The Atheist Book Club discussion

Introduce yourself

Comments (showing 151-200 of 245) (245 new)    post a comment »

message 151: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Stultz (WicketWillowbean) | 1 comments My name is Elizabeth and I'm 24 years old. I live in Kentucky (Louisville, to be precise). I have a BA in psychology and did two minors in English with a concentration in literature and Medieval Studies. I studied French for 5 years and have experience with Japanese, German, and Latin. One of my dreams is to translate Medieval Latin and French manuscripts. The other is to eventually become an archaeologist.

Currently, I work with toddlers as a teacher in a daycare. It's not exactly my dream job, or the best use of my degree, but it works for now. I am going back to school in August to work towards a degree in education so that I can become a third grade teacher. I also plan on doing another major in either microbiology or anthropology. I do enjoy some aspects of my job such as being able to teach my children and the joy that I receive when they finally catch on to what I've taught them. I also enjoy the smiles, hugs, and kisses that I get from my kids when I come to work in the mornings.

I am an avid reader and have been since I was a child. I generally read anything except westerns, romance, and inspirational/Christian books. I quite enjoy horror, fantasy, historical fiction, and mysteries. I have also gotten into the Quirk classics recently. Right now, I am reading Android Karenina. Classic literature is another favorite of mine with Edgar Allan Poe, Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters, HP Lovecraft, Victor Hugo, and Gaston LeRoux being among my favorites.

I look forward to making new friends and taking part in book discussions.

-Elizabeth

message 152: by Boellie (new)

Boellie | 1 comments Hello all,

I'm a 27 year old dutch atheist, not raised very religious apart from having a children's bible which I mainly used for coloring, and my grandmother dragging me off to church on christmas and easter.
Because I was young and gullible I didn't ask a lot of questions and probably kind of liked the idea that someone was in charge and looking out for us all.
Deep down I suppose I knew it was BS, seeing as we organized sponsor-runs for UNICEF at school and I had heard about starving children etc.
My dad called himself an agnostic and when I was about 9 or so I asked him about his beliefs and when he said he didn't belief in a god, it was a real eye-opener.
It was probably the first time I considered the possibility.
From the day after that conversation I was an atheist.

message 153: by K.C. (new)

K.C. Boyd (kcboyd) | 3 comments Hi, all.

I'm KC, author and advocate, working to highlight the dangers presented by Dominionism and the rest of the Christian right. I'm new to Goodreads (as well as this group) and just finding my legs.

Am really loving seeing all of these discussions.

message 154: by Brently (new)

Brently (brently75) | 7 comments Sky 平和,歡迎您!

message 155: by Brently (new)

Brently (brently75) | 7 comments Originally, in Chinese.

message 156: by Michael (new)

Michael (semanticwarrior) | 18 comments Khosh Amadid Ali! Thank you for reminding me how lucky I am to have been born in a (relatively) free society. Islam has no corner on (does not dominate) the claim to dystopian outcome. All religion is used by those in power to maintain hold over the less free-thinking amongst us. I truly hope the people of Iran can again be proud of the great intellectual history that the Persian culture has provided to the world over its long existence. I hope to see that in my lifetime! BTW, your English is far better than my Farsi!

message 157: by Kana (new)

Kana (kanamimi) | 1 comments hello all -
I am 31 year old recently realized atheist. (I know...) I am third generation born and raised in New Orleans, Louisiana. To say the entire area is extremely religious, is an understatement. My fiance is atheist. I have avoided the family debate by labeling myself as agnostic but never really gave it much thought. But I finally realized that anything religion being shoved in my face made me very angry and ranty. And I finally outright said it, I'm done pretending to believe something I don't, just to appease people I know and love. It's exhausting.

