Breaking Dawn (The Twilight Saga, #4) Breaking Dawn discussion

No Midnight Sun?

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alicia (last edited Aug 29, 2008 09:05AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Alicia Some of you may already be aware of this, but Stephenie Meyer has put off writing Midnight Sun indefinitely. She says (direct quote):

"If I tried to write Midnight Sun now, in my current frame of mind, James would probably win and all the Cullens would die..."

I have to say, the lack of maturity does not surprise me. There have been other instances where I thought her responses were juvenile.

I can see too, however, how some could sympathize with her viewpoint, but I think that if you put yourself out there as a public figure, you have to expect things like "leaks" to happen. Does that make it (the leak) ethical? No. But it should be expected (especially sense she gave it out to people--trusted or not). It's hard to keep anything completely under wraps this day and time with the internet. She isn't the first author/artist that this has happened to, and she won't be the last.

You can read everything she said at her official website:
http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/index.html

message 2: by Kat (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kat Helgeson My first thought when I read that was "I guess that'll teach us a lesson!"

Shannon Well, Alicia, I agree with you for the most part. I do feel badly for her and I can understand that she feels violated, but I think she is being a little pouty. However, I can hardly force her to finish the project if she isn't so inclined, so I'm not going to beat myself up over it.

I am 100% guilty of reading the leak before she posted it officially on her website. I didn't seek it out or distribute it 'virally' to others, but I succumbed to temptation and read it for myself. I enjoyed it, and don't regret it and wish that she would reconsider her standpoint when she's had some time to stew over it.

I think you're correct about being a public figure in the internet age. It doesn't justify the leak ethically, but it certainly explains the widespread distribution of the manuscript. Back in the good old days, if a publication was leaked, fans would be no less eager to read it and no more scrupulous in obtaining it; they would simply be more constrained in procuring it due to the nature of technology. Now that those technological constraints don't exist, it is much easier to observe the behavior of a rabid fandom.

message 4: by Kat (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kat Helgeson Certainly the leak isn't justified, but these things HAPPEN. Harry Potter 7 was massively leaked, and it didn't exactly hurt sales, did it? What if Rowling had decided not to publish that book?

Shannon EXACTLY, Helkat! I think she could've reacted more effectively to this leak. She's alienated more fans and thumbed her nose at MS's potential success. If anything, this widespread circulation of the manuscript PROVES that it will be a commercial success. I'm sure her publisher recognizes that too. *rolls eyes and sighs*

message 6: by Annalisa (last edited Aug 29, 2008 11:49AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Annalisa This makes me feel horrible. I don't think her letter was pathetic. That is how she feels right now and she's being honest and open. I completely understand how she would feel violated. But I don't think anyone should feel bad if they've peeked at the manuscript. And I don't think Stephenie is upset about her fans trying to get their hands on anything Twilight related, which is why she posted the material herself. It is the close personal contact that violated her trust that has left her hurt. It was probably naive of her to assume that nobody would leak the project and hopefully she'll learn from the experience. I can only imagine it's been compounded by the bipolar reception of Breaking Dawn. Maybe she could emotionally handle one at a time but both within weeks of each other has to be hard. I agree with her that she should step back from the project and hopefully after a few months break she'll be ready to resume.

Shannon Well, to be perfectly honest, I don't know how soon she was planning to publish MS under the best of circumstances. After BD, she was already talking about moving on with other projects even though she admitted that she was working on MS. So, she may just be saying this to scare us. I have a feeling it will still be out on the 18 month to 2 year horizon.

Shannon Helkat,

I'm going to pry just a little. Tell me if I'm crossing the line here, but.....did you read Midnight Sun?

message 9: by Kat (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kat Helgeson Shannon - that's certainly a fair question.

Initially, no, I didn't read it. I don't really like to read stuff online, the exception being older classics that are now public domain. Especially since I knew only half the book had been leaked AND it was unedited - that was not the way I would have chosen to experience the story.

However, now that Meyer says she's not going to publish, and has made the story available on her own site, I see no reason not to read it. So I'm currently about halfway through it.

Annalisa - I don't think her letter was pathetic either. Or rather, I don't think the sentiment is pathetic. Of course she would be upset and feel betrayed by this event, and I do feel bad for her. I just don't agree with the way she's chosen to handle it. It feels like she's trying to punish us by withholding the book. It kind of reads like "if you're going to be ungrateful and mean, maybe I just won't publish the book!"

message 10: by Shannon (last edited Aug 29, 2008 01:22PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Shannon Like I said, it seems a little pouty. Or like she's playing mommy to a bunch of petulant children. Well, whatever. I'm certainly not going to change her mind about finishing Midnight Sun anymore than I can rewrite Breaking Dawn by continuing to complain about it.

