Charlaine Harris Book/Show Group discussion

Sookie Stackhouse Books > Dead and Gone (spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 394 (394 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by Angie (new)

Angie Looks like Harris wrote a little about it in her blog, here is what she wrote:

I finished DEAD AND GONE for the second time this week. The first ending simply sucked, and a late addition to the characters had to be inserted throughout the book, and another character had to be shored up and given more page time . . . oh, decisions, decisions. Maybe the reason I hate to make decisions in everyday life is because I have to make so many professionally. When my dear first readers (Toni Kelner and Dana Cameron) give me the green light, off DEAD AND GONE will go to my editor at Ace, Ginjer Buchanan, and then the book will begin wending its way through the production process. In the meantime, the first version of the book (hopefully) has given the cover artist, Lisa Desimini, enough material to start her magic.

Everywhere I go, I hear comments on the covers. Every now and then, I find a protester who says that the covers look like children’s book cover art and are therefore deceptive, considering the contents of the books. And every now and then, I hear from a reader who says a bookstore put them in the children’s section because of the naïve cover art. But on the whole readers seem to be enthusiastic about the style and quality of Lisa’s work, and I must say that I’m delighted with the covers, myself. The consistent elements do a lot to make the books stand out as a series. I always have a cover framed, and they look very attractive grouped together in my hall. (I’m running out of hall, though.)

This is my shout-out to Lisa, to let her know publicly that I think her covers have done a lot to sell my books.

message 2: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) I have never seen her books shelved in the kids' section. The covers are kind of kid-like but I wouldn't mistake them for kids' books.

message 3: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie | 60 comments Me either,
The cover of Definatly Dead was the very reason I picked up her book in the first place. I had never heard of her at all and now I have read everything she has written except about 3 of Teagarden series. I love the covers.

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) | 182 comments I love her covers. I think that's what made me pick up the books in the first place. They don't seem kiddie at all . IMO they let you know that it's going to be a fun and lighthearted read.Sure it has so serious moments but those don't over shadow the more hilarious parts in the books. I think the covers fit perfectly.

message 5: by Renee (last edited Aug 25, 2008 07:47PM) (new)

Renee Reed | 8 comments I have to agree, I like all the covers as well. This may sound crazy, but I actually like book covers that are "cartoony" looking. I hate when books use hot guys on the cover or real people because then that's what my brain imagines the character looking like that and I would rather form my own interpretation of the character. I know, I'm weird.

message 6: by Ranata (last edited Aug 26, 2008 11:38PM) (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) I hate the covers with the hot guys and their shirt is bellowing in wind with his long blonde hair. Bugs me to no end. I really think I would have to put a book cover over them if I ever decide I'd like to read those.

message 7: by Phoebebb (new)

Phoebebb lol I have to agree Ranata, but those books usually end up being romance novels and I won't touch those with a ten foot poll.

message 8: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) I won't either. I want to read J.R. Ward and others but I need more story than romance. Romance but around the story is more my thing. I still dont' get why I liked Twilight so much..LOL

message 9: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nlojeda) | 471 comments Mod
The Sookie on the covers sometimes look different from one another as does the male character so that threw me off once. I love the sparkliness of the covers. I wonder if Lisa her cover artist has read any of the books. If not, she needs too. I thing the covers could better reflect the characters.

message 10: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) I like the glittery parts of the cover as well. We're such girls. LOL

message 11: by April (new)

April | 26 comments Chapter 1 has been posted on her web site. Going to read it right now!!

message 12: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 68 comments Thanks for the heads up!

message 13: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) Thanks for the heads up, April.

message 14: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) So maybe I've got amnesia like Eric but why does Sookie dislike Clancy so much? I don't remember when they introduced him, just the references that Sookie makes to him "not being her favorite vampire."

message 15: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 68 comments Clancy was the Vamp that was kidnapped during the "Witch War". At the beginning of ATD, Sookie is at a meeting with a bunch of Vamps talking about the conference, and Clancy is there. She said that he was just about killed during the war and that as he'd recovered he'd gotten bitter and snappish. She went on to say that he'd never hurt her, but she was pretty wary about being around him. Other than that, I don't remember him even being mentioned in the rest of that book or in FDTW.

message 16: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) Thanks, Kelley Anne! It was driving me crazy trying to remember.

message 17: by Angie (last edited Dec 06, 2008 12:17PM) (new)

Angie Thanks April! I love the cover for this book!

description

message 18: by Angie (new)

Angie I wonder what Sookie is holding?

message 19: by Jess (new)

Jess | 116 comments Doesn't it look like the pillow that ring bearers carry in wedding ceremonies???

message 20: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Jess wrote: "Doesn't it look like the pillow that ring bearers carry in wedding ceremonies???"

I think it looks like a velvety-type box (like a jewelry box or something), with a tassel hanging from the clasp.

Wasn't there some mention of a jewelry box in Hadley's stuff?

message 21: by Jess (new)

Jess | 116 comments hmm... I think there may have been a mention of a jewelery box. Isn't that where Hadley put the things that the queen gave her?

message 22: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Jess wrote: "hmm... I think there may have been a mention of a jewelery box. Isn't that where Hadley put the things that the queen gave her?"

