The Jungle The Jungle discussion

The Jungle

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teresa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:45PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Teresa Papoutsis Upton Sinclair's novel based on real life at the turn of the century is amazing. Theodore Roosevelt did not believe any of the abuse in the labor industry was happening until he read this book and did the investigating himself. I loved the way Sinclair weaved a tale around the gross abuse of captains of industry.

message 2: by Sammy (new)

Sammy Ill admit one thing, Sinclair did do a good job crafting this story. but besides this the book was boring beyond belief.

UptownSinclair Like most who read the book when it was originally published, though I noticed the workers rights abuses in the story, upon completion most of my disdain was reserved for the meat packing industry's sanitation problems.

Rats, slurry, puddles of vile and bits of mank being 'pickled' for the masses. Eww.

I still won't eat tinned meat.

That said, did I enjoy reading the gore aloud to my friends.

Celeste im not even half way through and there are some parts that after i read them i need to close the book and like try not to vomit. like its disgusting and an eye opener

Alyssa I like it so far. I know that now they have all the inspections and stuff, but it makes me glad that the only meat we buy is chicken. (We do our own meat)

Kperry167 The book is important it the story it tells both about the abuses of the workers and about the slaughter of animals for meat. On both counts, it holds true today. Some details have changed but essentially the story is the same as it was then. The haves will use their power to keep the have-nots low. Humans still slaughter animals for food. There is no "humane" way to kill.

Danielle I only read The Jungle recently but it seems to me as though things are going in a circle. After the book was published laws and regulations forced the industry to change and now these days the industry is full of horrific abuses and hygiene issues. My Year of Meats
by Ruth Ozeki is a novel based on her research, it's another horrifying read.