Harry Potter discussion

Questions > what do you think were james & lily's jobs?

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peng (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:51PM) (new)

Peng | 317 comments ever wonder where all the galleons in harry's vault came from? it wasn't mentioned in any of the books what his parents' job were. they were in the order of phoenix but i don't think that pays at all. could it be from the potters' savings since james was the last in line and then harry? but what were james & lily doing when they were still alive (aside from fighting voldemort)?

message 2: by Suzy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:51PM) (new)

Suzy | 3 comments i've always imagined james as an auror, i could be wrong, but that's how i've always pictured him. and i haven't really thought of what lily's profession could have been yet.

message 3: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:51PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Thats a very good question Peng. Never thought about that. I think James could have been working at the ministry. Lily, not sure. She seem more of a stay at home mom to me.

message 4: by Rachel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:51PM) (new)

Rachel they were never given professions, but j.k. rowling stated that james had inherited a lot of money and didn't really need to work. that's where harry's money came from.

message 5: by Sarah Anne (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:51PM) (new)

Sarah Anne (sarahaf712) | 38 comments All I know is that they were both in the Order and that like Rachel said, James had inherited a lot of money. I think it would have been cool if Lily had been a Healer though. The book said that she was very good at Charms, didn't it?

message 6: by Lindsay (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:51PM) (new)

Lindsay James and Lily were only twenty-one when they died, and they had been working for the Order, so I don't think they had much time to have careers. However, James was an only child and his parents were dead, so he must have gotten all of their money.

message 7: by Mandy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:51PM) (new)

Mandy | 10 comments i think that at least one of them was an auor. that seams kind of likely.

message 8: by Mandy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:51PM) (new)

Mandy | 10 comments good point, sarah and rachel.

message 9: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:51PM) (new)

Meghan | 686 comments You know, I think Lily and James would have sacrificed everything to be in the Order and since James had inherited money why would they need to work? And I don't know if Lily would be dumb enough to shop in Diagon Alley while Voldemort was hunting for her :). Who knows, maybe they had muggle money?

message 10: by Peng (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:52PM) (new)

Peng | 317 comments neville's parents were auror and it was said in the book that both couples (neville's & harry's parents) were strongly fighting against voldemort but like rachel said it wasn't stated what their profession was. i don't think james would be working in the ministry since they've seen the flaw in the system thus, the order. but practicality wise wouldn't that inheritance ran out if they didn't work? but, well, that's what's nice with fiction. anything goes.... hehehe.

message 11: by Peng (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:52PM) (new)

Peng | 317 comments yeah, sarah, lily would have been good at healing since slughorn also said she was very good in potions. do you think she had a lot of help from snape? ^_^

message 12: by kristel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:52PM) (new)

kristel ting | 17 comments from my opinion, i think james is and auror. and lilly..she's a housewife. no job at all. ^_^

message 13: by Alice (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:52PM) (new)

Alice Gold (alicewgold) Isn't Mrs. Weasley an Auror and a housewife...I always pictured Lily as the same.

message 14: by Peng (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:56PM) (new)

Peng | 317 comments molly is a homemaker, no job but a member of the order of phoenix. good thing though, look at her children! we all love 'em!

message 15: by Amy Marie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:56PM) (new)

Amy Marie (Amy_Marie97) | 26 comments I don't really think that Lily, as the talented potion maker she is, would sit and knit all day. I could see Lily working in antidoted studies/research or something like that. Perhaps she found a cure to dragon mumps or something and got a slew of reward money for it.
As far as James, I agree with Peng. He probably would not work directly with the misistry. Actually, considering his Animagus status, his knowledge of Hogwarts grounds, and his possession of Death's cloak, I could very easily see James working as a spy for the current headmaster of Hogwarts. Consider this: if a headmaster was suspicious of a teacher - he could ask James to trail him. It would make sense.

message 16: by Steph (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:56PM) (new)

