Goodreads Feedback discussion

Bugs > a bug in "search?"

Comments (showing 1-50 of 69) (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt | 77 comments Hey I think there may be some kind of bug going on... Anytime I try to search for a book, I type the book name in the search box and below that I see the little dots.. goodreads, barnes and noble, amazon.. And I always click on goodreads but no matter what I do, it goes back to barnes and noble and I can't find squat cause barnes and noble doesn't have every book. Just thought I would see if anyone else is having this problem and if anyone knows how to fix it?

Darkpool (protesting GR censorship) (Darkpool) | 253 comments yep, me too, drives me nuts.

message 3: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Search seems to be buggier than normal today. I've manually added some books because they didn't come up in a search, then once I'd created them, suddenly identical editions appeared. Pain in the #$%^.

Kindles are also not importing automatically all the time.

message 4: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt | 77 comments Yes. I can't even find my own books without going to my shelves, let alone other ebooks.

message 5: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

rivka | 12158 comments Mod
When you choose "goodreads", the search checks Goodreads first, then the Amazons, then B&N. So it's not a bug with the radio buttons, although there may be a bug with search.

message 6: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl It's definitely a bug. I created a book titled "Perceiving, Sensing and Knowing." It said: "The book you are adding may already exist in our database. If it appears below, please use that edition instead of adding a new one.

Atonement
Reading Lolita in Tehran
A Problem from Hell
Atonement
Atonement
Faulkner from Within
Faulkner
A Festival of Talent"

message 7: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt | 77 comments Yes. You would know better than I. All I know is search is not working. It doesn't appear to be searching gr no matter how many times I click the gr button. Thank you for looking into it.

message 8: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 768 comments I know its the weekend, just thought I'd add that its happening a lot. Something to look at when you're back at work.

Books that I know are in the db just aren't showing up and weird ones are. Also the list of potential books aren't coming up as you type, like before.

Example: One Grave at a Time (Jeaniene Frost) couldn't even get it up for a link despite it being in the system for months
Link from my shelves: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/79...

The following search was from Amazon & it was a lot weirder from B&N, but it wouldn't do a GR search as Tara said.
Search: http://www.goodreads.com/search/searc...

message 9: by Noughty (new)

Noughty | 21 comments Same here. Don't know if it is related, but with calibre I don't find any metadata for any of the books on goodreads too. None of the books are found. And in search I added one author and only a few books of her were found. At least going to authors page fixes that.

message 10: by Nenangs (new)

Nenangs | 116 comments search some books that i know definitely available just this morning (it's 20:46 now on my compie's clock now), either didn't show up or got all kinds of weird results. :)

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

It wouldn't search for groups last night.

message 12: by Djrmel (new)

Djrmel | 304 comments It must be a transient bug. A couple hours ago, The Rainbow wouldn't come up on a Goodreads search. It would come up with an ISBN search though, so I edited what I wanted to add. I just tried to find it again, and there it was, first book when I search the phrase The Rainbow.

message 13: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

I believe that may be why the site was briefly down a little while ago.

message 14: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 768 comments Appears to be all better now, Thank You PTB :)

message 15: by Zeta_comics (new)

Zeta_comics (zeta_c) | 56 comments I don't know if it's the same thing or not, but my Firefox addon isn't working, when I search it takes me to the search page with nothing on the search box. Is it a bug or my problem? (Windows XP, Firefox 3.5)

message 16: by rivka, librarian moderator (last edited Apr 12, 2011 12:30AM) (new)

I'm getting the same results. The search is a 3rd-party gizmo, though.

And the custom one from Tek-eek still works.

message 17: by Zeta_comics (new)

Zeta_comics (zeta_c) | 56 comments Same result as me or as always?
"3rd-party gizmo" meaning what?
I tried on IE (adding the addon from scratch since I don't use IE) and still nothing. Could it be my PC?

message 18: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

Same as you.

The FF search add-on was created by someone else, not by GR.

