Oprah's Book Club at Goodreads discussion

Oprah Books, Banter and Bling > food...dr. oz's green drink

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karey (last edited Aug 20, 2008 08:52PM) (new)

Karey (kareyshane) | 162 comments Mod
I was watching Oprah a few weeks ago when she and Dr. Oz made this green drink. I'd had a friend in junior high whose family had a green drink every morning, and I thought, "If it was good enough for her family and now it's on Oprah, then maybe..."

So I tried it. And guess what? I have one almost every day now. I add a lot more ginger than the recipe calls for and love it. Fresh, but bland with a bit of heat. I just made some for lunch just now.

Dr. Oz’s Green Drink

* 2 cups spinach (or handfuls)
* 2 cups cucumber (or one medium cucumber)
* 1 head of celery
* 1/2 inch or teaspoon ginger root
* 1 bunch parsley (a handful, chopped)
* 2 apples
* Juice of 1 lime
* Juice of 1/2 lemon
* Enough water to make it of drinking consistency
* Ice if you want it cold

Makes 3-4 servings. After everything is combined in a blender, (lots of small pulses, then when it's mixed, you can whirr away) this recipe makes 28 to 30 ounces—about three to four servings.

I add a lot more water, because for some reason, mine always comes out thicker than it did on the show.

message 2: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) I may be missing something, but I don't see water in the recipe.

Charlene McConnell | 3 comments Dr. Oz recommended this drink for what purpose? I am curious since the ingredients are so unusual. Weight loss? Heart health?

message 4: by Karey (last edited Aug 20, 2008 08:52PM) (new)

Karey (kareyshane) | 162 comments Mod
Woops, I forgot to add the water...I'll change that right now. Thanks Randi!

All I know is Dr. Oz recommended the drink for overall health. He and his family drink it most mornings for breakfast.