Steph (kitsune_chan) | 47 comments i think James would have been an auror and i imagine Lily as either a Healer or a teacher, i don't know why but i could definetly see them in those jobs

message 17: by Peng (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:57PM) (new)

Peng | 317 comments i guess they were too busy fighting against voldemort in the order of phoenix to get a job and as lindsay said, they died young (were they really just 21 when they died?) james could even have a go as a professional quidditch player since he was famed to be the youngest seeker (and a very good one) ever, seconded by harry.

message 18: by Annie (new)

Annie (AnnieIsCool13) I agree with everyone that James was probably an auror and I pictured Lily as a stay at home mom.

message 19: by Abi (new)

Abi Lou | 184 comments James worked at McDonalds wringing Snape's hair for grease (for the fries). Lily was a double agent. She helped clip Voldy's toenails and attended to Lucius Malfoy's hair. (Now she's gone, it's not as nice. Not too sure about the bow in the 2nd movie. I don't think Lily would've approved...and I dread to think what Voldy's toenails look like now! You'll have to ask Colin Creevey-also a double agent.)

just kidding...obviously

message 20: by Pandy, "It unscrews the other way." (last edited Apr 10, 2010 01:41PM) (new)

Pandy | 1575 comments Mod
JKR has said that James and Lily didn't hold regular jobs. As Peng said, they were both full time Order members.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

*Ella* wrote: "Pandy wrote: "JKR has said that James and Lily didn't hold regular jobs. As Peng said, they were both full time Order members."

THAT'S STUPID!!!!!"

What's so stupid about it? JKR can write her books however she wants to, and that is obviously something she thought about but didn't put down. It IS her choice, really, and it makes sense.

message 22: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (aliciaftw) *Ella* wrote: "Pandy wrote: "JKR has said that James and Lily didn't hold regular jobs. As Peng said, they were both full time Order members."

THAT'S STUPID!!!!!"

I don't imagine them having time for jobs. They died young, and their time spent out of Hogwarts was in the Order, and in hiding.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm sorry guys, I have no clue what the heck I was thinking when I posted that.

message 24: by Tulika (new)

Tulika (Yuvaine) | 58 comments James and Lily became members of the order as soon as they left Hogwarts. However, James' family itself was very rich and they(Lily and James) left almost everything for Harry.

message 25: by Ahlaam (new)

Ahlaam | 86 comments Canon James and Lily were full time Order members (hunting death eaters out of Auror jurisdiction) and the Potter line was old and prestigious like the Blacks, Malfoys and Longbottoms and so inherited quite the sum. James financially supported his friends (Remus mostly I guess and also Sirius).

Fanon James was an Auror and Fanon Lily was a Healer. I wish fanon was actually canon because I find it hard to see them not having a job. I can see Lily doing research on combining Potions with Charms .

message 26: by Julie (new)

Julie | 275 comments James wold be definitely an auror.
I agree about the healer for Lily. She was good at potions.

message 27: by Amani (new)

Amani | 85 comments Ahlaam wrote: "Canon James and Lily were full time Order members (hunting death eaters out of Auror jurisdiction) and the Potter line was old and prestigious like the Blacks, Malfoys and Longbottoms and so inheri..."

I agree with this.

message 28: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 219 comments Me too!

message 29: by Radha (new)

Radha | 17 comments Lily and James were both members of the order, so I'm guessing that they're both aurors.

message 30: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 219 comments Well remember that they were in the Order when Voldemort was at power, so we can assume that he had contro of the Ministry. Therefore, the job of Auror would not be needed because with Voldy around, Death Eaters are good. Also, Death Eaters were not formed before Voldy's rise to power, only after.

message 31: by Pandy, "It unscrews the other way." (new)

Pandy | 1575 comments Mod
Voldemort and the Death Eaters actually did not gain control of the Ministry during James and Lily's time. There were still Aurors working then. But James and Lily were both full-time Order members (as many have said).

message 32: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (wildbooks) i think their money was inherited. since they died when they were most likely in their 20s, they probably never had set jobs. they had to go into hiding so they could no longer work