It bothers me a great deal how Atheist (in America) are viewed as vicious and evil. The hypocrisy is very clear but ignored and that worries me. I'm hoping to learn in this group, since I've never actively seeked out atheist literature. I'm hoping I can at least understand why it's become so taboo and help to fix that.

message 158: by David J. (new)

David J. Larkin, Jr. (davidjlarkinjr) | 2 comments Hi. I'm a 64-year-old guy living in New York City. I became an atheist during the last few months of my mission for the Mormon Church to Brasil (1971). When I came home and announced my decision to my family, they disowned me. Then, that was traumatic. Now it's old news. I'm new to Goodreads and was looking for groups I could identify with. Yours popped up, so here I am!

message 159: by David (new)

David Melbie (drmelbie) | 3 comments I am 57, and I live in the state of New York. I have been an atheist for four years. I am a musician and a writer and I love to read and talk about most anything if it interests me. I am interested in rationalism, and I am a firm believer in science and the arts. My favorite authors are Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, Douglas Adams, James Joyce, J.R.R. Tolkien, Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, Sam Harris, Victor Stenger, Jennifer Michael Hecht, just to name a few.

message 160: by Lex (new)

Lex Allen (LexAllenBooks) | 36 comments Greetings -
Although not an atheist in the purest definition, I am certainly more that, than a believer in any organized religion. Agnostic, is perhaps a better group for me, although in many forms of the definition, I fail to find a snug fit.

I grew up in a Southern Baptist family that attended church a minimum of three times a week, where the women didn't wear make-up, dancing and drinking were taboo and lying to further the cause of Christianity was considered noble (very much like the Catholics). I was baptized at the age of 13, not because I'd "seen the light" and accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior, but because I'd finally given in to the pressure of family and peers.

Not long afterwards, I really did "see the light" and it wasn't Jesus on a cross, dying for my sins. By my late-teen years, the search for the truth about god became a passion. I soon came to believe that god did not exist; rather, he was the creation of the human mind, designed and utilized throughout history to control people through fear.

My years long research into the existence of god, invariably led to creationism versus evolution and from there it was a quick leap to quantum physics and several theories that could support the non-existence of an omniscient god. The "string" and "entanglement" theories, as well as the "multiverse" theory are among the hypothesis that could provide impetus to a variety of alternate possibilities regarding the existence and purpose of life.

Recently, I started my third career as an Indie author. After 21 years in uniform and a 22 year civil service career, I'm putting all my years of research and experience to work writing novels that, I hope, will beat down the doors of churches around the globe, in particular the Catholic Church that started all this Christianity nonsense.

message 161: by Paris (new)

Paris (MajickCheese) Hi everyone I am a lifelong atheist who found this group because I am tired of anti atheist insults given to me from kids at school. They criticize me for drinking caffeine, having my hair longer than theirs,doing stuff on sunday, respecting nature as much as I do, and most of all not beleiving in Christ but instead in evolution. I play guitar and volunteer at the nature center close to my home. I like to read books by Tolkien.

I cam here so I can feel at a place where my personal beleifs are respected and not endlessly, ruthlessly criticized. Thanks, bros and sisses.

message 162: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Walters (sargatanas) | 2 comments Hello, everyone.
It is nice to see so many members in this group. I am not an advocate, nor an activist for atheism, as I think everyone may choose what to believe. I'm quiet. I like to think and learn. I look forward to meeting you all through this wonderful site.

message 163: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina | 1 comments Hi. I am an atheist with a baptist upbringing. I believe I have always questioned what was being told to me. I think my first question regarding the issue is wondering 'How do you know which one is right?" I was very young at the time but I think that question led to a long journey in and out of the church. Coming from a religious community, there was hardly ever a time where I didn't, and still do, hear some religious platitude. More so now that I have announced that I am not a believer.

As to my experience with that the tally so far is, a sister and cousin that will not even come to my house. A brother and another cousin who think I might follow the path they've chosen, Islam. A best friend who, I believe, is compensating for me by throwing herself even more into the Catholic church. No one that won't forget to make some mention to God in my presence, overkill.

