Alaska Book Group discussion

General Discussion > Alaskan authors

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Arctic (last edited Sep 01, 2008 12:03PM) (new)

Arctic | 13 comments Mod
Sue Henry and Shelley Gill. who else?

message 2: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 13 comments Mod
I suppose we should add Kaylene Johnson for her biography on Sarah...

message 3: by Charles (new)

Charles | 5 comments John Straley (Sitka)

Stuart Archer Cohen (Juneau)

Stan Jones (Anchorage, wrote the Nathan Active mysteries)

Cindy Dyson (Anchorage/Eagle River)

Dana Stabenow (Anchorage)

Sue Henry (Anchorage)

Chuck Thompson (grew up in Juneau)

Heather Lende (Haines)

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol | 5 comments I've recently read one of Kim Heacox (The Only Kayak) and have Antarctica, the Last Continent on my shelf.

message 5: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 13 comments Mod
what did you think of The Only Kayak?

message 6: by Carol (new)

Carol | 5 comments I enjoyed reading especially re: his relationship with the Japanese photographer (Michio?)...and the conflicts between enjoying/exploring the wilderness versus preserving it.

message 7: by Charles (new)

Charles | 5 comments You might be thinking of "The Blue Bear" by Lynn Schooler, who used to take Michio Hoshino out on some boat trips around Southeast Alaska.

message 8: by Carol (new)

Carol | 5 comments Actually, I wasn't sure how to spell his name. Lynn Schooler is mentioned in Heacox's book also. Have you read The Blue Bear?

message 9: by Charles (new)

Charles | 5 comments I thought "The Blue Bear" was an interesting memoir about Lynn's travels with Michio. Since I live in Sitka, I know some of the places they visited and I found it worth reading.

Lynn Schooler also has a book about the Confederate ship Shenandoah that sailed all over the world, including Alaska, looking for Union ships to sink (I forget the exact title, but it's something like "Last Shot of the Civil War"). It's an interesting bit of history, but not as well-written as "The Blue Bear."

message 10: by Kay (new)

Kay (alaskahorsegirl) CathieJo Irwin (Kodiak)

message 11: by Michael (new)

Michael Nuckols | 3 comments I'll add myself to this list - Michael S. Nuckols.

message 12: by Kelson (new)

Kelson | 1 comments John and Susan Creed. There book is called Authentic Alaska, and they reside in Kotzebue