Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > Un/escaping review varchars (extremely geeky/nitpicky)

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Seth (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:51PM) (new)

Seth | 78 comments
I noticed a weirdish issue in the text->HTML translation that might be worth mentioning on the review editing sidebar.

If a character requiring HTML escaping (amp-name-semi) occurs right where the "...more" appears, the "...more" insertion re-escapes the escaping, causing the escape sequence to appear literally. Take a look at my review of [book:Creating Short Fiction: The Classic Guide to Writing Short Fiction". I left it in that state.

If I change the start of the paragraph from "The book" to "Creating Short Fiction," the ugly escaping goes away, but changing it to "This book" doesn't move the quote by enough. I assume the danger zone is either 6 or 10 characters (6 = """, 10 = "&ampquot;"), but I haven't played with it enough.

Off the top of my head I don't know if unescaping HTML is deterministic or not(I know url decoding is not), so this seems like it could be solved on the insertion side. Since inserting the ellipses after a period already looks pretty weird, inserting after a space (and inserting " ...less" rather than "...less") might make sense anyway*.

It seems like a small thing and it probably is. I just noticed that it made the review look really, really weird to someone unfamiliar with markup.

I would assume the same issue applies to gt, lt, amp, eacute, reg, yen, iexcl, etc. and is more likely to show up in non-English reviews.

* Actually, would inserting an hellip be better?

message 2: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:52PM) (new)

Otis Chandler | 4184 comments Mod
Hey Seth,

Yes, we're aware of that issue. We were just hoping nobody would point it out :) We'll try to think of a better solution - thanks!