European Royalty discussion

European Royalty Discussions > Added some titles to the Book Shelf

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (jenn_reed) | 19 comments I've added some Fiction and non-fiction titles to the group book shelves. Since the Valois dukes are the royal cousins of the French Valois kings, I've placed them under French Royalty.

Margaret of York is the sister of King Edward IV and Richard III; married to Charles the Bold in 1468, so I've placed her under both British Royalty and French Royalty.

message 2: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Awesome! It's great to get some more books that aren't just British added to the shelves. Good call on placing Margaret of York under both British and French - I know I tried to do that with other royal women who crossed country borders (that I was aware of).

message 3: by Angie (new)

Angie | 34 comments I've just found The Brothers of Gwynedd Quartet by Edith Pargeter about medieval Welsh princes. Has anyone read any of them, Sunrise in the West, The Dragon at Noonday, the Hounds of Sunset and Afterglow and Nightfall? I'm curious as I know next to nothing about Wales, although the name Llewelyn does ring a bell, I can't say why. The Brothers of Gwynedd Quartet by Edith Pargeter

message 4: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 696 comments Hi Angie, I have read The Brothers of G and found it a bit dry. Part of it was that it was written in the first person POV and really limited some of the telling of the story, part being I read them one after the other instead of four separate books so there was some back tracking of the story and lastly I read these shortly after Penman's Welsh Trilogy and it paled in comparison to that. Pargeter also wrote The Heaven Tree Trilogy which though slow paced, the story and prose is so gorgeous it makes up for it. She also writes a medieval mystery series under another name, but I'm drawing a blank on it right now.

For reading about Wales and the two Llewlyn (The Great and his grandson The Last) I highly recommend Penman's Welsh trilogy, although for those who don't like spoilers stay off the internet and Wik until you're done with the three. In order,

Here Be Dragons
Falls the Shadow
The Reckoning

message 5: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 696 comments Question about the book shelf -- I'm new here and I'm wondering about the process and who puts them there or can anyone put a book on the shelf? Thanks.

message 6: by Cera (new)

Cera Misfit,

Pargeter's other name is Ellis Peters, under which she wrote the Brother Cadfael mysteries. Sadly, she died in 1995.

I've read most of the Cadfael books and adored them, although I think their view of the 12th century is rather sentimental. I haven't tried her non-mystery historical fiction yet.

message 7: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 696 comments Thanks Cera, that's the author. I'm not big on historical mysteries so I haven't tried those yet.

message 8: by Sara W (last edited Oct 09, 2008 03:14PM) (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Anyone can put books on the shelf, so feel free! Make up new shelf labels as well if you don't find one that you need. You don't have to label them "French royalty", "British royalty", etc., but it would help other people find the books easier.

The only shelves I really try to control myself are the nomination shelf, read-w-group shelf and currently reading shelf. Other than that, knock yourself out (the read shelf and to read shelf don't really mean much here)!

message 9: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 696 comments Thanks Sara, careful what you've asked for you might get it :)

Although Penman's Devils Brood should keep me busy enough at least this weekend (scary, I had to take vacations days so I could get into reading the book faster).

message 10: by Boogoalo (new)

Boogoalo Very cools. Thanks, Sara!

Holly
http://www.wondersandmarvels.com

message 11: by Angie (new)

Angie | 34 comments Thanks very much for the tip. I'll keep an eye out for the Penman books. This just seemed like an easy option as the books are only 200 pages each. I'll take your recommendation. Thanks again!

message 12: by Sara W (last edited Oct 10, 2008 10:54AM) (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Ha ha, I'm just glad people are interested in the shelves! I loved when Goodreads finally allowed us to label the shelves in the groups. I went a little crazy at first adding shelves, and I went through the posts and started to add books people had talked about. I should start doing that again when I have time (although this group has gotten so active it'll be hard to keep up with it!).

And if you feel something is mislabelled or should have multiple labels (say, French and British for Eleanor of Aquitaine) when you are going through the shelves, feel free to make changes or add additional labels to a book.

message 13: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 696 comments I was playing around with this today and I thought I imported some books from a couple of Listmanias of mine and then had a **duh** moment as I realized while HF they aren't all European royalty. I can't find them on the shelf here so I don't quite know where they went....

Anyway, apologies if I've put a book here in appropriately, direct me there and I'll try to make it go away :-)

message 14: by Katri (new)

Katri (Valancy) | 7 comments I'm a new member and noticed that there aren't enough books on the bookshelf about Austrian royalty (probably because there just haven't been many members so far who are particularly interested in Austrian royalty), so I added a few on the Empress Elisabeth and the Crown Prince Rudolf. Maybe I'll add more when I can think of suitable titles - though unfortunately there aren't many really good books which are comparatively easy to find and available in English.

message 15: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Welcome Katri! Thanks for the additions! I've been wanting to read a book about the Empress Elisabeth (she's the one who also went by Sissi, right, or am I mixing two people up?).

message 16: by Katri (new)

Katri (Valancy) | 7 comments Yes, that's her. Although the correct form is actually "Sisi" - that's the nickname she was actually called by, and Sissi has later been popularized by certain less-than-historically-accurate movies and such because it was the more common form of Elisabeth. But most people don't know that because the form Sissi comes up more often, at least outside German-speaking countries. I'm glad if my additions are useful to someone wanting to know more about her!