Irish Lit & Times discussion

edna o'brien

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by jennifer (new)

jennifer (mascarawand) | 5 comments I'm finishing "The Country Girls" by O'Brien and want to find more by her. Anyone else a fan with suggestions?

message 2: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 2 comments Her recent LIGHT OF THE EVENING is a wonderful contemplation of the mother daughter relationship ((hers in real life being notable bad).One of my favorite books this years
DOWN BY THE RIVER is feminist political take on the real life national debate about a 14-year-old victim of rape, sought an abortion in England.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I have read all of her work as I was considering her writing as the focus of my PhD diss. ten years ago. My fav. novel is IN THE FOREST, but her nonfiction books on James Joyce and MOTHER IRELAND are also very good.

message 4: by jennifer (new)

jennifer (mascarawand) | 5 comments Thanks for the suggestions, Nancy and Pei! It's good to hear from others who enjoy her work and I'll be looking for the titles you listed. Also, I didn't know she wrote non-fiction.

message 5: by Joan (new)

Joan | 8 comments I'm presently reading "saints and sinners" omg that's a tough book, the opening story "the shovel king" is heartbreaking...the poor irish that had to eternally dig the hard clay land of London.

message 6: by Rashers (new)

Rashers Tierney | 5 comments The film version "The Girl With Green Eyes" is very enjoyable, while still capturing the melancholy of the book (somewhat)