Let's Discuss our Writing! discussion

Writing Tips!

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kayli 500 (new)

Kayli 500 | 266 comments Mod
here are some tips on writing Feel free to add some!

1. start off simple and brainstorm what you could write about, the more topics the merrier or should I say better?

2. choose the easiest topic and then make a five senses chart.

Hear See Taste Feel Smell

3. then write as many details as you can for each sense

4. Then start off with an introduction(attention grabbers are the best) like for example:

Tubing,sledding down hills,making beautiful snow angles is the perfect winter vacation. Here are the reasons why. First, because if you're bored you'll find something to do. Second, you can just be yourself and expressing yourself. Last but not least, because it's fun.

5. then use those details from your senses chart or brainstorm list and use them in the story

6. always end with a conclusion.

7. To end the story don't say the end. Think of other ways to end of your story, first a conclusion must at least be a paragraph long. First, restate what you were talking about or what happened to the characters at the end, be sure to include at least 3 details.then you can just state your moral for the last sentence or hoping something will happen.

like for example:

Maybe Sally's dreams will come true

Laura got married to Ken and they moved into the country and had 2 beautiful children and they're names are Lucas and Grace.

Just remember the next time you visit the mountains think of all the wonderful things you did like the beautiful view at the top of the mountain or the animals you met up there.

message 2: by Kayli 500 (new)

yea tell me what you all think of these tips and feel free to add some tips and if you have questions please ask me and I'll be happy to answer them

message 3: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) Hmmm, avoid being verbs. You can replace them with much more interesting things

here they are: am is are was were be being been

message 4: by Kayli 500 (new)

yea I hate it when people don't use the right spelling of a word.

like for instance: wrong example: I'm going to there house
correction: I'm going to their house

message 5: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ oh yeah that bugs me too. XD

message 6: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) I like the list. One more thing:

Try to avoid "that" as much as possible. 9 x out of 10, the word is not a necessary part of the sentence.

message 7: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ lol. that's one of my worst habits... i use 'that' waaay too much. lol. XD i try to resist though.

message 8: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) I almost literally cringed when you spelled their as there. *shudder*

And I used to have a huge problem with then. Before I stopped using it, but I'm not sure when that was

message 9: by Kayli 500 (new)

yea people should know which spelling to use at which time

there: your going over there

Their: belongs to someone

They're=they are

Your= When it belongs to someone or yourself

You're= You are

message 10: by Brigid ✩ (last edited Aug 25, 2008 02:55PM) (new)

Brigid ✩ i have problems w/ "then", "that", "but", and "and". :P i use them all so much. it's annoying. XD and i use too many ellipses.

message 11: by Kayli 500 (new)

avoid run on sentences.

message 12: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) Oh yeah, I sometimes have trouble with that, but I can't shorten it because it is all relevant and belongs in the same sentence!

message 13: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) try to avoid double words like "that that" or "in in" and so on. Sometimes it's unavoidable, but it can be confusing to the reader.

message 14: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) oh yeah, I hate that! I always try to find a way around it...but the few times I run across a situation like that, I can't.

message 15: by Kayli 500 (last edited Aug 25, 2008 03:04PM) (new)

yea and you want to put " around dialogue. Then try not to use the word said or asked that much because that's boring because you're not actually expressing the character

words you could use other than said:

replied
responded
cried
yelled
screamed
boasted
teased
snickered
laughed
whispered
shouted
agreed
added
disagreed
thought
reasoned
exclaimed
explained

and so on

It's best if you don't use said at all!

words you can use other than asked:

questioned
wondered
puzzled
thought

message 16: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) That's a very good list of words to use instead of said and asked. You are right. They are very boring when said over and over again.

message 17: by Kayli 500 (new)

yes I know

message 18: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) try not to use a lot of cliches. It makes it look like you can't think for yourself, so you use someone else's old raggedy words.

message 19: by Kayli 500 (new)

what are cliches?

message 20: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) like "take your breath away", "snug as a bug on a rug", like phrases that are heard all of the time. I'm trying to think of more, but I am drawing a blank. "On with the show" I'm sorry. Can someone else help me?

message 21: by Kayli 500 (new)

no not really. I don't know any cliches.

message 22: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) Ahh! I hate the beginning "It was a dark and stormy night..."

