Lamphere Honor Students discussion

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelly (last edited Aug 27, 2008 09:58AM) (new)

Kelly | 3 comments Rebecca
By: Daphne Du Maurier
Review by: Kelly Lentini

When Daphne Du Maurier was a child, she lived in a great mansion. This mansion had butlers and many rooms. When Du Maurier was a young adult, she found an empty mansion with a winding driveway, gardens, woods, and a beach with two coves and a cottage. She loved that mansion, and in Rebecca combined the mansion in which she lived in during her childhood and the empty mansion, into Manderly. Manderly was the mansion where Rebecca, Maxim, and Maxim’s unnamed second wife lived.
Rebecca was set near London in England. Almost all events took place at Manderly and its grounds. Manderly was secluded from everything else and had spacious grounds. Rebecca, Maxim DeWinter’s first wife, mysteriously died at the lake by Manderly. Maxim’s second wife loved Manderly, but was uneasy there because of Rebecca’s mysterious death and the thought that Maxim still loved Rebecca. It was at Manderly’s lake where one of Rebecca’s cousins uncovered some of the secrets of Rebecca’s death.
The theme of Rebecca is that as a person, you grow and change. In the beginning of Rebecca, Maxim’s second wife was very timid, shy, and insecure. She thought that she wasn’t worthy of Maxim’s time. During the end of the book, she got stronger and became less shy, and she knew that she wasn’t unworthy of Maxim. She knew that she had to stay with Maxim and be strong when the mystery was unraveling.
There were several conflicts in Rebecca. Maxim’s second wife was battling with the concept that Maxim still loved Rebecca. She was battling to be stronger and grow up. Maxim’s second wife was hated by the housekeeper, Mrs. Danvers. Maxim’s second wife never spoke out and expressed her feelings. Maxim and his new wife had conflicts with Rebecca’s cousin, who tried to find out the secret of Rebecca’s death.
Daphne Du Maurier wanted the challenge of writing Rebecca without ever mentioning Maxim’s second wife’s name. Daphne was at a loss to figure out what she was going to name the unnamed second wife. By not naming her, Daphne thought that doing this was a way of making her look lesser of a character than Rebecca. Daphne Du Maurier’s writing style kept me interested throughout the whole book, even though it was written in the late 1930s. It was refreshing to read how people talked and lived their lives back in the late 1930s.
The theme of Rebecca means that everyone can change and grow. I used to be really shy when I was little, but know I am growing out of that shyness. Rebecca is worth reading because it has a little bit of mystery, a little bit of suspense, and a little bit of romance. You can also see how Maxim’s second wife grows from being timid and shy, to strong and determined. This book was a great book that kept me interested the whole way through. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes mystery, suspense, and romance.

message 2: by Molly (new)

Molly Kosnak | 3 comments This sounds like a great book! I love mystery and romance!

message 3: by Alivia (new)

Alivia | 3 comments Great revieww. :)
I was totally going to read this book for summer reading, but I was told it was like, insanely boring.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy Guzynski (Guzynski) | 15 comments Mod
Great review.

message 5: by Lauren Pereny (new)

Lauren Pereny | 3 comments That was an amazing book. I read it for my review also. I really, really liked it.