I don't know if I've said this on this particular forum or elsewhere, but I learned my lesson with the Twilight series. I got addicted to it against my better judgment. Now, I get to pay for it.

message 11: by Annalisa (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:36AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Annalisa Shannon & Helkat14: I can see why you would get that interpretation. I'm just saying I don't think that was her intention. And more than anything I would not want to be her right now.

Shannon, I find myself agreeing with many of your comments. I think this is exactly why: I got addicted against my better judgment too. I liked Twilight and I actually liked New Moon too (because it's not as cheesy). But I felt Eclipse was a big stall and found the Host painfully cheesy and too easy a resolution, but it wasn't in the series so I didn't give it too much credence. It isn't until her 5th book that I'm realizing that no my initial reaction to the series was correct and feeling somewhat foolish that it's taken me 5 books to see. You mentioned on another feed that you think Breaking Dawn is more indicative of her writing style and I agree. Wouldn't it be nice to change Breaking Dawn by complaining about though? But I digress. My rant has nothing to do with the topic of this discussion.

Shannon Annalisa,

Thanks. My first comment to the friend that forced Twilight on me was, "well, it was a little cheesy". I was intrigued enough to continue though, and by that time I'd thrown caution to the wind and was hooked. I really, really am ashamed that I was so disappointed in Breaking Dawn since I honestly should've anticipated it.

Leslie When she said that she wouldn't complete Midnight Sun, I'm sure she said it with 'chagrin'! Just kidding--I think it's so unfortunate because, I must say, I think it's a better read than Breaking Dawn --

At school this week (where I work) there were still girls lined up in cafeteria reading various books in the series. I've got to say, that alone, is a good thing (as long as they don't get depressed and remember it's just a book. Don't get me started on that whole subject of anti-feminism or depression/suicide. There are some amazing threads on Amazon regarding this!) Hopefully, they'll grab the classics Bella always refers to--

Lebbano *sigh*
I found out about the leak a few days ago, and i refused to read it. I even sent a message on myspace (that was never read), about it and told her to check out the site i had found it on.
Now i know she has a right as an author to do whatever she wants with the material she writes. But i really feel like shes being petty and punishing everyone for a leak that... im sorry to say, was her on fault. She is a very popular author now and she needs to realize this sort of shit will happen if she isnt very cautious. Im honestly fed up with SM, every time i reread one of her books, i find reasons not to like them. For some stupid reason i anticipated Midnight Sun to redeem the abomination that was BD, but once again i have been let down. She needs to go back to being a housewife.

Bakeshow So, I have to admit, when I read the message on her website. I amost cried. I have been looking forward to MS much more than I was to BD (and that was significant... so you can imagine.)

So, I'm totally out of the loop here, where was it posted? Who did it? And why are they still alive? Why would someone ruin it for everyone else? Seriously? And some of you were saying that she might pick it up again at some point. If she has posted half the manuscript on her website, I think that's a really good indicator that she is done with it. That she is not going to finish it.

Then again, part of me is really really hoping that she will finish it- therefore I don't want to read what she posted, cuz I dont want to ruin it for myself!

message 16: by Shannon (last edited Aug 30, 2008 02:11PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Shannon Bakeshow,

I first saw the manuscript being circulated on an Amazon thread. A new poster popped in out of the blue one day and advertised it. They got it from someone on Yahoo! Answers. Stephenie has said that she recognizes the copy, but of course she won't say to whom it was originally given.

I don't place the blame with the fans for reading it-I place the blame with Stephenie for distributing it to ANYONE besides her editors. She took a calculated risk by letting a rough draft get outside her trusted circle and it backfired. OF COURSE people were going to read it once it got out. What on earth did she expect to happen?

I don't think she's totally done with the project, I just think she's done for NOW. She gave in and posted it on her website because it's already being circulated anyway. There's really no harm in it as well all know how the story will end. For that same reason, there's no reason she shouldn't go ahead and finish the book some day when she gets over her hurt feelings.

All that said, I think she could've handled this situation MUCH more effectively. She showed her hurt feelings to the world and threw a teeny, tiny temper tantrum. She could've smiled at everyone, been a little more evasive, finished the project, and laughed all the way to the bank. Oh, well.......

message 17: by Ranata (new) - added it

Ranata Clark I think Stephenie is just afraid of getting criticized again. So, if that's her thing then fine but when people get tired of waiting and move on, she'll pull it out her her ass again.

Bakeshow It's not that I'm worried about how it will end, I just like to experience the whole thing all at once, that's why it took me so long to convince myself to read the first chapter of BD when it was released in May.