I think so...

message 23: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) I'm wondering if the dark haired vamp is Bill or could it perhaps be the new King(?) who just came into town. The one that Sookie saved.

message 24: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Lori wrote: "I'm wondering if the dark haired vamp is Bill or could it perhaps be the new King(?) who just came into town. The one that Sookie saved."

I'm pretty sure it's Bill. We won't know until we get to read it, but I would think that they would make a new character look different, even if it's just on the cover.

message 25: by Angie (new)

Angie Interesting Lori!

message 26: by Jess (new)

Jess | 116 comments That is an interesting idea. If that's the case, I hope they don't make him her love interest as well. The story needs a brand new guy for Sookie. Like, "I just moved here from out of town" dude. lol

message 27: by Lori (last edited Dec 14, 2008 11:00AM) (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) I tried to compare the the dark haired vamp on this cover with the ones on the other and it's hard to say. The hair is not exactly the same but that's doesn't mean anything. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I hate waiting!

message 28: by Jess (new)

Jess | 116 comments Lori I completely agree. I mean I wasn't thinking about the book coming out because I've been reading so many other series, and then she released the damn cover! and now I'm reminded about the book and the fact that it doesn't come out until May. How annoying! lol

message 29: by Angie (new)

Angie I read this:

FROM DEAD TO WORSE is the title that was decided on by the publisher.

DEAD AND GONE is Charlaine's pick for Sookie# 9. I would not call it just another "dead" phrase. If Charlaine picked it, you can believe it means something to her and will tie into the book in some way.

So maybe it is not Bill on the cover.. maybe Bill is Dead and Gone!!!!

message 30: by Jess (new)

Jess | 116 comments hmm Angie - do you mean that Bill is still a vampire and he is just missing from the story? or do you mean he is finally dead and therefore gone. lol

message 31: by Angie (new)

Angie I mean finally dead and gone forever! I will be sad... :(

message 32: by Jess (new)

Jess | 116 comments I would not be all that sad lol

message 33: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) LOL Jess. I wouldn't be all that sad either. Not a big Bill fan.

message 34: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 68 comments lol, I can't see her getting rid of Bill, but I wouldn't mind if she did.

Every time that I see that new cover, it reminds me of those movies that show an old fashioned duel. You have someone standing in the middle, holding a box with 2 pistols in it. The 2 people facing off eachother before they are going to turn, walk, turn, fire! I don't know, that's probably completely wrong with what the cover is supposed to be, but that's just what I think every time I see that!

message 35: by Jess (new)

Jess | 116 comments It definitely looks like some sort of face off. Maybe they end up fighting over Sookie or something. But she doesn't look very happy in the cover, that can't mean anything good.

message 36: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) I hope neither of them dies. I don't like Bill but he's an intergral part of the story, being Sookie's first everything. I hope it's somebody irrelevant. LOL. I doubt it though. Grasping at straws!

message 37: by Christa (new)

Christa (christadethrose) | 3 comments I have ADD and that being so, the shiny glitter attracted me. I'm glad. :D

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

I thought that the cover was supposed to be Eric and Bill facing off. I thought it might mean that they were going to compete for Sookie. Seems like the last book set up for that, because Bill starts showing up and declaring his love and saying he hopes she returns to him. And Eric remembers everything and starts calling her lover. If there is a showdown, I hope Eric wins.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, but he calls her lover a lot in the last book. Or maybe he is just in the book a lot more, so I get to hear it more. Either way, he is delicious. And, I agree that there will be a Bill/Eric showdown.

message 40: by Evelynn (new)

Evelynn Passino (evpassino) | 131 comments Hopefully Sookie chooses and they don't have to duel. It would be epic, but I'm afraid if it came to blows Bill would have no chance. Although, Bill seemed like he was stewing in FDTW, so maybe he's planning something.

message 41: by Evelynn (new)

Evelynn Passino (evpassino) | 131 comments The more I think about it, bill wouldn't plan an overthrow, I don't think he wants eric's job. He would rather skulk off into the darkness than start a fight. But I also can't see why eric would start anything with bill because it wouldn't be a challenge and bill isn't a threat.

I'm sure Harris won't disappoint us.

message 42: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 193 comments Its true Bill really doesn't have any desire to have Eric's job. But remember Vamp politics don't always make sense. With the new guy in charge, perhaps one of them will be taking an out of character action to protect Sookie.

message 43: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 193 comments No, I didn't think they'd want to be in charge. But just because the new King gave her protection doesn't mean some manipulation couldn't happen. As I said, Vamp politics are worse than humans.

message 44: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 68 comments I'm counting the days! I am so excited for this new book!

message 45: by Angie (new)

Angie I can't believe it is almost time!

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) | 182 comments I just ordered mine from SFBC it doesn't ship until the 5th. I can't wait!

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Erin- Your husband rocks! I am so excited about this book and very glad that I don't have any kids to interrupt. Unfortunately, I'm back in school on the 6th and it comes out on the 5th. I have it pre-ordered so I have no idea what day it will actually arrive on. Hopefully, it will show up on the 5th or before.

message 48: by Angie (new)

Angie Once the book comes out this thread will include spoilers! Guess I will change that on the first entry so people know!

message 49: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nlojeda) | 471 comments Mod
So excited for this book. Need to preorder STAT!

message 50: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Nicole wrote: "So excited for this book. Need to preorder STAT!"

I just got an email saying my book was on the way! Oh joy!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8