The Lincoln Lawyer (Mickey Haller, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #17) The Lincoln Lawyer discussion

Is this a good book?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 486) (486 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

message 1: by ✿Sandra (new)

✿Sandra I was doing one of my favorite hobbies, browsing through Goodreads, and I discovered this book. I looked up the movie that is currently out with Matthew McConaughey and discovered that it is based on this book. I have seen the trailer for the movie, and it looks really good to me. I was just wondering what people had to say about the book. Let me know what you thought. Thanks

Jennifer I liked this book. But I haven't read anything by this author that I didn't like. He's a favorite in the mystery/police procedural genre.

message 3: by ✿Sandra (new)

✿Sandra Thanks for the information. Have you read a lot of books by him?

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate I liked it!

Heather Yes! I read it years ago and it's a quick, fast paced read. By the way, saw the movie and it's GREAT!

message 6: by ✿Sandra (new)

✿Sandra I saw the movie this past weekend, and I also thought it was great. I usually read books before I see the movie, but I went with my niece and she picked it. I will probably still read the book, because I liked the movie so much. I haven't read anything by this author, but after watching the movie, I am very curious now.

Beth This is the last book I read. I reviewed it on Goodreads. You can read my review. It was pretty good. I gave it four stars, although I debated giving it three.

Jeana I thought the book was plot thick (the writing was just so-so which I think is typical for lawyer-type books), but I think it would translate well to the big screen. I'm seeing the movie tonight and it's been getting good reviews!

Judy I liked it, but of course while reading I was picturing the main character looking like Matthew McConaughey. It was a fun read with good, off-the-wall characters which make it fun. Hoping the author does a series with just Mickey Haller. Give it a try, quick read too.

Beth I believe the author IS doing a Mickey Haller series.

message 11: by Judy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Judy Thanks for the heads up Beth. I'll check it out.

message 12: by ZeN (last edited Apr 01, 2011 10:43AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

ZeN Theres already three books in the Mickey Haller series: Lincoln Lawyer, The Brass Verdict, and The Reversal.

A fourth is due out in four days called The Fifth Witness.

Roger Yes, it is a good book. Read it. Right. Now.

Helen Allen Just about anything Connelly writes is excellent. Other great mystery writer is Erica Spindler.

message 15: by ✿Sandra (new)

✿Sandra Thanks for all of the great feedback. I love trying out new authors!

Delaney Diamond Sandra, I wanted to add my two cents. I really enjoyed this book. Here's my review: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/79...

I'm looking forward to the movie.

EDantes Michael Connelly is great. I stopped being able to wait for the paperbacks about 4 books ago. And Lincoln Lawyer is one of the best that he has written.

message 18: by Ben (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ben i think connelly writes better than patterson. he's the best in the genre. Lincoln Lawyer? it's a great book. a great movie as well...

Beth Ben wrote: "i think connelly writes better than patterson. he's the best in the genre. Lincoln Lawyer? it's a great book. a great movie as well..."

On Patterson: his books bore me.

message 20: by Judy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Judy I swear Patterson has others write his books. How about a writing class somewhere, Patterson sets the stage and lets others write and he tweaks it to fit him.

Beth Judy wrote: "I swear Patterson has others write his books. How about a writing class somewhere, Patterson sets the stage and lets others write and he tweaks it to fit him."

I never thought of that; I'll bet you're right.

message 22: by Abby (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abby yes, this book is a good read. You will not want to put it down to find out how it ends. Can't wait to see the movie.

Chuck Herrera Definately a book to read - I'm hooked on the series! Terrific cast of characters.

message 24: by Nike (last edited Apr 21, 2011 03:05AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nike Chillemi Sandra wrote: "I was doing one of my favorite hobbies, browsing through Goodreads, and I discovered this book. I looked up the movie that is currently out with Matthew McConaughey and discovered that it is based..."

This is a very good book and the movie is really good too. Read the book first.

message 25: by Nike (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nike Chillemi Sandra wrote: "I saw the movie this past weekend, and I also thought it was great. I usually read books before I see the movie, but I went with my niece and she picked it. I will probably still read the book, b..."

Definitely read the book. The movie is good, very, very good and true to the book. But the book is better.

message 26: by ✿Sandra (new)

✿Sandra Nike wrote: Definitely read the book. The movie is good, very, very good and true to the book. But the book is better.

I think a book is almost always better than the movie, but I do look forward to watching the movies that are from books and seeing what they did with them. I find it is better for me to not read the book right before the movie comes out because then I make too many comparisons.

Here are some other movies coming out this summer, in case you read any of these books and are interested in the movie - Something Borrowed, 5/6; Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 2, 7/15; Snow Flower and The Secret Fan, 7/15; Sarah's Key, 7/22; and The Help 8/12.

message 27: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin I absolutely loved this book!! An hour after I finished it I ran out to see the movie and buy the 2nd book in the series. The main character Micky Haller is very likeable and I can't wait to get a start on "The Brass Verdict"

message 28: by Mike (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mike I haven't seen the movie (yet), but I have read this book (and the sequel "The Brass Verdict"). Both books are fantastic! In fact, the second is even better than the first. By all means read them. He just wrote another Mickey Haller novel (The Fifth Witness?) so you have a trilogy to look forward to. His other books (several of which I've read) are also very good. Start with "The Black Echo" for the first book in the Harry Bosch series.