I dont want to tease myself- knowing that it's an unfinished product and not knowing when I'll get to read the rest of it. If she was to come right out and say that she is never going to finish it, I'd be all over reading it.

That's what three day weekends are for! :)

Leslie I really think the Edward character in MS more closely aligns with Edward in BD. I think she'd be so smart to finish it--it'd sell and people would get the non-human part of Edward (I think).

message 20: by Sarah (new) - rated it 1 star

Sarah I agree that the writing in "Midnight Sun" is a lot better than "Breaking Dawn". I think that there is still a good chance she will publish it. She has said recently, though, that she would finish it even if she ended up not publishing it because she writes for herself ultimately. She said she may even write about Jacob and Reneesme but might not publish it. She has spent more time on writing "Midnight Sun" because she has been writing it over a longer period of time with no real pressure to finish it. I think one of the reasons "BD" turned out to be so disappointing was because she was under a deadline to get it published while working on "The Host", as well. It was just all very rushed for her and rather than working on makeing it fit the rest of the series, she relied heavily on what she had already written for "Forever Dawn".

Sabrina I dissagree with Ranata that Steph is being lazy. Somone posted illeagle copies of the unfinished book of the internet. If somone did that to me I would stop too. I personalyy think Steph is the best writter and shoud keep writing.

message 22: by Kat (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kat Helgeson Sabrina - I agree that she should keep writing, and that she was wronged by someone publishing her stuff online. However, Ranata did not say she was being lazy, she said Meyer was afraid of more criticism. Whether that's true or not, I'm unsure, but it does seem consistent with the character of a person who would stop writing just because someone leaked a rough draft. I know that's a violation, but I would like to think Meyer was writing for her own enjoyment as much as for ours. This way, everyone loses.

message 23: by Liz (new) - rated it 1 star

Liz Lebbano-
"She needs to go back to being a housewife"???
Stephenie Meyer has done an excellent job with this series. Sure, not all of the books are amazing, but as a new author she is doing a wonderful job. She has created a gripping world of books. Isn't it evidence of her writing success that we have so many discussions about the books here on goodreads? Clearly, she has many fans and many... not fans but in my opinion she should be really proud of the Twilight saga.

And to all the people who thought SM's comments showed "lack of maturity"? I think she has every right to be a pouty and upset. Her book was massively leaked! That is extremely unfair and nobody should do something like that to an author. Nobody should violate her rights as an author and a person like that.

message 24: by Kat (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kat Helgeson Annabeth -
Everything you said is true...in a sense.

Nobody should violate an author's rights; that was a despicable thing to do and I don't think anyone is defending the leak.

Meyer does have a right to be pouty and upset, that falls under freedom of speech and is granted to her via the US Constitution.

I even support her in being upset. I would be too.

But I don't have to respect poutiness, especially in adults. ESPECIALLY in situations that should be handled professionally. Authors should be professional about writing. Meyer is acting like a child.

message 25: by Shannon (last edited Sep 02, 2008 03:24PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Shannon Yeah, what Helkat said!

(Sorry, I'm tired of typing.)

message 26: by PandaRanda (last edited Sep 03, 2008 04:06AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

PandaRanda I'm pretty gutted about Midnight Sun too...I was eagerly looking forward to sinking my teeth into yet another Twilight book...but I suppose I have to swallow my disappointment instead.

When someone said something about the chapters being leaked I actually brushed it off and was totally incredulous. But to think it was all true...how aggravating!

I'm not going to put myself into her shoes, but I understand her distress and disconcertion towards the whole affair. It would surely be a disheartening thing to have your trust broken, violated by the offender and have everyone reading something as embarrassing as your half unfinished, rough, uneditted draft. But I agree she could've handled the situation with a bit more detachment. Her unrestrained flow of emotions made many see her as "childish and pouty", which I suppose is true enough. But it seems pretty consistent with her personality...I mean, she DID write Twilight. Over-indulgent, over-sappy, emotional roller coaster ride. I'm not going to criticise her approach towards this adverse situation, it's her book, she can choose what to do with it. If an author chooses to move on then it's to their own discretion. She never promised us Midnight Sun, no deadline was set, she simply made us all look forward to it. If there had been a deadline and she chose to stop after clearly promising us the book, then THAT would've been outrageous, downright reprehensible.

I really liked it so much better through Edward's mind...*sigh* I guess I'll just have to cross my fingers and hope to see it beside Twilight on my bookshelf one day...some day...

message 27: by Kat (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kat Helgeson Heather - giving an honest explanation wasn't pouty. That was cool. The fact that she cancelled the book in the first place was pouty.

Whoever leaked the book...she's letting them win.