I think the best part of the experience was being able to shut a family friend down who literally said to me, upon finding out I am not a believer, "You are the devil." To which I retorted that it was not very christian of her to do so. She conceded, albeit reluctantly. So here I am.

I like to read. Mostly fiction. And I am an atheist. An atheist book club seems a pretty practical thing to do. Most especially since there are no atheist social clubs to visit once a week. Further, I want to become as knowledgeable about this lifestyle I have chosen, as I can. And since I am a learner, I will try my best to keep up and will likely do more reading than posting.

Sabrina

message 164: by Craig (new)

Craig Evans | 2 comments Hello, all!

I'm a 51 yr old father of 4, grandfather of 1, and "deconverted" close to 10 years ago.
Went through a bit of cognitive dissonance, started questioning the pastor at the church my wife and I were attending regarding things I remember being taught as a kid where is conflicted with what she was preachings , then started reading everything I could get my hands on.

Recommendation: The Closing of the Western Mind - The Rise of Faith and the Fall of Reason" by Charles Freeman.

message 165: by David (new)

David Melbie (drmelbie) | 3 comments Thanks for the recommendation, Craig. I will look for it. Have you read The Age of American Unreason, by Susan Jacoby? She addresses this same issue, concentrating on the perpetual 'dumbing down' that has been America's tainted legacy. Welcome to the group!

message 166: by Craig (new)

Craig Evans | 2 comments Yes, read Jacoby's book. Also saw her speak at a conference I attended a bit over two years ago... her other book "Freethinkers" is on my to-read list.

David wrote: "Thanks for the recommendation, Craig. I will look for it. Have you read The Age of American Unreason, by Susan Jacoby? She addresses this same issue, concentrating on the perpetual 'dumbing down' t..."

message 167: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (cherbearyo) | 1 comments I'm Cherie, I'm 19 living in Southern California. I was raised Christian until I was 13 when I began to question the teachings of my church. I gave up organized religion at the age of 15 and declared myself an atheist at 17. I've always been a lover of science and I am currently in college as a biology major as I hope to teach it at the high school level.

message 168: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (kristydanielle14) Hi everyone, I'm a law student and an atheist. I'm interested in the discussions brought up in this group, as I have never really had the opportunity to talk about my skepticism openly before! Nice to meet you all.

message 169: by Lindy (last edited Nov 01, 2013 02:45AM) (new)

Lindy Moone | 4 comments Hi, all! I'm Lindy Moone, but that's my pen name. Nice to meet you. In the course of the (five!) years it took me to write Hyperlink from Hell, I discovered a lot about myself, and about atheist literature. I have always been an atheist, ever since I was an incredulous kid getting punished for smart-mouthing the nuns in church school. (Smart mouthing = asking questions they can't answer.) I just hadn't come out and said that I was an atheist to too many people. Now I'd shout it from the rooftops, if I had a better sense of balance -- and if I didn't live in Turkey, where blasphemy can still get you sent to jail, despite the country's supposed "secular" government. I always thought my atheism was something personal that no one really needed to know. That attitude has changed, as the world has gone mad and rolled back the secular clock. We all need to be more public, to stand up and be counted. We may need bullet-proof vests for a while, and I might need some care packages sent to me in Turkish prison, if anyone here in Turkey actually reads my book...

(Not kidding. A world-famous Turkish pianist was recently sentenced to jail time for tweeting what was deemed as "insulting to the religious" remarks.)

Here's a link to a funny spoof on Richard Dawkins, courtesy of the British spoof news site, Newsbiscuit:

http://www.newsbiscuit.com/2013/10/31...

message 170: by Michael (last edited Nov 09, 2013 10:47AM) (new)

Michael Leamy | 24 comments Hello all, just a quick hello to everyone as introduction. I am new to GoodReads, so I am working on making as many foolish mistakes as I can, as early as I can, so that way I will be able to look forward to years of sophisticated interactions. As Garp said, I will pre-disaster my profile now, so I am safe later.

