The incredible, nameless bookclub! discussion

Snowflower and the Secret Fan

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:46PM) (new)

Jennifer | 2 comments I'm interested in what Erin thought after finishing the book. If you haven't finished the book yet... SPOILER ALERT....
I'm still stuck on the very end, where all storylines get summed up in a few sentenses. Lily says that she insistes her eldest grandson marry Snowflower's granddaughter. I get why, but even though this happens in less than a paragraph, it bugs me that after everything she's just repeating what was done to her. And she defends it with something like "What can they do, I'm Lady Lu." So she's gotten to a point where instead of following orders, she is giving them, but she's doing all the same things that led her to the life she has. Nothing changes! I do understand that in thier world, her only power is familial, but it still bothers me. AND other thought... she mentions her life with her husband and says that that's for man's writing, kinda of putting down this story of hers because it's "women's." I guess it's not surprising with the history that the character devalues herself, but I guess (personally) I would have liked it better if she learned something in addition to forgiveness.

message 2: by Santos (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:46PM) (new)

Santos | 7 comments Mod
As I thought about the book I realized that perhaps, she hadn't even learned about forgiveness. Was she tryign to do right by snowflower or was she trying to assuage her own guilt? Hmmmm... I have to say I was surprised by how her character turned out.

message 3: by Diane (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:02PM) (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Hi! It saddened me how Snow Flower and Lily's friendship fell apart after, as theirs was such a deep and special friendship. It made me reflect on similar losses in my own personal life...and how things can be misconstrued and relationships never repaired. On this level it was very personal to me. Reading about the footbinding tradition was pretty tough to get through.

message 4: by Tisha (new)

Tisha this book had me wondering at the end, who was ruined the friendship. Having the book portrayed from Lily's perspective naturally leads you to see her point of view.. however after finishing in retrospect you can glimpse how it must have all seemed to Snow Flower.Good book...i didnt expect that thought provoking end.

and no, i dont think she actually did learn about forgiveness.