Heathens, Pagans and Witches discussion

Festivals/Celebrations > Fall-Autumn Rituals ...

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jess (new)

Jess | 8 comments hello everyone...i was thinking about fall and i was wondering what are some of your favorite fall rituals and or activities that you enjoy doing? some of my favorite activites has to be getting fresh apples at the orchards and smelling the lovely aroma of cider and donuts..i also enjoy just taking a walk in the woods full of autumn scents of leaves and earth..just taking it all in and relaxing..can you tell im very excited that fall is coming?~~~ hehe...i'd love to hear some of your favorites :)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Fall is my FAVORITE season. I like the harvest festivals everywhere... So pagan- and they don't even know it! LOL

But the colors and the foods- mmmmmmm.....

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather Ray (wordchick) | 18 comments Definitely I love going to the big state fair in our area and eating as many apple products as possible. I also love walking the land on my parents' farm and seeing all of the beautiful colors.

I'm going to do a house cleanse later in the weekend--I got the idea from another pagan. Later, I'll use the lavender broom on a door wreath with some beautyberry stems and gourds. I love making fall wreaths.

message 4: by Mathilda (new)

Mathilda Craft (mathildacraft) | 12 comments Depends... for Samhain, I like to make new years resolutions of small torn off pieces of paper and burn them in the fire. Wishes or prayers I like to tie on tree branches... for any occasion, not just fall season.

I like doing spiral dances for Samhain and Yule.

I'll let you know if I can think of anything else.

message 5: by Sorita (new)

Sorita | 4 comments Do you mean spells specifically (such as the ideas given by Mathilda_craft?) or rituals or activities such as going out for a walk?

Personally I like making preserves, incences and oils around this time of the year. I am just sitting here sniffing oils I bought recently for inspiration and planning the months ahead. I am thinking of doing a supplies listing with some ideas for oils and incenses for my Avalonia.co.uk website later today :-)

I also love baking gingerbread cookies and giving them to friends so that they can bite the heads of as a sacrifice to John Barleycorn!

message 6: by Mathilda (new)

Mathilda Craft (mathildacraft) | 12 comments I believe Jess means either/or/and in this case.

I make gingerbread too. :) I like to create jewelry inspired for the seasons, as well. Bone bead skull bracelets are some of my favorites.

message 7: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (foxglovewitch) Autumn is by far my favorite season, but unfortunately I live in Texas, where autumn is... well, nonexistent most years. When I lived in Germany, I loved to just sit outside on my balcony or go for walks in the woods so I could breathe in the scent of falling leaves and pine. No such luck here. :(

I've sadly gotten out of the habit of doing rituals (that's a big problem with temporarily living with family members, argh), but my favorite autumn rituals usually involve cooking. The weather starts to cool off, and I immediately start baking apple dumplings and making beef soup. I guess I lean a bit toward kitchen witchery. :)

mathida_craft, making jewelry is actually a really great idea. I've been wanting to get into beading for a while now. I think maybe this year, the thought of fall will inspire me to make a few necklaces and bracelets. :)

message 8: by David (new)

David | 13 comments hi there well no such luck here floods in (united kingdom).. is all that is happening
mind you that is in england, scotland tend to me more sunny at the moment.. and you are right there is nothing more enjoyable than a hot bowl of SCOTCH-BROTH.. to warm you up also a good bowl of porrage with milk in the morning

message 9: by Mathilda (new)

Mathilda Craft (mathildacraft) | 12 comments I've been in beading for a while now (I started with making earrings)and as much as I like Holly Yashi's creations, they are just so wicked expensive that there's no way I could afford the fall falling leaves earings or beaded snowflake ones (I don't know if the snowflake ones were made by Holly Yashi, for sure, though), but I would love to make some and have been meaning to for a while now.

I haven't gotten around to much creating these days, since I don't have much free time (I mostly jot down ideas for later use), but basic necklace and bracelet layouts are really easy to do, it's just the knotwork and linking that can be tricky, depending on what materials you use (layout always takes the longest, of course). I find it very relaxing and calming. It helps slow down my days when I'm feeling a little tight around the neck. But I will warn you, it's an easy addiction to get into.

There are so many crafts you can do in this season that's it's hard to think of one that isn't related to the seasons, in general. Crochetting and knitting are perfect for this season of cold weather coming (I still need to finish my scarf) and I have a friend who's hobby is making gourd oil lamps. They are so beautiful! I'm so envious!

message 10: by Mathilda (new)

Mathilda Craft (mathildacraft) | 12 comments Food is a great way to express the season as well.

Apple cider, Apple Snitz (which is dried up bits of apple) pumpkin ale, mead (which is a favorite of mine), roasted cinnamon sugar pecans, chili, jalapino black bean soup, and roasted potatoes.

I often get this particular Sauvignon wine I always get at World Market. They come in cat shaped wine bottles and for Halloween they come out with a black cat bottle. I know it's stereotypical, but I love those bottles (and the wine too :) ;) tee hee). I have one in almost every color.

I live near an apple orchard and I'm excited to visit it this year. Last season wasn't good, as the drought brought little from the crops.. or was it a bad storm? I can't remember which... regardless, there were few apples to go around. At least this year the apples will be more plentiful even if they are smaller. I live in the Appalachian Mountains ;)

message 11: by David (new)

David | 13 comments here is a good argument from both viewpoints

Is religion really safe?.. Not from the research

work of Gary Jensen from Vanderbilt University. In his essay in the same journal, 'Religious Cosmologies and Homicide Rates Among Nations', Jensen says "Recent research on homicide among cities in the United States report findings quite compatible" with the view that religious passion is linked to high homicide rates. The mass murderer does not have to be a religious person but merely one influenced by a dysfunctional society.