I think that paragraph might qualify as my first mistake.

Onward. I am an atheist, and more and more I find myself becoming an bit of a militant one. I do things like tell roving bands of Mormons to piss-off when they get too near my children, or post endless streams of atheist memes on Facebook ... making friends all way way. In fact, as time has passed I've realized that I am not really an atheist, I am an anti-theist, and a lot of my self-examination these last few years has focused on my understanding of what that means to my interaction with the rest of the species. I love humanity, but so often I find myself realizing I hate humans. Confusing, but it has saved me a lot of money on beer.

I have become such a prick about atheism I wrote a book. A selfish little piece of fluff that I worked for a year to create, and as much as I doubt my ability to pen anything worth reading, I am still proud of it. I hope one day it is a mainstay on the top 100 atheist reading list - but that is my hope for the future, and now isn't the time to stroke my ego in front of all of you. We've only just met. I'll tell you about the book later ... trust me.

I joined GoodReads on the advice of other readers. People who have been avid for years, and whose dedication to new works made me envious. I was envious because at one time I was the book pig. I consumed literature in the same way a rich teenage boy consumed cheerleaders. Life got busy. I got distracted, and the writings I did, as I tried to become what I so enjoyed, slowed and then stopped. The unfinished works forgotten in a box, so unfortunately like my life.

Then I got married, and we had three kids. Life became even more insane. Then, as we all remember, being working class was made illegal, followed quickly by procreation without a trust fund being banned, and we suddenly had our hands full just staying out of prison. Needless to say, I was a depressed and angry son-of-a-bitch. All of my artistic endeavours had failed or had been abandoned, and I was faced with a future that was killing me sooner than I was prepared to accept.

My wife told me to start writing again.

It started slowly, just stupid little poems, and they told me things I already knew but wasn't willing to accept. I spent a lot of time crying, drunk, in my basement. This shit was stupid, and yet it was more real than a bullet to me. I kept writing.

As a joke my wife and I were ordained as atheist ministers, and I began to remember my Catholic upbringing. An unassailed alter boy, one of only six, I was able to see my churchy roots for what they were ... stories for children, meant to bring us to a place our elders knew how to respect. I am not much of a follower, and I was a conscious atheist by the time I was twelve. As I wrote my little bits of nothing, the memories returned, and I realized just how much of this world is being destroyed by those who have never left their childhood - never left the comfort of fairy tales and happy endings.

So now I am here. Returning to what I understand. Reading. Words. Learning what others thought, not just to improve myself intellectually (because anyone who knows me knows I am a lost cause), but to console myself. Because I need to see that there are others like me, and I hold on to the hope that the ones who felt as strongly as I did, they wrote it down, just as I did.

They wrote their meaningless fluff and lived their lived afterwards, as if nothing had happened to them, and they wrote it looking for the others as I am.

Thanks for letting me play.

message 171: by Martyn (new)

Martyn Stanley | 2 comments Hi everyone!

I'm Martyn Stanley, author of 'The Deathsworn Arc'. I used to be a little bit skeptical about the existence of god. Really, my mum's determination to believe more or less everything you shouldn't believe which led to my own drive to critically examine everything, plus a study of science - that's what made me come to the conclusions on gods I came to.

My epic fantasy series 'The Deathsworn Arc' has a strong theme of atheism. It's subtle in book 1 but builds. It's all part of some philosophical thought experiments. "What would happen if the existence of god was totally unequivocally disproved?"

Martyn

message 172: by Dan (new)

Dan J (RelUnrelated) Greetings, all!

My name's Dan, and I'm an atheist. :D I'm sure I know some of you from Twitter, where I'm @RelUnrelated. I don't read nearly as much as I did years ago, but I'm starting to pick up speed again. It's wonderful to see public atheists groups spring up in all sorts of places. Great to meet you all here!

message 173: by R.M. (new)

R.M. DAmato (damatorm) | 2 comments Hello.

