Lamphere Honor Students discussion

Summer Reading Reviews > The Color Purple

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karla (new)

Karla Maradiaga | 1 comments The Color Purple by Alice Walker is the kind of book that causes one to stop and think “this is really how the world functioned at one point in time?” We’ve all heard horrendous stories about abused adolescents, but following the life of Celie gave me a whole different detailed perspective of life in the 1930s in the eyes of an African American girl who could have been my peer. The fact that a man who is supposedly her father sexually abuses Celie at the age of 14 is agony at the least. However, this fact was life for many girls in the southern United States at this time. These girls were not only sexually abused, but physically and mentally abused as well. This abuse was shown not only towards Celie, but towards all the women in the novel. The character in this book that I idolize is Sofia, Harpo’s first wife. She is the one who comes back with a fighting fist when a man attempts to control her in any way. Sofia inspires Celie as well. Although at first Celie is quizzical as to why Sofia reacts the way she does to a man’s abuse, she soon discovers that every person has the right to be treated well.
Throughout the book Celie also discovers that not all women are treated as badly as her and her acquaintances. The mayor’s wife, who is white, lives a like of luxury compared to her life of labor. In this truth, Alice Walker shows the treatment of African Americans in Georgia in the early 1900s. Another example of African culture is found an ocean away in Africa, where Celie’s sister Nettie is a missionary. Nettie’s nephew falls in love with Tashi, an African girl who undergoes painful rituals of facial scarring. Tashi is ashamed of her scars and fears going anywhere outside of her native land. This culture is not only expressed in the plot of the book, but in the voice as well. Most of the book is written in Celie’s words, which are idiosyncratic. Celie doesn’t have an education so she spells incorrectly and is often also grammatically incorrect.
I would recommend this book to anyone who likes to read misfortune with an improved ending, anyone who wants to experience and learn from the past. The Color Purple informed me and emotionally touched me. It taught me that only you can stand up for yourself, and that the best way to respect yourself is to believe in yourself. In life only the internally strong prevail. This book provoked questions. When I am confronted with a problem, will I be Celie, and go with what life gives me? Or will I be Sofia and fight for what I know I deserve? For me the answer is clear, but the only way for you to find out is to experience this tragedy yourself.

message 2: by Emily "Rubes" (new)

Emily "Rubes" | 3 comments Your review definitley breaks my heart, but I like that you gave some facts along with it. I really want to read this now. :]