understand the argument about why Bella was in control, but I just didn't buy it. Like you said, SM couldn't sell that without dumbing down the Cullens. But more importantly, she couldn't do it without lessening the intensity of the vampire experience. As much as Bella may have been mentally prepared, without any inkling as to what that thirst would feel like it is unlikely that she could have understood enough to be instantly at a mind-over-matter state. It's an all-consuming physical need beyond any human experience that makes you lose all senses. So ready yes I can see that, but instantly on top of it, never affect you, I don't see that.

I also get why she kept quiet during her transition, but I just personally wish she wouldn't have. Most of the experiences between Edward and Bella showed obsessive and/or indulgent love. I think this was a good chance to show real love during trial, to bond during a harrowing experience. I really wanted Edward to be the Edward from Twilight there to comfort and hold her and want to take all her pain away. I know he was willing to do so, I just wanted to see it. I miss the Edward from Twilight.

message 3: by Ranata (new) - added it

Ranata Clark Annalisa, I agree. I don't buy it either. That is bullcrap that Stephenie tried to use as a twist. Everybody else that was a newborn was full of blood lust but not Bella because she observed the Cullens? Bullcrap.

Lauren I see what you mean, but I also can understand what SM was thinking. Writing a book is really difficult, and she was trying to make everyting make sense. If Bella didn't have the selfcontrol, she wouldn't have been able to get the papers from J Jenks. She also wouldn't have beena ble to be with Renesme, or charlie, though Charlie doesn't matter as much. Also, she woulnd't have been ready to face the Volturi. I can udnerstand and agree with your point, but I still think that it's important that she can control herself so well.

Emma  Blue You know what I think? She only let her have control so she could have more crappy sex scenes with Edward!

message 6: by Lisa (new) - rated it 1 star

Lisa Emma, by sex scenes do you mean fade to black moments? Or do you mean those times when something is happening physically (the reader guesses) but Bella is thinking about how she won't have to stop doing whatever it is to go to the bathroom? Sorry, I can't even type that without a chuckle of chagrin!

Sarah On the same note of the Cullens being dumbed down- I thought that the family discovering that male vamps can actually get female humans pregnant was another example of this. I mean all this time they thought it wasn't possible for vampires to have chidlren and here Bella is having to choose between staying human and having kids possibly with Jacob or staying with Edward and giving that up. Then once Bella was pregnant the Cullens suddenly discover history of it happening before which was SM's means of explaining it. Carlisle spent time with the Volturi- surely he would have heard about it and warned Edward- don't you think?

Lauren I don't think the Cullens were really being dumbed down much. I stand with what I said before, and I think that there is no reason they should have heard of it, since even the Volturi didn't know of the possibility. The people who did know were all located in the area where the Half Vampires were born and living, so of course they would know, or have their myths and legends, but others, such as the Volturi have not necessarily heard the stories, or found them believable.