My name is Robert and I am the author of The Last Seminarian--a secular/atheist novel.

I am glad to have found this group and I look forward to read about other atheist novelists, which seem to be few in number. Please share information on that specific genre. I hope to hear from more infidels.

Ciao

message 174: by Venelin (new)

Venelin Arnaudov | 2 comments Hi,
I have travelled a lot to come to the point I am at the moment. I am still searching for truth and I do not know where I will be in 5, 10 or 20 years.

I am looking for very good, really good atheist books. Not only as a critic to the religious dogmas (I know every argument of the apologists), but rather as a vision for a world without religion. How to deal with the religious fanatics, how to explain the world to the small children without fairy tales, is it possible to get a world without superstitions.

message 175: by Michael (new)

Michael Leamy | 24 comments Venelin wrote: "Hi,
I have travelled a lot to come to the point I am at the moment. I am still searching for truth and I do not know where I will be in 5, 10 or 20 years.

I am looking for very good, really good a..."

I don't know if this is the appropriate venue for this, but your introduction has me wanting to suggest my book, The Atheist Bible.

I am not convinced I am all that great a writer, but in it you will find a vision of a future without religion, a morality washed clean of religious influence, a perspective that is aimed to address ALL the western gods, a challenge to all atheists and an ultimatum to the theists.

Good luck in your search.

The Atheist Bible

message 176: by Venelin (new)

Venelin Arnaudov | 2 comments Thank you Michael!

I have marked your book for reading. At the moment I am reading other books (out of professioinal duty, out of interest or just for fun). And I will wait to see the reviews of the other readers :)

Greetings from Cologne!

message 177: by Timothy (new)

Timothy | 1 comments My name is Tim. I found goodreads through a friend who recommended it to me. I was schooled in the Catholic School system for 9 years, and never could believe the crap they were selling. I consider myself a humanist and a free thinker.

message 178: by Kaleesha (new)

Kaleesha Williams | 9 comments Bob wrote: "I am fascinated by the philosophy of religion, religious debates and science. As a former theist, I have both disdain for the ignorance propagated by religion and compassion for the delusional adherents."

Bob, I can SO relate! I'm also freshly deconverted (just over one year ago) from serious immersion in Christian culture. I studied myself right out of the Bible trying to answer question after question... Is it ever nice to be free! That Thomas Paine quote is my personal favorite.

message 179: by John (new)

John (LongJohn) | 11 comments Stumbled across this group when a member named Kaleesha alerted me about same. Had quite a bit of fun reading many of the posts before deciding to join. I'm from a family of many generations of atheists, paternal and maternal, so I've never been bitten by the magic god bug. Nonetheless, the biology of religion and the strength of its hold on so many (VOTERS!) has always fascinated me.

message 180: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (Patrickcarrion) | 6 comments Hello,

My name is Patrick and I'm a 28 year old living in Seattle. Born in Wisconsin, I was raised Catholic, but never really believed. Faked my way through my first few sacraments but my the time Confirmation came around I was so opposed to it, when it came time to go on the required retreat I put my dresser in front of my bedroom door to prevent my parents from getting in. They eventually blackmailed me into going by saying "If you don't want to go that's fine, but you have to call all your aunts, uncles, and grandparents, and explain to them why you're quitting."

My disdain towards religion also increased with the realization that I was gay. Shortly after I graduated college, I fell in love with a wonderful boy and we moved to Seattle where we plan on getting married in April.