The disturbing fact for religious adherents is that the least religious society in the world happens to be one of the most orderly and harmonious in the world - Japan. The societies which have the more overt religious influence - such as Islamic societies - display the highest levels of intolerance, bigotry, hate and dysfunction. And in the advanced democracies, America, the most religious, fares the worst. America, it turns out, is way behind its European counterparts in terms of societal health.

Says Gregory Paul in his scholarly essay: "The United States is almost always the most dysfunctional of the democracies, sometimes spectacularly so and almost always scores poorly. The view that the United States is a 'shining city on a hill' to the rest of the world is falsified when it comes to basic measures of societal health ... No democracy is known to have combined strong religiosity and popular denial of evolution with high rates of societal health ... The U.S. is the least efficient Western nation in terms of converting wealth into cultural and physical health."

Plausible view

Gregory Paul is obviously delighted by the empirical data which makes plausible his view that "The non-religious, pro-evolution democracies contradict the dictum that a society cannot enjoy good conditions unless most citizens ardently believe in a moral creator. The widely-held view that a godless citizenry must experience societal disaster is therefore refuted."

Benjamin Franklin said that "Religion will be a powerful regulator of our actions, give us peace and tranquility within our minds and render us benevolent, useful and beneficial to others."

But militant atheist intellectuals like Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins will dispute that. In the last few months, Time magazine has featured debates between Christians and atheists. Most recently, Sam Harris was paired off unfairly with the Christian intellectual lightweight but best-selling author of the Purpose-Driven Life, Rick Warren. Harris has written two damning books, The End of Faith and Letter To a Christian Nation. Richard Dawkins has written the God Delusion. He was matched with renowned scientist Francis Collins of the Human Genome Project fame.

Harris and Dawkins feel religion is an unsafe relic from our primitive past, and Daniel Dennett, more irenic, has used science to show that religious phenomenon is easily explained by evolutionary theory.

Unknown to the average Jamaican Christian, safe in his cocoon of religious belief and piety, is the whole world of scholarship which is seriously undercutting religious faith - or seeming to do so. Aside from the philosophical and scientific arguments which are adduced to prove the points of the atheists is the experience with religious people and the anecdotal evidence of how religious people are too often close-minded, prejudiced, ill-informed, anti-intellectual and primeval.

Some of the worst prejudices and atrocities in the world have been perpetrated by religious people. It's not just the Muslim extremists and fanatics who exhibit hate and bitter resentments. Christianity has produced more than its fair share of tyrants, despots and monsters. In the United States many of the gruesome crimes and sexual offences are committed by religious people, including pastors and priests.

Many people campaigning for human rights and civil liberties have been opposed by religious people (though liberal religionists also have an impressive history of support for these causes). But for every William Wilberforce, there are countless Christian bigots. Former dropout from the convent and well-known intellectual, Karen Armstrong, author of numerous books, including A History of God and The Battle for God, says in her latest book, The Great Transformation: the Beginning of Our Religious Traditions, that the religions are redeemable if we know how to purge their texts of the gross which has accumulated.

Armstrong sees the essence of religion as compassion, as the Dalai Lama constantly emphasises. She sees compassion as trumping dogma and correct belief. It's about love, not doctrine, Armstrong says. If we could recover that primary belief of the Axial Age, then we could make religion safe, not the danger that it now poses to the world; at least in its fundamentalist variety.

david garden

message 12: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (loderkelly) | 3 comments This is most defiantly my favorite time of the year. I love the smells, the colors and the foods. I wish I could leave my harvest decorations up all year round "sigh". I also like to cleanse my home and prepare it for the dieing time of the world around us.

David - I'm not sure the relevancy of this comment on this specific topic but it was ummm interesting. Maybe you could enlighten us on your thoughts behind the posting.

message 13: by Jess (new)

Jess | 8 comments well, to answers kellys questions...i would have to say..i've always had a love of fall and the activities that come with this season..i grew up loving nature...always being outside, grew up on a farm..my mom always told us to enjoy the simple things in life..and i always have...i always feel a connection with nature and the world around me..this time of year makes me the most happy... :)

message 14: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (loderkelly) | 3 comments Jess - I think you misunderstood my comment. I think the posting of the autumn rituals is lovely. I was referring to the post by David regarding is religion really safe. I just didn't see the relevancy of that particular article for a thread regarding autumn.

message 15: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (loderkelly) | 3 comments I see now that David's post was meant for another topic on this group "Which religion is safe". Now it makes sense to me. Before I was a little baffled, but now the fog has cleared.

Ahhh the golden field of Milo across from my home is quit lovely this time of year. Too bad the rest of the year it’s a soggy muddy mess.

message 16: by Mathilda (new)

Mathilda Craft (mathildacraft) | 12 comments Kelly, you're not alone. I was baffled too. Glad to know you cleared that up. Hopefully David will post it to the other thread intstead.

message 17: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta Well - autumn in Western Wisconsin has been about as dreary as our failure of a summer. Oh well; hoping for a great summer/fall next year.

For Samhain each year I light a candle and while it burns take time to remember and talk about the people I have known who have died. I also include people in the news whose deaths caught my attention. I started including them because when my son was younger, he simply had not lived long enough to really know anyone who had died. It was a way for him to be a part of our evening.

message 18: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Celaya (flatground) | 4 comments Being of Mexican descent, I also make an altar and ritual to remember loved ones who have passed...I love making pan de muerto and visiting Olvera Street in Los Angeles, which has a great Dia de los Muertos parade and celebration. This is a time for me to feel even closer to friends and family and celebrate the winding down of life and the seasons. I also put my garden to sleep by sheet mulching and planting garlic for next year.

message 19: by Kendra (new)

Kendra (ravenacres) I have a small alter on my bookcase. I light some candles and remember those who have passed on in the past year.