dumas pere discussion

Random Thoughts on The Count

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pandora (last edited Aug 25, 2008 06:59PM) (new)

Pandora  | 73 comments This idea came to me while on the General Disscussion board. Someone commented that Edmond Dantes died in the prison and the Count was born.

I had a different take on it. It seemed to me Edmond Dantes was always alive. But, what happen was he put on the mask of The Count to bury Edmond Dantes and almost killed him.

Fortuntely Merceades, Max, and Haydee brought Edmond Dantes to his senses and Dantes was able to throw off the mask of The Count ie. kill The Count so that as Edmond Dantes he could love Haydee.

PS: Barabossa (did I get that right?) did you see the list of Mary Stewart books I left on Mordant vs The Count?
Any thoughs on this?

message 2: by Old-Barbarossa (last edited Aug 25, 2008 11:35PM) (new)

Old-Barbarossa | 115 comments Checked out the Mary Stewart books, but my backlog is huge at the minute. Apart from anything else I've set myself the Musketeer Challenge and I'm reading a couple of big chunky history books. If/when I get round to them I'll give you a shout.
Haven't read TCOMC for about 5 years, so excuse me if I'm a bit rusty on the finer plot points.
As for Dantes, I never thought of him as being reborn at any time during my initial reading. The whole prison and escape/gestation and birth metaphor is blatant though. I read it and I admit I was rooting for him the whole time, but I just saw him as a man who adapted to his needs and circumstances...OK, maybe in a bit of an extreme way. I saw him as the same man throughout, even though he adopted many guises. The Count just being one of them that stood out a bit due to being more flamboyant.

message 3: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 77 comments Mod
That's a very interesting interpretation, I think you're right. Very thoughtful.