I've read the majority of Hitchens books, but few others I'm afraid. I generally enjoy any type of fiction. Looking forward to seeing what this group has to offer.

message 181: by Brian (new)

Brian Connelly Yo. 34 year old ESL teacher in Japan who got back into reading and arguing (in the philosophical sense!) last summer. Got back into reading philosophy and the question of God came up and, after watching a number of episodes of The Atheist Experience on YouTube, realized I was an atheist (considered myself agnostic/spiritual before that). I don't consider it an integral part of my identity, but if I'm going to take a philosophical position on the issue, it is atheism: I believe there is/are no god(s). I've read very little on atheist-specific or even religious literature, but I enjoy reading philosophy and science, which are the basis for my position.

On a side note, was raised essentially secular (some of my mom's family is devoutly religious, but she isn't and my dad was atheist), which probably makes my experience quite a bit different from other atheists.

message 182: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (Patrickcarrion) | 6 comments Welcome!

message 183: by R.M. (new)

R.M. DAmato (damatorm) | 2 comments Hello.

Chele Cooke interviewed me for her Sci Festival event--I wrote The Last Seminarian which is a heretic's sci-fi/fantasy novel. Check it out:

http://chelecooke.wordpress.com/2014/...

Also, Susan Perry, author of the atheist novel, Kylie's Heel, reviewed Fantasy Fiction Novels for Freethinkers:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/creative...

Enjoy! Heathen On!

Robert DAmato

message 184: by Kaleesha (new)

Kaleesha Williams | 9 comments Hope it's not too late to jump in on this thread. I'm new to Goodreads and just poking around a bit. =)

I was raised with some off-the-beaten-path Christianity; early on more so, less as I neared adulthood. But then as an adult I felt into a crowd of Christians (oh the horror!) and so began a 15 year journey of studying the Bible, trying to live by it's every word; didn't eat pork, kept the Saturday Sabbath and other holy days, submitted to my husband and to the idea that my life was not my own; I was a bondslave of Christ. A year and a half ago I laid down the Bible. I had asked question after question after question, always praying and searching for answers, desiring to understand God and serve him better... and I studied my way right out of the Bible, out of religion, out of belief in God. Freedom!! Wow, has it ever been amazing! There is nothing like realizing that your life is your own, that you can do what you want with it. I happened upon a local group of skeptics who met regularly to discuss science and whatnot, so my freedom took an astronomical turn; the universe became my passion. Within six months I was also working my way out of a bad marriage. A few more months and I hooked up with one of my skeptic/atheist friends who had begun to help me understand my own humanity, who challenged me to look deeper at the ways my religious belief had affected me. We are now exploring this life together; it's so wonderful to have a partner who respects me, who considered me every bit his equal or better.

I've chronicled my first year out of religion in a book I will be publishing this week. Don't know if any of you are interested in following that sort of exploration, but if so you can check out my blog at kaleeshawilliams.blogspot.com

KW --homeschool mom of 7, goat herder, gardener, amateur astronomer in rural southeast Missouri

message 185: by Tor (new)

Tor Hershman (TorHershman) | 5 comments Howdy do, fellow Apes.
I suppose the finest method of knowing myself, unless less you're a hot babe THEN the best way is ;-), is to watch me wee YouTube videos.
Dendrology
For minds that was and wane in a more serious strain I'd suggest you begin with "AMEN (hotep IV, that is)."

Best Regards.
Tor

message 186: by Tor (last edited Mar 10, 2014 08:15AM) (new)

Tor Hershman (TorHershman) | 5 comments Howdy do, fellow Apes.

The finest manner, unless you're a hot babe THEN the best way to know myself would be ;-), is to view me wee YouTube (mostly atheistic) videos.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TOR1Hersh...

I'd suggest "AMEN (hotep IV, that is)" for those new to myself.

message 187: by Jim (new)

Jim | 1 comments Hello Fellow Godless,

I'm a grad student in behavioral neuroscience at Kansas State, having recently been enticed here to this entirely too Christian area by my advisor (who is brilliant) from New York. I am only now getting over the shock of the central role of Christendom in the lives of so many people here. It's ridiculous, there are constantly religious propagandists on campus, numerous religious clubs, and more churches than should ever exist in any single state let alone any single town. I'm just looking for the opportunity for discussion and debate with people who have not been brainwash and cognitively inhibited by institutionalized religion.

