Hope: Mitt Romney
Fear: No One
Do Not Want: Joe Lieberman

Obama

Hope: Bill Richardson
Fear: Hillary
Do Not want: Evan Bayh

message 2: by Varmint (new)

Varmint drudge is saying obama is down in the polls.

this is hillary's moment. if he's still behind by the time they hold that convention floor vote, she will strike.

why else would she have held on to her delegates.

the republicans don't have much of a bench this year. romney is coma inducing. jindal's too young, huckabee is named huckabee. i'm already resigned to lesser evil mode with mccain. just pick someone and get it all over with.

message 3: by Not Bill (new)

Not Bill | 1062 comments McCain: Sarah Palin

Obama: Party Boy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBaEjE...

message 4: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Hillary can strike all she wants. She lacks both the delegates and the superdelegates to do anything relevant. Fuck her.

The DNC kowtowing to her smacks of cowardice. Howard Dean should have told the Clintons to shut the fuck up and support their candidate. Let her cry in private. This is the time for the party to be united, but, nooooooo! The crybaby Clintons have to ruin it for everyone.

No wonder I can't stand the DNC anymore. I feel so betrayed.

message 5: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) | 3620 comments Mod
I think it would be really interesting if Obama took Caroline Kennedy

in a bar fight?

like the hussy that she is?

wearing a pirate shirt open to his navel, on the pitching and heaving decks of his frigate?

on a sleigh ride?

for all she's worth?

: )

message 6: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Funniest. Comment. Ever.

Well played, Madame Charissa. Well played.

message 7: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

:::bows::: why thank you, Sir Gus. :::tosses him a churlish rose blossom:::

message 8: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

wow... that one is so churlish it died. : )

message 9: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Those churlish rose blossoms look EXACTLY like the churlish rose blossoms I planted in front of my house.

Looks like I have a churlish thumb, not a green thumb.

message 10: by Varmint (new)

Varmint sarah palin is a cutie, and has a decent reputation. she's thin on foreign policy, but it's not like obama can attack anyone on lack of experience.

i suspect the clintons would be willing to see the entire democrat party go down in flames if it gave her a clean shot at 2012. but that's their problem, not mine.

message 11: by Xysea (new)

Xysea  (xysea) McCain

Hope: Lincoln Chafee
Fear: Ridge
Do Not Want: Romney

Obama:

Hope: Sibelius
Fear: a Republican of some sort
Do Not Want: Clinton

message 12: by Cyril (new)

Cyril I just hope the VP goes back to being someone whose job is to 1. cast tie-breaking votes in the Senate, and 2. take over if the President becomes incapacitated. I don't support the "let's have the VP do more stuff" argument.

message 13: by Xysea (new)

Xysea  (xysea) Here, here, Cyril!

Servius  Heiner  | 1980 comments Mod
McCain:

Hope: Lieberman
Fear: huckabee/Romney
Do.Not.Want> Romney

Sarah Palin: She is a straight shooter, and has made a name for herself in stomping the shit out of dirty crooks. But she is a newbie. Give it 8 years and we will see. (oh and she is pretty hot)

Obama:

I would rather not throw my vote in on this one. I just don’t care for the man/policies. If he wins then it doesn’t really matter to me. I’ll just hold my breath and hope I come out alright in 4 years

message 15: by Kelly (new)

Kelly It's probably going to be Bayh on Obama's side, I think. Which is kind of depressing, because I just couldn't care less about the man. I guess you could say worse about a VP candidate, though.

McCain:
Do. Not. Want.: Romney or Huckabee, or anyone off the crazy Christian right.

message 16: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) It’s funny that everyone is so afraid of Romney. I personally don’t want him as VP, because I would rather he headed up the Department of the Treasury. You know he’s a financial genius if the liberals in MASS. were able to grit their teeth and vote him in.

I’m indifferent to Obama’s choice, because I’m not voting for him, regardless. And I just assume that, as usual, McCain is going to disappoint me with whomever he chooses, so I’m trying not to think about it.

message 17: by Arminius (last edited Aug 22, 2008 08:34AM) (new)

Arminius Good point Rusty. Romney probably would be a better fit at Treasury. I wonder why anyone fears Ridge, though. He actually did a good job as Pennsylvania Governor. He lowered the state income tax, he instituted tax free zones for businesses in depressed areas. He shocked a poor performing Philadelphia school with a state take-over threat and then headed Home Land Security at its creation.

message 18: by Not Bill (new)

Not Bill | 1062 comments ooooo that crazy christian right. Wacky! But that crazy christian left is just dandy eh?

message 19: by Not Bill (new)

Not Bill | 1062 comments I still say Party Boy for BO.....now that would be a fun administration. Next time Putin invades a country, BO sends out Party Boy to shake hi butt until he agrees to a ceasefire. Personally, I'd give him 4 seconds before he knuckles under.

message 20: by Arminius (new)

Arminius This may be debatable but I do not think Romney and Ridges religions are part of the Christian right.

message 21: by Not Bill (new)

Not Bill | 1062 comments Debatable true, but look at Romney's record. He was an effective and popular governor of one of the most liberal states in the country. I think he's demonstrated that he reallizes his personal beliefs are just that - and need not be foisted upon the electorate. Ridge never struck me as part of Christian right, but then I'm not too familiar with him. Huckabee is most definitely - I'm much more uncomfortable with his candidacy than Romney's.

message 22: by Xysea (new)

Xysea  (xysea) Not Bill,

I'd be interested in learning about the Krazy Kristian Left™ seeing as the Right seems to think we're all godless and going to Hell, anyway...

message 23: by Varmint (new)

Varmint if you're interested in learning about the christian left, look up some of jeremiah wright's sermons on youtube.

the "ridin' dirty" one is my favorite.

message 24: by Not Bill (new)

Not Bill | 1062 comments Tinity United Church of Christ...thanks Varmint.

message 25: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) “the Right seems to think we're all godless and going to Hell, anyway...”

