Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

Time well spent

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:46PM) (new)

Kim (kimbers81) Ok so I know I lose track of time in bookstores from time to time. So whats the longest time spent in a bookstore?

message 2: by Rachel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:46PM) (new)

Rachel well, sitting down to read probably two to three hours. just browsing for books and such, probably two to three hours! :)

message 3: by Caroline (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:46PM) (new)

Caroline I think the longest time I've spent for pleasure is around 2 hours (the real longest time would be around 11 hours, but that's because I worked an 11-hour shift. Haha)--and it was that long because I was at a huge used bookstore that's about 3 stories big. I used to spend a lot more time browsing than I do now, especially when good bookstores were a completely new concept to me as a kid. Before we had a B&N move into our neighborhood, the only other bookstore we had was Deseret Books and Waldenbooks...both tiny and definitely inadequate. You could see the door from any spot in the store, since they were both itty-bitty shops in a mall.

message 4: by SassyMama (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:50PM) (new)

SassyMama (sweet-sassycomcastnet) | 11 comments I always get caught up in a bookstore. My husband hates to shop with me, especially if I say I just have to pick up one book at the bookstore. I end up being in their for at least 1-2 hours (if not longer) and this is even when I have a list. I can't help but browse and see what's new, what else I might want...I also check and see what's new for my kids. I don't think I could work in a bookstore...I would probably never come home on time...lol...and not much work would get done for all my browsing and reading :-)

message 5: by Bricoleur (David) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:50PM) (new)

Bricoleur  (David) Soul (bricoleur) | 5 comments After a 6 hour drive to my favorite 'destination' bookstore (one of the best in the world; Powell's in Portland Oregon) I will spend the time needed!

I think between the main store and their technical bookstore (about 2 blocks away) I have spent as long as 6 hours...

message 6: by Kim (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:51PM) (new)

Kim (kimbers81) I agree I dont think I would ever come home on time and also dont know how much of a check I would bring home?

message 7: by Caroline (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:51PM) (new)

Caroline Well, I'll admit the first year of working in a bookstore I was really awful about getting distracted and blowing a lot of my paycheck... Since then I've gotten really good about viewing them as "work" when I'm working, so I no longer browse much. Still buy entirely too many of them, of course, but not nearly as bad as it used to be! I've noticed that my co-workers either learn some self-control, or just don't last very long since they can't pay their bills with all the books they buy.

message 8: by Llama (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:52PM) (new)

Llama Castillo | 34 comments I believe it was close to 7 hours that I have spent browsing in a book store. I just lose track of time and I have so many favorite sections they all require my time. I don't know if I could survive working in one though, well, I don't think my bank account could, even if I had a discount. Yeah, that would not be good.

message 9: by Julie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:52PM) (new)

Julie (jooliaaah) many times i have spent 6 - 8 hours in a bookstore. when i lived in denver one of my favorite activities on a cold, snowy day was to hole up in the tattered cover with a good book and hot cup of tea. i'm not one to pull a book of a shelf, read it and put it back. i would feel a twinge of guilt for the person who might buy the book after i've read it. it just doesn't feel right to me. so, i'd either bring a book i was currently reading or i'd buy one there to read. either way, i'd go home with more books for my collection and that's a good thing.

message 10: by whichwaydidshego? (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:54PM) (new)

whichwaydidshego? (whichwaydidshego) Both customers AND staff have thought I worked at the store because I'm there so long. I got kicked out once because I didn't realize the store had closed HOURS earlier and they were locking up! That time I was in the children's section. Go figure.

Seriously, it is a force of will to stay away from bookstores because I loose all sense of time - and my net worth - in them. I don't know if that makes it worse, though, because then, when said will crumbles, I drink the whole well dry for the thirst.

Hours and hours and hours and hours, in short.

message 11: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:54PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Three or four hours. There is nothing I love more than a blustery day spent in a bookstore with something warm and yummy to drink while browsing every single shelf at a leisurely pace. Then I sit down with one of my selections if an armchair is free and spend the afternoon.

I cannot go to a bookstore with anyone, even another bibliophile, because I feel guilty for taking so long and then I feel rushed.

I am so obsessed with bookstores that I don't think I'll ever be finished with reading everything in my home library. I buy them faster than I can read them. I usually buy six to eight per week and I only read an average of two per week.

message 12: by Tiffany (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:56PM) (new)

Tiffany | 14 comments I'll second the previous comment about spending a good portion of a day at Powell's (indeed, a "'destination' bookstore"). A friend and I decided we wanted to go to all of the Powell's stores, and after a 3-ish hour drive, we spent roughly 8 hours driving from store to store and shopping.

message 13: by Seizure Romero (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:57PM) (new)

Seizure Romero You know what hurts, Tiffany? I'm sitting right here in Redmond, just a brief side-trip down 405 instead of 5, and you didn't stop by & pick me up on your way to Powell's. That just hurts. Don't think that because we've never actually met or communicated in any way that you're off the hook. You really hurt my feeling.

Glad I got that out. I think I'll be ok *sniff*.

This is cheating, of course, but when I owned a used book shop I'd pull the occasional all-nighter. Every once in a while I take a road trip from the Seattle area to San Diego. I try to schedule about 4 hours in Powell's (Portland). Yeah, right. They serve coffee & carbohydrates, so if you can find a place to hide overnight it's not like you have to leave until scurvy or anemia start to kick in (are bagels iron-fortified?). Inevitably, my attempts to leave before rush-hour fail, and I decide I'd rather sit in the Rose Room than in traffic (for the uninitiated, Powell's identifies different rooms--some larger than other bookstores--with colors). I don't think I've spent a full 8 hours there, but I know I've cleared 6 1/2.

message 14: by Tiffany (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:58PM) (new)

Tiffany | 14 comments I apologize for not offering to pick you up on our way to Powell's. Maybe I thought you were busy that day. If I had known you were available, and knew you existed, I might have thought to invite you. Please accept my sincere apology. Sorry!!

:)

message 15: by Seizure Romero (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:00PM) (new)

Seizure Romero Accepted. I don't want any hard feelings between us, and I think I WAS busy that day, alphabetizing my hot sauce collection or something like that. Any way, after this weekend I'm not sure if I actually do exist. If you find out please let me know, ok?

Thanks.

message 16: by J.R. (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:01PM) (new)

J.R. Randle (jrrandle) | 14 comments While in business school, we would sometimes get out early and I would have to wait for my husband to get off of work. Most times I would make a quick run over to Borders to read the latest Stephen King, or Kimberla Lawson Roby novel. After examining the bookmarks, calendars, journals and new bookends we're looking at at least 2-3hours easily, depending on the day.

message 17: by Rachael (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:01PM) (new)

Rachael | 23 comments I think 3 hours. That's because I went there for a book signing and my friend and I were trying to kill time before hand.

message 18: by ScottK (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:07PM) (new)

ScottK Uhmmmmm considering that I don't look at the time until I leave the bookstore I would have to hazard a guess..... perhaps more than 3 hours ....on more than one occasion. If My partner knows I am going to the bookstore and I say I will be right back he just laughs and laughs .

message 19: by Gluhpy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:07PM) (new)

Gluhpy Memee (gluhp) | 1 comments When I was in Perth, I was totally free on Saturday. So I spent all day in the bookstores.