Well, that's all I've got. Have a good one!

message 188: by Jay (new)

Jay | 1 comments Hello.
I am Jason. I have been an atheist most of my life. I have tried religion, but found myself to always go back to the truth. I hope to meet new people, as well as read great books. I also currently reside in Jersey.

message 189: by Steven (new)

Steven Williams (SteviesMind) | 28 comments I was an atheist from the get go. Even though I am jewish and we belong to a synagogue, I never got the impression that there was a god. So by the time I got bar mitzah, it was clear to me that there was no god. Later as a young adult I got trap in believing, through AA. I even converted to Christianity. But thank goodness I was able to unsnear myself. And I am now a happy atheist.
I consider myself a live and let live atheist, although I will respond to attacks against my values. And I also don't mind sharing my views in friendly discussion or argument.

message 190: by Derek (new)

Derek Snyder | 7 comments I'm Derek, I work for a university in Missouri as both IT staff and adjunct faculty for computer sciences. I'm relatively new to atheism and very new to philosophy. At the recommendation of our department chair of philosophy, I'm currently reading "What's It All About?". I've also recently digested several books by Dawkins and Hitchens, though they aren't strictly philosophy, they did a decent job in generating my interest.

I'm hoping that this group will introduce me to books that will help me along in understanding atheism and philosophy.

message 191: by Steven (new)

Steven Williams (SteviesMind) | 28 comments Derek wrote: "I'm Derek, I work for a university in Missouri as both IT staff and adjunct faculty for computer sciences. I'm relatively new to atheism and very new to philosophy. At the recommendation of our dep..."

Derek wrote: "I'm Derek, I work for a university in Missouri as both IT staff and adjunct faculty for computer sciences. I'm relatively new to atheism and very new to philosophy. At the recommendation of our dep..."

Steven wrote: "I was an atheist from the get go. Even though I am jewish and we belong to a synagogue, I never got the impression that there was a god. So by the time I got bar mitzah, it was clear to me that the..."

Hi Derek. I think a good book for you to explore is Richard Carrier's Sense and Goodness without God: A Defense of Metaphysical Naturalism. It is a fairly nontechnical presentation. i especially appreciated his discussion on compatiblism as a solution to the free will/determinism problem. Oddly enough I had never encountered that explanation before. Hope the book will help

message 192: by Jean (new)

Jean (citrictheblue) | 1 comments I'm Karen, I'm in Montgomery Al. I'm part of the atheist group. If anyone is in the area, we're hosting a rally for the separation of church and state this Saturday, 1pm at the capitol building.

anyone want to come out?
http://montgomeryfreethought.net/rally/

message 193: by Amy (last edited May 22, 2014 08:21AM) (new)

Amy (amyg23) | 1 comments Hi all...like some of you, I am fairly new to Goodreads so just poking around the groups section.
I was raised by a Southern Baptist family of Democrats (I know, right?) that actually travelled to sing and spread the gospel.
Over time, my mom revealed herself as more of a mystic, and my dad remarried a catholic after their divorce. My older brother went to law school, only to practice law for five years then enter the Presbyterian Seminary. Yea, true story.
I had my son baptized in the Methodist church, but through all of my life, religion never really "caught on" with me. I would say prayers, or tell my son that "God loves us", but it was always just out of habit. The story really gets interesting when I started dating a Mormon, and thought "Who in the Hell could believe this stuff?" The question immediately popped into my mind "Well, who can believe any of the other religions?" Thats when my journey started into agnosticism, athiesm, and deism. I love Thomas Paine, with Hitchens being a very close second. Dawkins' work leaves me a little cold, but im working on it. Would love some suggestions about female atheist authors. Anywho, thats me!! Im in the Atlanta area and would love to meet with other like minded individuals!