Xysea, yes you are correct that there are some very judgmental people on the fringe of the Christian Right, but they do not constitute the main part of Christians, much less the main part of the Right. It is important not to mistake ideologies of those on the outer fringes for those of the mainstream. I understand very well that the freaks in Berkley do not represent the mainstream of the Left. And you need to understand that the freaks who yell at women going into abortion clinics do not represent the mainstream of the Right. I think that most of us Christians understand that it is God’s place to judge, not ours. Personally, I’m too busy trying to avoid hell myself to worry about who else might be going there.

message 26: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

all the best people are going to hell. I'll be there, poking badgers with spoons.

message 28: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 1818 comments Mod
Hee!

message 29: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) Likely as not, I’ll beat you there, Charissa. If I do, I’ll save you a seat, and find some really good badger-pokin’ spoons.

message 30: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell The Christian left gives some crazy sermons. Fine. What exactly are they doing, though? The Christian right is trying to restrict women's reproductive rights and the rights of gays to marry. What's the equivalent on the Christian left?

message 31: by Not Bill (new)

Not Bill | 1062 comments ummmm I'd say their sermons are little beyond "crazy".

The equivalent on the Christian Left would be the divest from Israel movement that swept through many a Christian church. I broke from my church when they hopped on that bigoted bandwagon.

message 32: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell Is that all? That's private action. How are they using the power of Government to restrict people's choices, like the right is doing?

message 33: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) I don’t accept your contention, Dave. You’re asking someone to respond to you operating within your personal morality.

message 34: by Not Bill (new)

Not Bill | 1062 comments The Green Party made it part of their platform.
http://www.gp.org/press/pr_2005_11_28...

message 35: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell I'm sure I understood your post, Rusty.

NB, is the Green Party a religious organization?

message 36: by Not Bill (new)

Not Bill | 1062 comments You asked a question, Dave, and I answered it. I can't help it if you don't like the answser.

message 37: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell I asked about the religious left, though, not the Green Party.

message 38: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell Perhaps I didn't say "religious" in msg. 37, but it was implied by my previous message.

message 39: by Not Bill (new)

Not Bill | 1062 comments Your implication then is that the Green Party is made up purely of communists and atheists?

message 40: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) What I understood from your post #37 Dave, is that you don’t appreciate activism when it’s for causes with which you don’t agree. Not being hostile, that’s what I understand from what you posted. It seems that your post pre-supposes that everyone shares your ideology, thus should defend themselves.

message 41: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

I guess the difference is the Christian Right is very organized, and alarming in the amount of influence it wields, whereas the Christian Left may be wacky, but it isn't a monolithic-seeming block determined to force the country to its will.

The Green Party no doubt includes some left-leaning Christians, but they aren't the motivating force behind it.

message 42: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) P.S. Bunny and Dave - Don’t worry, half the time I don’t know what the hell I’m saying.

message 43: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

Another thing that troubles me about the Christian Right is that they want to make everyone follow their moral code. The Christian Left is much more "live and let live".

message 44: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

Hmm, I guess for me, the issue isn't political, but the questionable religious ethics here.

I can't reconcile the Christian Right's actions with the teachings of Jesus. They condemn and judge, rather than forgive and help others.

They ARE, however, completely within the bounds of what is legal and acceptable within our political system. They're just reaaaaally annoying.
As are the lefty extremists, for that matter.

message 45: by Not Bill (new)

Not Bill | 1062 comments It depends Jackie - there are many who equate environmentalism with the religious left. In that sense, both extremes are trying to force their morals on the rest of us via the govt.

The thing is everyone is free to petition their govt. Whether it's organized around Christianity, environmentalism or whatever. All are free to do so. You don't like something? Something scares you? Then get active, get out there and get yourself heard above the crowd.

message 46: by Not Bill (new)

Not Bill | 1062 comments heh..dang it Jackie you type fastre than me! lol

message 47: by Not Bill (new)

Not Bill | 1062 comments ..and better too

message 48: by Not Bill (new)

Not Bill | 1062 comments that is something we most definitely can agree on

message 49: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) I don’t understand what the issue is with “The Christian Right”. People on the left are frustrated because conservatives have rallied under the banner of their church? If they didn’t do it there, those same individuals would do it somewhere else, under a different banner – The Elks Club, I don’t know. And they would do it being possessed of the same morals and religious beliefs – so what does it matter if it’s the Christian Right or the Elks Club Right?

My church rarely dips its toes in the political forum, and I’m grateful for that, but I don’t know why “:religious conservatives” are a greater cause of consternation than plain “conservatives”.

message 50: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

Sure, I guess you could say environmentalism is basically a spiritual belief to a lot of leftists. It's not necessarily Christian, but it's certainly a belief system.

I'm with you, Not Bill, in agreeing that everyone is free to petition the government, right, left, Christian, treehugger, whatever.

Freedom of speech, hurray!

« previous 1 3