I have no idea how you added a FF search add-on to IE.

message 19: by Zeta_comics (new)

Zeta_comics (zeta_c) | 56 comments I'm not sure if it is 3rd-party. When you search in Goodreads the option to the add-on appears on the search field, on both IE and Firefox.

message 20: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

Interesting. Then mine must be different than yours. I found and added mine via the Mycroft Project.

message 21: by Izetta Autumn (new)

Izetta Autumn (IzettaAutumn) | 14 comments I am having a very odd experience with the book search as well. First, when I enter a book, I am kicked out of goodreads; this also happens when I go to add a book. Second, when I go to search for a book, I no longer have the option of where to search - none of the previous options - Barnes & Noble, Amazon, Goodreads appear. Is this a bug?

message 22: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

You are searching from this page?

message 23: by Izetta Autumn (new)

Izetta Autumn (IzettaAutumn) | 14 comments That page minus the radio buttons. That's what the page used to look like. I jused the link you provided and it worked just fine. When I log in and go to search, I loose the radio buttons - and am kicked out of goodreads.

message 24: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

That implies that the system is logging you out. That usually means a problem with your cookies or cache -- you might try clearing your browser's cache and checking that you don't have recent changed to your computer that are interfering with cookies.

message 25: by Izetta Autumn (new)

Izetta Autumn (IzettaAutumn) | 14 comments I'll try that. Thank you!

message 26: by Bree (new)

Bree (coffeebeanbookshelf) | 124 comments I tried searching for a specific title (The Other Life) and it came up about 15th on the search results, with 14 other books that didn't have those words in the title...the other results were:
Candide by Voltaire
The Prince by Niccolò Machiavelli
Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe
Paradise Lost by John Milton
The Art Of War by Sun Tzu
Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass by Frederick Douglass
The Complete Works Of William Shakespeare by William Shakespeare
Utopia by Thomas More
Wild at Heart: Discovering the Secret of a Man's Soul by John Eldredge
The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin by Benjamin Franklin
Eugene Onegin by Alexander Pushkin
The Guinea Pig Diaries: My Life as an Experiment by AJ Jacobs
As a Man Thinketh by James Allen
Walden and Other Writings by Henry David Thoreau & Peter Matthiessen

It seems to me that the book I was searching for should have been at the top of that list (or rather, none of those books should have BEEN on the list at all).

message 27: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (nkmeyers) | 266 comments @Bree
GR search results can be crazy-making, can't they?

if you surround your terms with double quotes your title phrase search will perform better try simply searching for : "other life"

It will give much more relevant results.

Here's another way to tie it down and get more relevant results: Go to http://www.goodreads.com/search and hit "more"
Then use the radio buttons to select title search.

Bree wrote: "I tried searching for a specific title (The Other Life) and it came up about 15th on the search results, with 14 other books that didn't have those words in the title...the other res..."

message 28: by Bree (new)

Bree (coffeebeanbookshelf) | 124 comments Natalie - I came up with the same results again when I did a search for the book when I hit "add book/author"...wouldn't that be a title search?

message 29: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (nkmeyers) | 266 comments What screen are you on when you hit "add book/author"?

Bree wrote: "Natalie - I came up with the same results again when I did a search for the book when I hit "add book/author"...wouldn't that be a title search?"

message 30: by Bree (new)

Bree (coffeebeanbookshelf) | 124 comments If I'm commenting like how I am right now, clicking on the "add book/author" link that brings up the search popup...

message 31: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (nkmeyers) | 266 comments You'll notice in the title search for the popup,even though it has the "title" tab you will get better results if you doublequote surround your search term. See below with and without:

Bree wrote: "If I'm commenting like how I am right now, clicking on the "add book/author" link that brings up the search popup..."

message 32: by Zeta_comics (new)

Zeta_comics (zeta_c) | 56 comments Zeta_comics wrote: "I don't know if it's the same thing or not, but my Firefox addon isn't working, when I search it takes me to the search page with nothing on the search box. Is it a bug or my problem? (Windows XP, ..."

This is fixed now, thanks! (if anyone did anything)

message 33: by southpaw285 (new)

southpaw285 I'm having a problem when performing a book search. Everytime I do the search, I'm "kicked off" and have to sign back in. Here is what happens:

I type the book title in the search box and hit enter and the book comes up.

When I try to "add to my books", I can't do so, because I'm not signed in.

Is anyone else having this problem?

message 34: by Patrick, Director, Author Marketing (new)

Patrick Brown | 957 comments Mod
southpaw285 wrote: "I'm having a problem when performing a book search. Everytime I do the search, I'm "kicked off" and have to sign back in. Here is what happens:

I type the book title in the search box and hit ..."