message 194: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah  | 1 comments Hello, my name is Rebekah. I live in Dayton, OH and am apart of FreethoughtDayton.org. I recently joined goodreads because my kindle updated with the app installed and I was interested. I have a lot of free time and am getting into reading more and more. I look forward to discussions in the future.

message 195: by Dale (new)

Dale Coye | 2 comments This is Dale, and I'm also new to Goodreads. I'm looking forward to the conversation and suggested readings. I teach the Humanities at an online college and am looking for ways to find common ground in this era of unending religious conflict. I have a new book out with that aim in mind that I'll post on the appropriate thread.

message 196: by Ali (new)

Ali Jixer (jixerm4n) | 3 comments well , hi dale , this is Ali Jixer . I checked your shelf and I didn't see Daniel Dennett books . I suggest to take a look at these 2 books

Consciousness Explained
Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon

message 197: by Tom (new)

Tom | 18 comments if you are looking for common ground between atheism and the bible then look no further than The Newer, More English Version

Who needs god when the pentateuch can be explained by science?

message 198: by [deleted user] (new)

Stuart Lorde

Hosanna Sinners - Stuart Lorde here introducing myself as an atheist missionary, and author of the e-book series, Satan's Guide to the Bible: a drive-by tour for the intellectually curious.
I'm new to Goodreads; hope to join discussions and make some new friends.
My stuff's on the author page and the First Revelation is free.
Fell free to contact me and hurl abuse or praise or whatever.
Cheers,
STUART

message 199: by Jim (new)

Jim Vuksic Hello. I'm Jim Vuksic.

Formerly: A Seminarian (4 years) - U.S. Marine (Vietnam Veteran) - Professional Musician (8 years) - H.J. Heinz Company Employee (33-year Management Career) - Husband (35 1/2 years) - in that sequence, more or less.

Currently: Father (4 Adult Children) - Grandfather (4 Grandchildren) - Retiree (13 years) - Widower (9 years) - Published Author (3 years) - in that sequence, more or less.

I look forward to sharing ideas and leaning from the members of this group.

message 200: by [deleted user] (new)

Hosanna Sinners - please check out my author page and video and books and fiendish new ideas like the Reformation Hypothesis and my friends the Diabolical trio of Satan, Hitch and Snikwad and feel free to hurl bricks after you read the free e-book.

STUART LORDE-JARDINE is a recovering Christian.
He was born in the prophetically significant year of 1953: the Julian Year 6666. His nativity took place in Northern Ireland on the 8th of June: precisely the 1,321st anniversary of the death of The Prophet Muhammad (pbuh). His father – while perhaps not strictly a carpenter –did undertake woodwork classes at school, and his mother was once a virgin. According to the testimonial evidence of a long-dead maiden aunt, Stuart’s maternal lineage is descended from both the Bruce and Stuart royal families of Scotland. His paternal lineage is of generations of British clergymen and missionaries who carried Bibles and muskets and incurable diseases to unbaptised heathens throughout the Empire and beyond.
Young Stuart’s family migrated to the former penal colonies now known collectively as Australia. There he was educated at, and became staff member of, several universities: specialising in economic history. At one such institution he undertook religion studies. The trauma of the experience convinced him the world desperately needed his Reformation Hypothesis and Satan’s Guide to the Bible – a drive-by tour for the intellectually curious.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Moral Landscape: How Science Can Determine Human Values (other topics)
The Fabric of Reality: The Science of Parallel Universes--and Its Implications (other topics)
Mennonite in a Little Black Dress: A Memoir of Going Home (other topics)
The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance (other topics)
The Cum Slut and the Cuckold (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Richard Dawkins (other topics)
Christopher Hitchens (other topics)
Bertrand Russell (other topics)
Stuart Lorde (other topics)
Carol Fiore (other topics)
More...