Morning Coffee Group discussion

Group Read Nominations > SEPTEMBER book nominations

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joey (new)

Joey (joeyfoto) | 187 comments Mod
yup, lets do a September book.. start nominating ... nominate ONE book in this thread that you want the group to read during September.. the nominations deadline will be Monday, September 8th at noon to get your book in for the nominations..then we will vote that week on a book to read

message 2: by Kim (new)

Kim hey joey...hope things are going well. Now that school is back in I hope to get going on more reading. I was wondering if we could get a list of all our books we have read so that we do not re-nominate the same books (without reading through all the threads?

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim Hey everyone....is there a book? Am I on the wrong thread? Watz Happening?

message 4: by Jen (new)

Jen | 22 comments I'm waiting to hear, too. And have a possible gf who wants to join, too. Any suggestions yet? I just picked up "Puppy Chow is better than Prozac" but I'm not sure if anyone else is interested in reading that. :)

message 5: by Joey (new)

im waiting too..seems the group needs a shot of adrenaline..!! I nominate.. THE JIGSAW MAN by Gord Rollo

message 6: by Kim (new)

Kim ok...what is the theme here....i just read the summaries of both jigsaw man and puppy chow...and well they are both about people who are a bit depressed. Talk about needing adrenaline! hahaha..

message 7: by Joey (new)

hahaha.. im currently reading THE JIGSAW MAN thats why i nominated it.. its pretty good so far! im just tryin to get the group back on its feet again..so im hoping we can all read something together again..

message 8: by Jen (new)

Jen | 22 comments I just looked up Jigsaw Man - it looks good - I ordered it. This sounds like a good start. At least it's not A Million Tiny Pieces (which I loved loved loved until it was exposed - and then I felt so dumb). But I ramble - so I'm in!

Jen

message 9: by Jen (new)

Jen | 22 comments Yeah - maybe we all DO need an adrenaline fix! I know I do - school started and grad school and there aren't enough hours in the day to get everything done! :)

Well - I'll have both books by the weekend - so either way we can read either and I'm set. I'm only interested in the Puppy Chow because I've read some memoirs about depression and bipolar because my uncle is bipolar and my sister is depressed. Ok - she has clinical depression - she's not just depressed! :) lol

What do you think, Kim?

Is this group usually this small? I like it - it's easy to know everybody - I'm just curious. :)

Jen

message 10: by Joey (new)

actually this group used to be huge...I have neglected it for a few months..so now its tiny until the members realize we are participating again... :)

message 11: by Kim (new)

Kim Yeah....Joey was the one keeping everyone going....see Joey...we need you desparately! We even used to talk about T.V. shows.... we were all reality junkies....now nothing! Hope we can get the group interested again! I am reading Stealing Athena: A Novel for my european royalty group and Deadly Deceptions cuz it is easy to read.... I was looking atHalf Broken Things as my next book.. that goes along the lines of broken people....

message 12: by Jen (new)

Jen | 22 comments Kim - I read the excerpts on Stealing Athena and have ordered it - so maybe I'll go from Jigsaw Man to Athena - man to woman! :)

I look forward to whatever may come - and to talking to you two about the books. When I'm not in over my head with a poetry unit that I have to design from scratch. :)

Ok - talk to you all soon!

Jen

message 13: by Joey (new)

Kim was the real one behind the groups early success ... :) Kim we need to get the reality tv threads going.. i watched every episode of big brother cept the last one..(dont tell me who won yet) i have it on dvr :)

message 14: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 4 comments How about reading "A thousand splendid suns" by Khaled Hosseini?

message 15: by Kim (new)

Kim or how about Twilight? I have not read it yet, much to everyone in my neighborhoods astonishment... Joey...I saw that you have Twilight on your list of next to read...I also have A thousand splendid suns ...and would read that too!

So I had an interview for a job yesterday and found out tonight that I did not get it! I am feeling very down... it is hard to go back to work after 11 years at home!

ok...so the season is just starting! let's get going talking about our other obsession...reality T.V. Also just started watching Fringe! wow! it is good!!!!

message 16: by Joey (new)

I would really like to read Twilight.. I heard its super good.. we should read that one this month..

message 17: by Joey (new)

on a side note: Fringe is fantastic!!!! love that one!!!

message 18: by Kim (new)

Kim ok. I vote for Twilight for either Sept. or October whichever month we are working on.

message 19: by Jen (new)

Jen | 22 comments I'm ok with Twilight - I've already read it! :)

message 20: by Jen (new)

Jen | 22 comments Ok Joey - I read Jigsaw Man - somehow I missed that it was a horror book when I looked it up. But anyway - it was ok, but I wasn't horrified (about which I'm glad because I have a really vivid imagination and it would've haunted me for days if it had been). It was ok. I'm overall ok with how it ended, too.

Now on to Athena's something, Kim. :)

Jen

message 21: by Cecilia (new)

Cecilia (cissygold) I have read Twilight, but would like hear what everyone thinks of it, especially with the movie coming out in November.

message 22: by Joey (new)

Jigsaw Man was.. "ok".. as the book went on, it got more and more outlandish and lets just say that..if a part 2 came out..I wouldn't read it.. I give it a 6.5 on a scale of 1-10 .. lets read Twilight since nobody is really voting and its a good way to spark up some group activity.. is everyone ok with this?

message 23: by Cate (new)

Cate (KissingYourSoul) | 6 comments I'm coming into all of this a little late... so I wouldn't mind being in on the next book, and am highly interested in A Thousand Splendid Suns as I have already read Kite Runner.

I'm a little mixed as to whether I want to attempt Twilight, kind of waiting to see what you are all thinking about it..