~JenRen~ Judy wrote: "I liked it, but of course while reading I was picturing the main character looking like Matthew McConaughey. It was a fun read with good, off-the-wall characters which make it fun. Hoping the aut..."

Hi Judy!
Connelly has done 2-3 other books featuring Mickey Haller. The newest is titled "The Fifth Witness", and is excellent!
I've read Connelly for years, and have never been disappointed with his work. Harry Bosch is one of my favorite detectives, I just love how his mind works :)

For those who have seen the movie, but not read the books, Mickey does not resemble McConaughey at all...but that's Hollywood for ya - he is a great actor.

message 30: by Bob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bob M. Sandra wrote: "I was doing one of my favorite hobbies, browsing through Goodreads, and I discovered this book. I looked up the movie that is currently out with Matthew McConaughey and discovered that it is based..."

I enjoyed the book a great deal. Connelly writes the police/detective/legal mystery so well. Hard-boiled, yet with some feeling.

Georgia I really enjoyed the audio book - it was fast paced with interesting characters; likewise pictured Matthew McConaughey as Mickey Haller & want to see the movie. This is the 1st book I've read by Connelly and wanted more Mickey! I started the 5th Witness but IMO missed the mark big time - so I think I'll check out the Brass Verdict.

Mary Alice Sexton Just finished it and really enjoyed it.

Chris Jeana wrote: "I thought the book was plot thick (the writing was just so-so which I think is typical for lawyer-type books), but I think it would translate well to the big screen. I'm seeing the movie tonight a..."

The Lincoln Lawyer is the first of 5 books with Mickey. The Brass Verdict has both Mickey and Harry Bosch. All his books are good reads!

Amy Wilder My first Michael Connelly and I loved it - he's a masterful storyteller, you keep reinterpreting the information you have over and over again, looking for answers until finally towards the end you just race for the finish (or I did). Thoroughly enjoyable and it's just not easy to do this.

message 35: by Nike (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nike Chillemi Sandra wrote: "Nike wrote: Definitely read the book. The movie is good, very, very good and true to the book. But the book is better.

Sandra, I think a book is almost always better than the movie, but I do look forwa..."

I agree. Either read the book way before or way after the movie.

Shirley Yes - Lincoln Lawyer is a good book - one of the best from Michael Connely

message 37: by Joe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joe Like the protagonist, I worked as a private criminal defense attorney -- mostly from my car. While I had an office, it was basically a place to store the files and hold the occasional meetings. I can tell you that this is one of my favorite lawyer portrayals ever. The book is not flawless. It relies on a couple of old tropes but is good story overall.

Sharon I liked the book..fast paced mysterys are always a good read...had trouble picturing Matthew McConaughey as Mickey Haller. Like both Patterson and Connelly. Haven't read a Harry Bosch for a while. Think its time.

message 39: by Melissa (last edited May 26, 2011 11:14AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Melissa I really enjoyed the book. I like that he's just a little bit sleezy, but still an over-all nice guy. Good, fast-paced story. I'm a Connelly fan and I'm glad he has a alternate series to the Bosch series (which I also love!).

Malina Vasquez I liked it, never read this author before, the movie was pretty much like the book. I intend to continue reading this series too.

Shuga First book by this author and i didnt see the movie. Will continue to read series as it becomes available for ebook for free from library? Quick read! Some interesting turns and somewhat realistic portrayal of many defense lawyers!

Zenei I absolutely oved this book and the movie wasn't that bad either. But then I love anything with Matthew McConaughey. As any reader knows, if the book was written first then it is probably better than the movie and this is no different. I highly recommend both.

Vladimir Really nice book with good stroyline and characters. Liked it alot=)

Karen Addington Oh, yes. This IS a good book. Very intriguing and the ending was strong. You will enjoy this novel.

Joyce McKune Never been disappointed in a Michael Connelly book even when I've read it out of order.

message 46: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Conforto I have just started reading this author and I love his books. I have recently decided to start at the begining of his books. It seems that they all go together in some sort of a way. I am looking forward to reading his books.

message 47: by REDD (new) - rated it 4 stars

REDD Interesting twist of events... will have to catch the movie to see how it compares to the book.

Sheri Sandra wrote: "I was doing one of my favorite hobbies, browsing through Goodreads, and I discovered this book. I looked up the movie that is currently out with Matthew McConaughey and discovered that it is based..."

a real page turner. good read great writing and character building.I just finished it this morning and from start to finish couldn't put it down enjoy.

Sheri Judy wrote: "I liked it, but of course while reading I was picturing the main character looking like Matthew McConaughey. It was a fun read with good, off-the-wall characters which make it fun. Hoping the aut..."

he has next one due out in April of 2012 is the Fifth Witness. I'm looking forward to it.sample chapters are available in e-book format.I use a Sony e-reader and have read the first few chapters. He tells more stories of the cases of Mick Haller.

Sheri Beth wrote: "Ben wrote: "i think connelly writes better than patterson. he's the best in the genre. Lincoln Lawyer? it's a great book. a great movie as well..."

On Patterson: his books bore me."

Totally agree.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Lincoln Lawyer (other topics)
The Fifth Witness (other topics)