Are you, by any chance, using Internet Explorer 8? And are you having this problem on all browsers?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 15653 comments IE8 does not kick you off. I use it, exclusively, and don't have the type of problems discussed here.

message 36: by Patrick, Director, Author Marketing (new)

Other people have reported this issue as being specific to IE8, though there may be other factors involved, as well.

message 37: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Apr 21, 2011 04:52PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 15653 comments If it happens to some people with IE8, and not to others with IE8, then I don't see how IE8 can be the problem. It might be the settings the people have chosen, but it isn't the browser.

ETA: I have my security settings on Medium.

message 38: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (nkmeyers) | 266 comments I am not getting kicked off/having to log back in when I search in IE8 (8.0.7600.16385).

message 39: by southpaw285 (new)

southpaw285 Patrick wrote: "southpaw285 wrote: "I'm having a problem when performing a book search. Everytime I do the search, I'm "kicked off" and have to sign back in. Here is what happens:

I type the book title in the s..."

I just checked and it is IE8.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 15653 comments southpaw285 wrote: "I just checked and it is IE8. "

What are your security settings?

message 41: by Patrick, Director, Author Marketing (new)

A developer is looking into this. Thanks for your patience.

message 42: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Rekshan (drekshan) Hey everyone with the getting-kicked-off-while-searching-in-ie8 problem,

I'm looking into the problem of people getting kicked off when searching or adding books. I'm having trouble recreating your problem, but I have a hunch. My hunch is that you're being kicked off when you search or add a book because of the way some versions of IE-8 handle session cookies, which is the way we can tell you're signed in.

What version of IE-8 are you using? You can see by clicking the help question mark, then selecting "About Internet Explorer". I'm curious about the specific numbers, for example, I'm using 8.0.76000.16385. This might be a problem only for 'beta' versions of IE, but I want to rule that out.

Have you set up your IE to create a new session per window so that you can log into the same site using different accounts? If you don't know what I'm talking about, that's okay, you're not using the setting.

Right before you get kicked off, like right before searching or adding a book, do you see your image and name in the top right corner?

If you sign in, then type the url: http://www.goodreads.com/search into your address bar, hit enter. Do you see the radio buttons under the search bar? These are options to search goodreads, amazon, or B&N.

Thanks!
Daniel

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 15653 comments I know you asked about people who are getting kicked out, but you might want the version number of someone who isn't getting kicked out. I'm using

Version 8.0.6001.18702

I rarely, if ever, use the search link you reference. Instead, I use the search at the top of the homepage.

Her Royal Orangeness (OnlyOrangery) | 26 comments Natalie wrote: "Here's another way to tie it down and get more relevant results: Go to http://www.goodreads.com/search and hit "more"
Then use the radio buttons to select title search."

Having to do this negates the need for the autocomplete feature that was recently added, doesn't it? Not that I would mind if they removed the autocomplete feature, as it is nearly useless, because, as mentioned by a commenter above, it rarely can find what you're actually looking for but suggests random things that aren't even remotely related to what you're looking for.

message 45: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 234 comments This bug is back and it keeps happening quite frequently. When looking for a book or other formats of a book already on goodreads, by using Amazon.com it doesn't show any results.

For example, i'm looking for the kindle version of Black Ties and Lullabies, because i want to add that version to my shelves. I see at the amazon page in kindle and paperback, so it's not like it doesn't exist.

message 46: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited May 19, 2011 11:57AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 15653 comments Rossy wrote: "This bug is back and it keeps happening quite frequently. When looking for a book or other formats of a book already on goodreads, by using Amazon.com it doesn't show any results.

For example, i'..."

Maybe that's because the release date isn't until July 2011. (I don't know this is the case, but it looks sort of like maybe.)

message 47: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

Future release dates don't affect search.

Rossy, this happens because the server that handles Amazon searches sometimes gets overloaded (even though we moved several high-traffic things to another server!) Trying the search an hour or two later works many times.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 15653 comments rivka wrote: "Future release dates don't affect search.

Rossy, this happens because the server that handles Amazon searches sometimes gets overloaded (even though we moved several high-traffic things to another..."

Rivka, when I got the error message, I wasn't searching, but rather clicked on another version of the book Rossy linked.

message 49: by rivka, librarian moderator (last edited May 19, 2011 12:36PM) (new)

That's a completely different issue. Looks like someone deleted the Kindle edition, but its image is still cached.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 15653 comments OK, perhaps different than the title, but the same issue Rossy is now reporting as it's the Kindle version she wants to add.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Rainbow (other topics)
The Other Life (other topics)
Black Ties and Lullabies (other topics)