The Evergreen State College discussion

free schools & free school ideology - what's it all about?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gea (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:50PM) (new)

Gea | 4 comments Mod
I just finished reading the book, Free Schools, Free People (Ron Miller); it traces the history of the free-school movement, what the free school movement stands for, and some of the pioneers of the movement.

I think that the free school movement made a big mark on the way learning/education/schools are understood. Yet, very few people - including those who are in the field of education - know much about 'alternative' ways of learning (IE learning outside of public schools) such as free schools. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Or, for those specifically in the education field, how much did/does your 'training' address these kinds of issues?

message 2: by Brimate (new)

Brimate | 2 comments i plan on teaching high school, so i hope to do tons of research on this subject. i've heard that evergreen is getting less alternative and more standard, which seems true in my experience there.

message 3: by P_Racemosa (last edited Sep 28, 2010 01:53PM) (new)

P_Racemosa (Tzu-Jan) | 3 comments Free skool was my high school. Givin the nature of free school, its a great way to explore different teaching methods. I think its ironic that "public school" is so far off the mark. Evergreen passes...but it was certainly not free. It is a shame Evergreen is becoming more standard as it really has been a harbor for those who wish to truly learn, explore and connect ideas. Though its give and take has always had a wave pattern to it....it has historically pushed back at mainstream pressure to conform to what has been proven to be counterproductive to its goals...aka Mainstream College.
The culture of fear though is becoming very active ...tough times ahead for the survival of successful educational leaning facilities...