Science and Inquiry discussion

Archive > New Members

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Travis (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:52PM) (new)

Travis | 4 comments Hello,

It looks like we have a few new people already. I'm looking to expand this group, so if anyone has friends and family who are interested in Science and Inquiry, please pass it on.

This week I plan to kick the idea of this group to a few science cafés I know of, and some others forums as well.

Thus far this si the only real science oriented group I can find in Goodreads, which is unfortunate, so let's help it grow a bit.

message 2: by Mike (new)

Mike (mtwags) | 1 comments So much for science type thinking, I thought I was in this group already,......only to find after further "Inquiry" that I was not.
Well, now I am and I'm looking forward to it.
Some cool books to check out.
Be back soon.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy (AmyCath) | 4 comments I joined a while ago and have been lurking about, but now I am glad to see this group hotting up! Couldn't resist adding a couple of books to the group shelves, hoping that that is okay. Good to see some Dawkins (my hero) already up there. I am currently teaching microbiology (not really my specialty) so I have been reading a lot on those lines.

message 4: by Elizabeth (last edited Mar 20, 2008 04:38PM) (new)

Elizabeth Well I'm enthusiastically in, and I've added more books (mostly epidemiology, which is my thing, but also some philosophy of science and public communication of science). But being fairly new to Goodreads and completely new to groups, I have a question. Are we allowed to suggest extra shelves? Because "science" is a broad church, and if the pews of this group start to fill up it might get a bit shambolic having everything bunched together.

message 5: by Peter (new)

Peter Macinnis I am another new one -- I live in Australia, but get around, and my shallowness makes monomolecular layers look profound My credentials: I have visited Henri Mouhot's tomb, outside Luang Prabang; I make stone axes; I have visited Les Eyzies and Lascaux and I have handled the Piltdown skull.

I have visited Marie Curie's birthplace; I have consumed a beer in the John Snow pub in what used to be Broad Street; I carried a giant kangaroo's fossil toe bone in my shirt pocket at work every day for two years; I saw Galileo's finger in Florence before they put it on the Web and I know the first name of the inventor of the Wimshurst machine.

I once couriered a type specimen of a very ancient fish from Edinburgh to Australia, in contravention of EU regulations, rather than surrender it to a customs official who asked if it came under anthropology or zoology; I once exhibited two savages in a golden cage for three days and I have frizzled the hairs on my leg by standing too close to lava on the slopes of Kilauea. All those are close enough to true enough for government work.

Everybody has their faults: I have mine in a block of varved shale, sitting on my desk. They are all normal.

Well, something had to be . . .

message 6: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  Petersen | 9 comments I am absolutely a non-scientist, but I truly enjoy reading science books that are written for people like me. (I struggled through high school chemistry and opted out of physics, and that was the end of any scientific career.) I am a fan of the late Stephen Jay Gould and Timothy Ferris and other writers who like to communicate with old English majors. I've just finished Walter Alvarez' "T.rex and the Cradle of Doom," which I consider an excellent example of this populist science genre. Most of the books I've seen in this group list are ones that appeal to me. Thanks for adding me to the group.