"Once upon a time..." is actually okay, because not that many people do that, because it's been labled as cliche. But then again, don't do it unless you are joking about it, because then it actually is cliche

message 23: by Kayli 500 (new)

OK. I love Attention Grabbers for the beginning! Like a description of something or one of the 5 senses. I also hate Hello my name is___ This is a story about___

message 24: by Laina (new)

Laina (laineyru) waoh... some great advice here. Can I give some that works for me? When you write the first chapter, do NOT let yourself read it right after. You will lable it as horrible, hopeless, and crumple it up. I know I do.... so just refrain. Until you're done with the whole thing. You have to start somewhere... who cares how bad it is as long as you fix it?

write at least everyday, even if its not your story. Keep your frame of mind that use for writing with you at all times; it helps you see ideas.

be patient. you're not perfect. no one is perfect. perfection is not possilble. even with loads and loads and loads of revision. a piece of work is never finished, but that doens't mean it can't be right.

be true to yourself. don't put something in your writing because you think people will read it if you add that in. keep humor alive. have breaks from intensity. let your characters have voice. don't smother them with morals and perfection. give them faults, but not too many. no one is completely bad.

make your writing real. have experiences and include them. even if it's something as dumb as climing a tree. you're probably thinking: I wouldn't use my dull life in fantasy! but that's what makes fantasy real. dullness. but, balance it out.

i have loads more, but I'll be done for now. awesome discussion!

message 25: by Kayli 500 (new)

Wow Catamorandi I asked people to join this group in every single group I'm in!

message 26: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) WOW!! That's a lot of groups. I bet you get some responses from that.

message 27: by Kayli 500 (new)

I don't know but they'll probably ignore it though!

message 28: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) Also, a good tip.

Take a short break from one of your novels every once in a while. Instead, write a short story or something that isn't really a story but expresses your thoughts.

I find this helpful because it feels really good to finish something, and when you get too wrapped up in novels, which take months, it's sort of depressing because it feels like it is endless and you will never finish anything.

message 29: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ huh. i wish i could do that, but it's impossible for me to write a short story. whenever i write a short story, i always want to make it longer and longer. ARGH. my stupid brain!!!

message 30: by Kayli 500 (new)

sure me too but it's still a bad habit

message 31: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) well, brigid, it doesn't always have to be a short story. It could be more like...a blog. If you want to see what I mean, the first tow "chapters" are my examples to you, things that I wrote on a whim.

http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/2...

The two specifically that I'm talking about are Self Pity, Questions, and Knowledge (which is all one) and Pet Peeves.

message 32: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) Oh, and one key element is that when you write them, it really shows your personality!

message 33: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) all very good tips. another thing. no everything about ur character. wat they look like, all their memories, their fav "foods, drinks, soups, and chowders" (that's from icarly, and soups and chowders r not the same thing!) their fav music, tv shows, radio stations, etc.

message 34: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ unless they live in medieval times, when there were no tv shows or radio stations. XD

message 35: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) lol. Yes, but then their favorite theater shows would work

message 36: by Laina (new)

Laina (laineyru) haha you could still know what they might LIKE if they had the opprotunity to hear it....

message 37: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) XD yes. XDXDXDXD

message 38: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ yeah...

message 39: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1 comments I have read about several authors who spend a lot of time working on back stories for their characters that they never use. Just like some of you have said, I know how my main characters would react to many things. Where they would chose to sit at a bar or concert, how they would behave in certain situations, heck, even picture them at the post office. lol.
I do have a question for all you though! Have any of you been published? I have considered going through a self publishing company, but I would really like to be published the 'traditional' way.
Any pointers on that?!
Amy

message 40: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ ummm well i sent out a query letter to a literary agent like a month or so ago. still haven't heard back. but i'm trying to get published. XD

message 41: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) | 8 comments I am in the process of getting a book published Thru trafford--here in canada. It's along process but you are guaranteed to have your book published unlike the hunt and peck process--It does take awhile to do. www.trafford.com There are different packages you can go with depending on what you need and can afford to pay.

message 42: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) i got a poem published in 3rd grade...

message 43: by Kayli 500 (new)

cool!

message 44: by Laina (new)

Laina (laineyru) sa-weet rachael! I got a short story published in fourth grade, and hten last year i had a poem published. haha... i just love bragging about that because really it was nothing special... tee hee hee

message 45: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) lolz. and i submitted something else to the wisconsin state journal. they didn't publish it though.

message 46: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) i just submitted a poem in a contest. *nervous* do u guys think it will win?
****************Night******************
A great crimson orb setting,
The heavens are a plum.
In the west, the sun is setting,
And twilight has just begun.
A pearl is shining in the sky,
Surrounded by diamonds.
The moon is rising up so high,
A gleaming star upstairs runs.
A purring tiger lowers herself,
A tame star killing cold.
My little cat, my little Elf,
Sleeps while the fire grows old.
A bell rings, and then another,
Echoing through the forest.
The birds with song tell each other
That now is the time for rest.
I watch this all and smile.
Life goes on and on.
But now it's time for me to rest,
In slumber awaiting the dawn.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

It's the most beautifully written poem I have ever read, I think and pray it will win. It's absolutely marvelous.

message 48: by Kayli 500 (new)

Yeah it is marvelous