Home Schoolers & Life Learners discussion

Free Schools and Free School Ideology - what is it all about?

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gea (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:50PM) (new)

Gea | 5 comments Mod
I just finished reading the book, Free Schools, Free People (Ron Miller); it traces the history of the free-school movement, what the free school movement stands for, and some of the pioneers of the movement.

I think that the free school movement made a big mark on the way learning/education/schools are understood. Yet, very few people - including those who are in the field of education - know much about 'alternative' ways of learning (IE learning outside of public schools) such as free schools. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Or, for those specifically in the education field, how much did your training address these kinds of issues?

message 2: by Randy (new)

Randy (progressivepedagogies) | 1 comments I would agree that very few people in the field of education are aware of free schooling and alternative schooling. There is a vast chasm that seperates traditional schooling and the free schooling movements and ideology. Our public school system, as well as the majority of private schools are formulated in a narrow realm of cannonized educational thought. As a public school principal and former teacher I am frequently amazed by the lack of exposure that educators have had to the free schooling and alternative schooling literature and pedegogy. In the vast majority of education preparation programs these ideas are absent. I earned my educational wings through the Antioch M.Ed program and the Keene State College Educational Leadership program. These two programs are atypical in that they include such thought.